• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

In ear electronic plugs

EddieE

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2017
I bought a pair of Walkers Silencers. I used them 2x and I find them to be uncomfortable. The reason I went with these is because I couldn't get good cheekweld and scope alignment with my rifle. I find these plugins to work well, however, there was a guy shooting next to me and I found the sound from his gun to be a little more than I would like to hear.

Which of the muffs out there are slim enough to use with a rifle without causing drama? I hear alot of good things about MSA, but I would think there should be cheaper options. I just need some muffs that are going to work with rifles. I don't mind doubling up foam ear plugs.

Its your hearing and once damaged its gone forever. Trust me I know. Constant tinnitus and partial loss of hearing in both ears. Invested in a pair of ESP's and double up with Sordin Pro's when not shooting suppressed. No regrets and will be able to protect what hearing I have left. At the least get a pair of Sordins with the gel cups and if you do get them from Triad Tactical.

Its your hearing and once damaged its gone forever. Trust me I know. Constant tinnitus and partial loss of hearing in both ears. Invested in a pair of ESP's and double up with Sordin Pro's when not shooting suppressed. No regrets and will be able to protect what hearing I have left. At the least get a pair of Sordins with the gel cups and if you do get them from Triad Tactical.

Same here almost to the "T" but will add I use Peltor Tac Pro's (and double with the ESP's) shooting handgun.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I need something that will be low profile and work with rifle shooting.

I bought a pair of Walkers Silencers. I used them 2x and I find them to be uncomfortable. The reason I went with these is because I couldn't get good cheekweld and scope alignment with my rifle. I find these plugins to work well, however, there was a guy shooting next to me and I found the sound from his gun to be a little more than I would like to hear.

Which of the muffs out there are slim enough to use with a rifle without causing drama? I hear alot of good things about MSA, but I would think there should be cheaper options. I just need some muffs that are going to work with rifles. I don't mind doubling up foam ear plugs.

i was considering a pair for hunting. How well do you think they work shooting braked and unbraked magnums in the field? Just got a pair of the surefires and disappointed how much they muffle regular sound. I was fully expecting this but other reviews seemed more optimistic so I bought a pair.

i had picked up the decibelz ones.. spent some time to get them just right.

so i am at the range getting set up and have them in, guy next to me shoots his ar15.. OW! i was like forget that.

slapped my big ear muffs on.. much better. maybe i'll give the walkers a chance.

never needed the big muffs before but that was in the MC when i had youth on my side.

I run 3M TEP-100 in ear electronic. I haven't had an issue except in low covered shooting areas. I use them 9hrs straight and they don't bother me one bit in the ear. They come with multiple ear tips and have 2 hearing levels, "normal" and "enhanced".

If I know I'm shooting covered areas I just run regular Howard Leights with foamies and the volume turned all the way up. As others said you only get your hearing once and I made the mistake the day before valentines to shoot without ear pro (1hr walk into the woods in knee deep snow to realize I forgot ear pro)...the GF was on Mute for about a week.

i was considering a pair for hunting. How well do you think they work shooting braked and unbraked magnums in the field? Just got a pair of the surefires and disappointed how much they muffle regular sound. I was fully expecting this but other reviews seemed more optimistic so I bought a pair.

I was shooting a 22, the gun next to me had a 6.5 CM. I heard it louder then I would like. We were in an enclosed shooting area, I'm sure if I was in open air, probably would not be an issue. I will be returning them and getting Peltor Tac. As much I like the idea of inside the ear protection, if you combine the discomfort and the lower then expected sound dampening, I don't think these are for me. I wore them for 3 hours the first time. I was having too much fun to notice the discomfort. After I was done, I realized my ears hurt from having them shoved in.

If I can't return them, they will be on here at a great price...

I was shooting a 22, the gun next to me had a 6.5 CM. I heard it louder then I would like. We were in an enclosed shooting area, I'm sure if I was in open air, probably would not be an issue. I will be returning them and getting Peltor Tac. As much I like the idea of inside the ear protection, if you combine the discomfort and the lower then expected sound dampening, I don't think these are for me. I wore them for 3 hours the first time. I was having too much fun to notice the discomfort. After I was done, I realized my ears hurt from having them shoved in.

