• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Impulse buy: X-Bolt Pro LR McMillan Or something else.

Craqas

Private
Minuteman
Oct 15, 2022
Pittsburgh, PA
Edit: Selling the X-bolt, looking to possibly build something.

Just aquired a browning X-bolt Pro McMillan in 6.5cm, 26”. Got it for far less than MSRP (~$2200). So my question is, for the amount, can I do better? A bit higher priced production gun, would like to see everyone’s opinions.

Before I impulsively bought this, A Tikka CTR was on the radar, with a KRG bravo.
Only reason I have a little buyers remorse is: My range is 300 yards and I’ll mostly be shooting this distance, 26” is a bit long. I do have access to 500-1000 yards at camp, but my club is much closer. I’ll also be shooting a decent amount suppressed, so 26” with a suppressor is a big boy. Also was leaning toward .308.

As far as glass, was looking at VX5 3-15 44 or similar, ~$1000 range.. Open to suggestions all around.

Any recommendations/thoughts and/or other options within this budget is greatly appreciated. I have an open slate, just want a fun bolt action gun where I can target shoot and occasionally take it out for a hunt or two.

Last edited:
Brownings do not lend themselves to be very aftermarket friendly. Almost no one offers a chassis for them. Barrels are harder to get for them too iirc.

If you’re looking to be in that 2200-2500 ballpark, I would suggest a zermatt origin, TriggerTech diamond or special, proof stainless steel prefit, and whatever the remaining amount is, on a chassis or stock of your choice.

The origin is a r700 footprint so the options for upgrades and trying new things is endless.

Reactions: Craqas
Plenty of companies offer prefits for the origin so you can always go that route to get your desired barrel contour as you mentioned hunting. Proof offers one contour and it’s a very heavy contour at that and I would not want to take hunting very long distances.

Get an optic that is FFP and has exposed turrets for your adjustments. A viper pst gen 2 would be decent or a Burris xtriii 3-18. I don’t know what you want to spend but based on the two you listed, you’re looking in the 1k ish range for glass?

Reactions: Craqas
Plenty of companies offer prefits for the origin so you can always go that route to get your desired barrel contour as you mentioned hunting. Proof offers one contour and it’s a very heavy contour at that and I would not want to take hunting very long distances.

Get an optic that is FFP and has exposed turrets for your adjustments. A viper pst gen 2 would be decent or a Burris xtriii 3-18. I don’t know what you want to spend but based on the two you listed, you’re looking in the 1k ish range for glass?
Would like to be in that ballpark for glass. Will look those. Thank you.

Reactions: Krob95
Brownings do not lend themselves to be very aftermarket friendly. Almost no one offers a chassis for them. Barrels are harder to get for them too iirc.

If you’re looking to be in that 2200-2500 ballpark, I would suggest a zermatt origin, TriggerTech diamond or special, proof stainless steel prefit, and whatever the remaining amount is, on a chassis or stock of your choice.

The origin is a r700 footprint so the options for upgrades and trying new things is endless.
I think a caught a bug, looking into your suggestions made me realize I can build something within my budget. Thanks again.

Reactions: Krob95
I think a caught a bug, looking into your suggestions made me realize I can build something within my budget. Thanks again.
Absolutely man! You’ll be much happier with a custom over the browning. And like I said. The opportunity to try out new things is endless due to the popularity of the short action R700 footprint.

Reactions: Craqas and Modoc