• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Improved Cobray shotgun LIVE FIRE VIDEO IS UP

buffalowinter

Freer of the Oppressed
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 17, 2014
    Llano, TX
    I like to make simple guns, an interesting example is the Cobray Terminator shotgun. The Cobray is a single shot shotgun. It has a fixed breech with firing pin, often mistakenly called an "open bolt". Actually the Cobray is a unique system that is neither open bolt nor "blow forward". To fire the Cobray a shell is placed into the open port and pushed into the barrel. The barrel is under spring pressure and when released, is forced rearward into a fixed firing pin in the breech plug. The round fires and barrel is blown forward. To load, the barrel is pushed forward and rotated into a locked position A round is inserted, and the barrel is unlocked, much like an MP5, by pushing the charging handle downward. The barrel then moves a small distance rearward where it is caught by a catch. Pulling the trigger, drops this catch allowing the barrel to move rearward under spring pressure and fire. In the video below, you will see the host complain about misfires and light primer strikes. The Cobray actually has an adjustable firing pin whose depth can easily be adjusted...it is simply a threaded firing pin locked in place with a set screw. My improvements include a more ergonomically placed charging handle, an extractor, muzzle brake, and sturdy folding butt stock. A marketing failure, and universally hated, the Cobray now commands collector prices of around $1400.

The original Cobray
    486508_02_very_rare_cobray_terminator_sh_640.jpg

The Cobray Terminator

Work in progress.
    DSCF0509.JPG

DSCF0510.JPG

DSCF0511.JPG

Possible trigger housings.
    DSCF0513.JPG

DSCF0514.JPG

DSCF0512.JPG

Last edited:
    This thread was crazy timing, just yesterday I was looking at one on gb, a buddy has it listed for sale, never heard of it and thought it was interesting. (No idea if price is fair or not just thought I’d share)

Yes, I just checked it out. Like I found before, around $1300. They were dealer priced at $90 when introduced in 1987. That's why I decided to build one of my own, only better. It's one of those things that were so weird that they didn't sell and consequently very few are left and have a strong niche collector market. Just try to buy a Bushmaster 5.56 survival "pistol", Daewoo 5.56, COP 4 barrel derringer, Robinson Expeditionary rifle, SPAS 12, etc.

Ah Cobray... I remember having an 11/9 back in the late '80s. All of, I think, about $200. It was a POS. But it was also cool and, well, they had them on Miami Vice!

I'd never even heard of this shotgun thingie until this thread!

As usual... some cool stuff there buddy! Nice build quality, too!

Sirhr

Reactions: 1911hombre
    Work continues...

Trigger pack
    DSCF0545.JPG

Yes, that's an AR-15 trigger spring being used as the sear spring
    DSCF0546.JPG

Maker and Serial number
    DSCF0544.JPG

Modified M1 Carbine front sight
    DSCF0547.JPG

Picatinny mount
    DSCF0548.JPG

I'm on the third iteration of making an extractor. I think I'm going to have to go with dual extractors. I tried a simple ejector without much success. I don't want to have a complicated solution. I think turn to the side and dump the empty may be the best solution for a single shot shotgun.
    DSCF0543.JPG

I love it.
    Also, probably a better build quality than Serbu's pipe gun.