If I can't return them, they will be on here at a great price...

lol.. and i will wait for that post to come!!

good luck!

i think that is, its also a good idea on the gel inserts. better fit from what i know.

I have been wearing esp America stealths in ear custom molded for 7 years now. I wear mine 8-10 hrs a day 7 days a week. I love them. Hands down best on the market.

I have been wearing esp America stealths in ear custom molded for 7 years now. I wear mine 8-10 hrs a day 7 days a week. I love them. Hands down best on the market.

A bit much for weekend shooting...

I'll second the vote for ESP. Yes, it is expensive for weekend shooting and so will hearing aids be when you turn 50. I tried many over ear types but they would all lift when I had good cheek weld. Shoot a braked .338 lapua once with the ear cup lifted and that will be the last time you want that to happen. I have my hearing checked annually at work and I have no significant loss at this time. ESP's have been good for me and thousands of rounds so far. The best part is that you still have situational awareness when wearing them as you can hear leaves crunch from 50 feet. Your call on what makes sense. Mine would be ESP again knowing what I know now. Buy with confidence.

Etymotic Gun Sport Pro or EB15LE.
$255 with code JADE2017 at etymotic.com
The rechargable versions are due out very soon.
I've been wearing these for 2 years and love them! Very good sound reproduction and 25-30+ dB noise reduction depending on which tip you use. Can't recommend them enough!

EAR Inc. SHOTHUNT series. They have the best dB noise reduction of the in ear electronic type that I've seen @ 32. VERY compfortable, they are more comfortable than my custom molded plugs, hands down. I can also get a little bit of a discount on these for anyone interested. I've tried a few different brands and these are the best I've tried so far without spending $1000+

Nomad you have been running the ESP's for some time, any issues with them holding up to that much use. The Audiologist has recommend this specific model. Just was tested and I have significant loss in one ear. Do they dampen background noise as in loud music or restaurant type noise which would not be in 90+ decibel range? For an additional $300 can get the Dynamic? Any opinion on these?

Etymotic Gun Sport Pro or EB15LE.
$255 with code JADE2017 at etymotic.com
The rechargable versions are due out very soon.
I've been wearing these for 2 years and love them! Very good sound reproduction and 25-30+ dB noise reduction depending on which tip you use. Can't recommend them enough!

I'm waiting on the rechargeables to come out!

I'll second the vote for ESP. Yes, it is expensive for weekend shooting and so will hearing aids be when you turn 50. I tried many over ear types but they would all lift when I had good cheek weld. Shoot a braked .338 lapua once with the ear cup lifted and that will be the last time you want that to happen. I have my hearing checked annually at work and I have no significant loss at this time. ESP's have been good for me and thousands of rounds so far. The best part is that you still have situational awareness when wearing them as you can hear leaves crunch from 50 feet. Your call on what makes sense. Mine would be ESP again knowing what I know now. Buy with confidence.

I have about three years on my ESP's. They were worth every penny.

The Etymotic Gun Sport in-ear electronics were a game-changer for me. So comfortable I forget they are in, can carry on normal conversations but shoot 6.5 with large brake and barely notice any sound. I am much more focused on bullet impact now. The rechargable version promises to remove the only nag, having to change batteries each weekend.

I have been using the Etymotic Gunsport Pro electronic earplugs for about 2 years and they work very well. The sound compression is outstanding. On a noisy range, they compress sound so your can still hear conversation even with multiple gunshots in the background. The electronics in my Peltor Tac Pro earmuffs don't do as good of a job of compression and on a noisy gun range, the sound clips out and you can't hear conversation. The Etymotics work well enough to use with braked centerfire rifles outdoors, but I use electronic earmuffs over them if I'm at an indoor range particularly if I'm indoors with centerfire rifles. The hearing aid batteries that the Eytmotic uses have very good battery life but even if you don't use them they will drain down in about a month and you will need to replace them. The good thing is the batteries are very inexpensive if you buy them at Costco.