• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Imported carbon fiber tripod (RT90C)

Don’t know if this has been mentioned before , but here is a little mod I did to my rt90C, and boy what a difference it made.

When I first started using my rt90c for night hunting I was horrified how loud the legs were. Whenever I folded the legs they would somewhat cross and the knurled tightening knobs would bang together. It sounded like pots and pans banging together in the quiet of the night. It was bad enough I was trying to sell the tripod and was going to replace it with another brand that the legs don’t cross (nice feature).
I got an idea and found some 45mm heat shrink on Amazon meant for fishing rods.
The 45 mm tubing will fit all 3 section locks on the tripod. I did all 9 twist locks on mine , and wow what a difference it makes !
Any pictures of how it turned out?

Don’t know if this has been mentioned before , but here is a little mod I did to my rt90C, and boy what a difference it made.

When I first started using my rt90c for night hunting I was horrified how loud the legs were. Whenever I folded the legs they would somewhat cross and the knurled tightening knobs would bang together. It sounded like pots and pans banging together in the quiet of the night. It was bad enough I was trying to sell the tripod and was going to replace it with another brand that the legs don’t cross (nice feature).
The 45 mm tubing will fit all 3 section locks on the tripod. I did all 9 twist locks on mine , and wow what a difference it makes !
can you post a link?

Has anyone who is using one of the Artcise/Innorel ball heads tried to remove and replace the clamp at the top? I’m specifically asking about the XB54, but I’m assuming the various 52-55mm heads are similar.

The screw is in there REALLY tight. So much so that I’ve already stripped it out trying remove. Tried some heat, but apparently wasn’t enough.

Does anyone know if it’s some kind of epoxy/threadlocker in there, or if they just employ a Chinese mountain gorilla for assembly? Any other tips on removal?

Has anyone who is using one of the Artcise/Innorel ball heads tried to remove and replace the clamp at the top? I’m specifically asking about the XB54, but I’m assuming the various 52-55mm heads are similar.

The screw is in there REALLY tight. So much so that I’ve already stripped it out trying remove. Tried some heat, but apparently wasn’t enough.

Does anyone know if it’s some kind of epoxy/threadlocker in there, or if they just employ a Chinese mountain gorilla for assembly? Any other tips on removal?

I initially bought the RT90C to use as a spotting platform for precision matches. After going through some different ball heads I settled on the Sunwayfoto IB-30. I've gone on to use it to great success for varmint hunting, shooting squirrels standing off the tripod from point blank to 200 yards with my 223 and out just past 100 with my Vudoo 22LR (pictured below). The RT90C now seems a bit heavy to be walking around with. I may be in search of a lighter option for next year's varmint shoots.

View attachment 8251054

When new, the IB-30 held tension well, but after a year or more, it was right on the edge of holding the rifle securely without tipping.

I looked further into the construction of the IB-30 and found you can adjust the tension. Just remove the screw that holds the tension lever and you can then re-index it to hold tighter. Hopefully this helps someone who's displeased with the initial tension these offer.

View attachment 8251057
Nice. Looking at purchasing a similar set up for hunting/rifle use. How’s the height of the tripod? I’m 6-5” and concerned about the height.

Reactions: MustangGreg66
Nice. Looking at purchasing a similar set up for hunting/rifle use. How’s the height of the tripod? I’m 6-5” and concerned about the height.
Will most likely be low for you if you’re glassing with it depending on terrain but shooting off it shouldn’t be an issue. I’m like 6’ 2” ish and can shoot off it without issue since I typically try to keep the rifle mid chest to shoulder height depending on what I’m doing. Now for glassing I’ve got it fully extended for binos and I’ve got to hunch down a bit, with my spotter I’m definitely hunched a lot, I ended up find a leofoto SO-386 and it’s a skyscraper fully extended but it’s a two section leg making it long.

IMG_6508.jpeg

IMG_6514.jpeg

Reactions: Fresh2death
I'm 6' 2" and find the height works well. If I stand up straight I'm just looking over the binos when glassing. I like to stand a little wider anyway. At 6' 5" you might find it too low.

20240313_113144.jpg

Reactions: Fresh2death
I'm 6' 2" and find the height works well. If I stand up straight I'm just looking over the binos when glassing. I like to stand a little wider anyway. At 6' 5" you might find it too low.

View attachment 8371816

Thanks for the info fellas. Ended up getting a Leofoto SA-364c + ma-30 for $287 shipped from Desmond photo on eBay. Couldn’t pass that up. It appears the height is the same as the rt90. I’m only going to be shooting from it so the height should be ok.

Reactions: King_beardsly