• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Imported carbon fiber tripod (RT90C)

I’m going to order the RT80c. Do I need to get it with the bowl adapter or without? My use will mostly be for the spotting scope. I have a Kowa 884.

What other parts would I need to mount the scope? Thanks for the help. I know nothing about this

I’m going to order the RT80c. Do I need to get it with the bowl adapter or without? My use will mostly be for the spotting scope. I have a Kowa 884.

What other parts would I need to mount the scope? Thanks for the help. I know nothing about this
Look at the RS80-C I have both here and am getting rid of the RT80C. I prefer the compact head in a hunting/shooting setup.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220329-193310_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220329-193310_Chrome.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 166
  • Screenshot_20220329-193245_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220329-193245_Chrome.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 178
  • 16485995813955833804841453467035.jpg
    16485995813955833804841453467035.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 165
Is it stable when fully extended? I’m 6’2” and want to be able to use it while standing.
If you are worried about that and are OK with the weight/bulk get the CS90C.

Ball head is good. Anvil 30 is better. I have a Davros Pro on mine for hunting. If you have ARCA, the Anvil-30 will be the best choice. That is where I'll end up on my CS90C.

IMO the heads are a bigger difference (especially value for money) than the tripod.

Is it stable when fully extended? I’m 6’2” and want to be able to use it while standing.
The stability starts to drop off more significantly when the lowest/smallest leg section is deployed. Does that help?

Reactions: bwp86
If you are worried about that and are OK with the weight/bulk get the CS90C.

Ball head is good. Anvil 30 is better. I have a Davros Pro on mine for hunting. If you have ARCA, the Anvil-30 will be the best choice. That is where I'll end up on my CS90C.

IMO the heads are a bigger difference (especially value for money) than the tripod.
How is the anvil 30 head for a spotting scope?

How is the anvil 30 head for a spotting scope?
There may be better choices for a spotting scope but the Anvil will work well. If you only want one ball head, the Anvil is the one. I have no issues using it with binos. If I were setting up a tripod just for a spotting scope/binos, I 'might' consider another ball head to try.

Drifting here I think... ~$450 RRS Anvils? ...in an import RT90 thread? ...sort of like dropping into an Arken thread and recommending a Spuhr mount... :p

This holds my 23lb rifle fine and is practically free, but 99% of the time it holds binos. If it breaks I can buy 14 more until someone can say "you should've got an Anvil" lol!

If one really plans on shooting off it a bunch and is serious about that, you should probably just buy an Anvil, or something cooler, and a more upscale tripod too; this stuff is just for dicking around IMHO...

Drifting here I think... ~$450 RRS Anvils? ...in an import RT90 thread? ...sort of like dropping into an Arken thread and recommending a Spuhr mount... :p

This holds my 23lb rifle fine and is practically free, but 99% of the time it holds binos. If it breaks I can buy 14 more until someone can say "you should've got an Anvil" lol!

If one really plans on shooting off it a bunch and is serious about that, you should probably just buy an Anvil, or something cooler, and a more upscale tripod too; this stuff is just for dicking around IMHO...

I run an Anvil off my import RT90c. I don't think the carbon legs actually have any real complaint when comparing to RRS legs, yeh they're heavier and beefier, but the RT90c is damn sturdy, albeit it's 6lbs vs 4lbs on an RRS. The Anvil-30 head is superb for all its uses so I think it was well worth the investment on that. And worse case, if I really want RRS legs in the future, the Anvil-30 will just move over to it.

That was my thinking when I first went the Anvil-30 route... if I'm going to keep getting serious about shooting that'll probably stay in my kit, and I can always get pricier tripod legs in the future.

Nobody drifted. It was asked specifically how the Anvil 30 worked with a spotting scope. Also, many here, including myself, use(d) an anvil 30 with the RT90. One member makes an adapter plate specially for the RT90 to mate with an Anvil 30.

Nobody drifted. It was asked specifically how the Anvil 30 worked with a spotting scope. Also, many here, including myself, use(d) an anvil 30 with the RT90. One member makes an adapter plate specially for the RT90 to mate with an Anvil 30.
I was kidding. Sarcasm doesn't go over via text sometimes I guess.

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
Have the RT-90 + Anvil. Used to have the Desmond ball head on there.

For shooting, the Anvil is fantastic. The giant 40mm legs make it pretty stable, and the Anvil ergonomics allow you to quickly adjust the lever to get the tension you want. For spotting (or binos), it's a compromise. The anvil works fine, it's just harder to set up and move. A ballhead is easier to transition targets with. The RRS bino mount is the shit though, if you are going direct-mount. I don't usually start cussing my Anvil unless I'm spotting all day for a match that requires a lot of distance between targets per stage.

Truth be told, I think direct mount table + bag + binos setup might be the way to go if you are talking range day (IE: PRS or field shooting match) spotting. I never run an actual spotter anymore, and lust after a set of 15X NL Pures w/ a mil reticle.

This is what I ran for my matches... and yeh if it's a long distance per stage it's a pain in the ass.

View attachment 7845167
Too much glass.🤠

I run the same sans the spotter and table and just carry the tripod extended and binos still attached. Sling my rifle on the front and then a backpack. In that order. Rifle on last and off first. Super easy to just push a tripod leg open with your leg and it will generally stand easily. Drop the rifle and then the backpack. Then I can open the tripod completely and set it up where I want for that stage.

I wanted the mil reticle spotter to check my target sizes and also for movers to see the movement speed. Also to see the mil corrections for wind.
What adapter is that between the anvil and rt90c?

Looking for the head that comes with the RTC90 Tripod. Any of you guys that upgraded and have the original laying around. The ball with handle and plate.

All kidding aside, you can use a decent size rain pancho as a tent with your tripod. Several iterations for sitting or lying.

Reactions: Badjujuu
All kidding aside, you can use a decent size rain pancho as a tent with your tripod. Several iterations for sitting or lying.
I'm trying to figure out how I can use a tripod in place of the trekking pole a lot of ultralight tents have gone to using for their support.

I'm trying to figure out how I can use a tripod in place of the trekking pole a lot of ultralight tents have gone to using for their support.

Night Force was selling a junky Chinese carbon fiber tripod a few years ago that one of the legs unscrewed. Sooooo, unscrew one of the legs?

For anyone interested -

I can completely understand why the sunwayfoto IB-30 is now harder to find stateside then hens teeth. It’s a complete ripoff of the anvil-30 and RRS sent out a cease and desist letter for US distribution

Last edited:
Looks like there’s a newer model
As95c
Roughly the same price, any reason to not get this? Or be “safe” and get the RT90C

I run an Anvil off my import RT90c. I don't think the carbon legs actually have any real complaint when comparing to RRS legs, yeh they're heavier and beefier, but the RT90c is damn sturdy, albeit it's 6lbs vs 4lbs on an RRS. The Anvil-30 head is superb for all its uses so I think it was well worth the investment on that. And worse case, if I really want RRS legs in the future, the Anvil-30 will just move over to it.

That was my thinking when I first went the Anvil-30 route... if I'm going to keep getting serious about shooting that'll probably stay in my kit, and I can always get pricier tripod legs in the future.
How does the anvil 30 mount to the RT90c

Buy the plate. Not only does it give a extreme solid platform for the Anvil 30 to work with, It can be removed w/ the Anvil 30 still attached in seconds. And as @littlepod mentioned, you can loosen it in the tripod for smooth panning.

I still don't get the plate. What does the bottom of the Anvil look like that you need it? Why can't you just screw it on to the factory one?