• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Impossible, or just dumb, AI AX question

gro

Private
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2013
Oregon
Hey everyone, as the title states this may be impossible to answer, or just dumb to ask, but I was wondering what kind of round count can one expect out of an Accuracy International AX or AXMC? Obviously the larger the caliber, the shorter the life, and the hotter loads versus factory ammo. Given that bolts and barrels are replaceable, has anyone heard of a receiver or chassis being worn out? What is the highest round count that you have seen on these in any caliber? I am asking out of curiosity, but also because I am considering buying a used one and wondering how much life is left.

Thanks,
Greg.

Ignoring barrels which are a consumable don't expect to wear one out any time soon. There was a thread a while back (several years) which frank posted the round count of Jacob's AW (which last I saw was over 120k rounds) and the only thing that broke during that time again from memory was the bolt stop in which AI recommend replacing at 100k rounds.

I'm a couple barrels in on both my short and long action AXMC's. My AI's will probably outlast my children's children and an alien invasion.

If you want to buy used I would and just put a brand new barrel on and call it a day. I wouldn't hesitate in picking up a second hand AI at all

Last edited:
Here is one of the posts I am referring to. This was posted back in 2014. I've seen the round count posted since then but not going searching.

You don't need a spare part for an AI...

Jacob Bynum at Rifles Only has his AW with 110,000 rounds through the action. He has changed 12 barrels,

at 93,000 the bolt stop pin broke, they overnighted him a pin.

Call him if you fell the need to carry a spare part for an AI.

I have had an AI since 2002, never needed a spare part.

The quote is from this thread.

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/ai-aw-vs-700-style-actions-which-fails-more.40644/

And for whatever it's worth i've owned 5 Accuracy internationals from AE MKII through to the new AXMC's and aside from an issue with heat treating on the bolt of the AE MKII which didn't stop me from being able to use the rifle and AI very promptly took care of i've never need a part for any of them.

I picked up an AW from a board member here. He got it as a LE trade in from Mile High. Had no issues with getting a third hand AI. Rifle shoots lights out. With the new switch barrels out there's some damn good deals to be had on the older AX's. Picked up one of those to. They've even replaced customs that I had built.

Awesome. Thanks for the information, it definitely makes the used AIs here an even better deal. Now to convince the wife...

Btw if you want a super cheap AI, there is an AE MK1 in the PX for $1700. Stupid cheap, no connection to the seller personally.

Or... go to Gunbroker and look for Mile High’s demo rifles. Best pre owned rifles and service without a doubt

You'll pretty much never wear out the chassis and action on the AI rifles unless you do something really crazy.
The .338LM is not actually that hard on the action
The great news is that you can get replacement barrels all easily & cheaply & putting them on is very easy (the exact process varies by model & generation).

I had a HEAVILY used AW short action a few years back that had so many high pressure rounds through it that, from what AI told be, it deformed the bolt lugs to the point that it would no longer slide smoothly through the raceways. A few hundred bucks later and I was back in business.