• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

IMR 8208 XBR

Re: IMR 8208 XBR

It's temp insensitive, and produces good velocities with 155's in 308. 2890 out of a 20" rock. 2880 with 2 grains less powder out of a bartlein 24" tight bore. Good spreads, excellent accuracy.

its my go too powder with 155 lapua scenars. shoot golfballs out to 500 yards. powder is very clean burning and super accurate even out to 1000 yards. And its not sensitive to temps outside. You will love it.

CCIBR-2Primer.jpg

Remington 700 5R
168 SMK
43.0 grs IMR 8208 XBR
CCI BR-2 primers
New unfired Remington cases nexk sized
Distance 100 yds.

I was wondering if anyone has used XBR with 185 grain bullets. I have been thinking about seeing what it would do with a Berger 185 BT Target in the 308 Win.

40 grs might get you 2500 fps according to the IMR website.

I'm getting 2 lbs delivered tomorrow and gonna run some tests with the 155' and 175's.

Considering I go from 45* to 95* in about 7 hours It should get me some good data

A couple of groups I shot with my AR10A4C recently with 8208XBR & 168 Amax's. One is as worked up by OCW method with Win LR primers. The other is same load with Tula LRM primers substituted.

TgtGfx168Amax-XBR-Tula.jpg

TgtGfx168Amax-xbr-WLR.jpg

XBR is much better than varget. XBR is a 2nd gen extreme powder even newer than varget. It is NOT sensitive to heat. It is extremely clean. In my case the groups were cut in half switching from varget to xbr. I use 42.4grs, cci-br LR and LC brass with a 155gr Amax. XBR shoots sub 1/2 inch even in gusting wind.

3 @ 100
3shot.jpg

5@ 100 w/wind
NF-LMT-range%20001a.jpg

I tried it in 2 different rifles and I couldn't get it to shoot. Varget on the other hand, has shot well in all the rifles I have used it in so far.

So one really can't say it's "better" then x powder. Every gun is going to be different.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I tried it in 2 different rifles and I couldn't get it to shoot. Varget on the other hand, has shot well in all the rifles I have used it in so far.

So one really can't say it's "better" then x powder. <span style="font-weight: bold">Every gun is going to be different.</span></div></div>

+1 Not one rifle is the same. The Full Metal Jacket scene to mind. "This is my RIFLE"
laugh.gif

For me varget shoots .25's in the winter and summer kinds starts doing funny things. I was able to get consistent groups again with XBR. I wonder how it will do in the winter.

Aron-