• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

IMR 4320, what's the best use

308sako

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Feb 15, 2008
    Brothel Nevada
    With the current powder availability I've decided to get rid of all old stock, partial cans etc.

I found a few old metal IMR 4320 cans and decided to burn it up. .223, 6 XC (light bullets) .308, .30-06 what do you suggest?

62BergerIMR43203510ftsecs_zps240099dc.jpg

Found a use, light bullets in the 6 XC.

62 Berger match at 3500 ft/secs

Just think Varget burn-rate area, not necessaliry the same weight in the cartridge though. Weight-wise, it's a little denser than Varget so more weight will go in a case. A bit more temp unstable than Varget but it's an extruded powder, should be more stable than most ball powders.

With the current powder availability I've decided to get rid of all old stock, partial cans etc.

I found a few old metal IMR 4320 cans and decided to burn it up. .223, 6 XC (light bullets) .308, .30-06 what do you suggest?

It's the most underrated powder out there.

Capable of making really good ammo, just a bit dirty and temp sensitive.

Also it shoots best near max.

It is a great powder. I have plenty of it for a rainy day. 223 with heavies like 77 and 80gr. 243Win with mid weights, fantastic in my 243. 308 and even 30-06 can be made to go bang. It is actually a very versatile powder.
    Lets face it, we are now entering a time when you will judge the quality of your load by sound alone.

Works great pushing the heavy loads in M14/M1 type rifles. Got the load from the late Don McCoy for the M1 Garand he built for me. 4320 pushing the 190 SMKs, in my case I am using the Berger 185 HPBT LRs.

I've used it in 308 with decent results but I haven't done a very extensive load work up. Maybe I will now...