• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

In need of a good book.

SquidHC

Private
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2011
Oregon
My wife gets mad when I'm up late reading Snipers Hide in bed, so I need some help.

I am looking for quality reading materials on marksmanship. I am a beginner, so books related to fundamentals are probably best. I am interested in information about target shooting with pistol and carbine rifle.

Re: In need of a good book.

Here is a link to great books, covering from the basics to advanced. Most run $6.95, written by the best shooters in the world. Put out by the CMP/AMU who's whole mission is to provide marksmanship training.

https://estore.odcmp.com/store/catalog/catalog.aspx?pg=catalogList&cat=BKS

After you get the basics of safe handling, I would recommend starting with the International Rifle Marksship Guide and Service Pistol guide. As to rifle, then I'd recommend moving to the Service Rifle Guide.

Also check out the DVDs. You'll find the SDM DVD and Close Quarter Marksmanship educational.

We all know that professional coaching is best, but not real good in the bedroom.

For what you're asking for the CMP Bookstore is hard to beat.

On that note, anyone have experience with the Magpul videos? Was considering ordering one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SquidHC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On that note, anyone have experience with the Magpul videos? Was considering ordering one. </div></div>

Considering they have been out for about 10 days I am not sure anyone is finished watching them yet. The Precision Rifle DVDs that is. But I am keeping an eye out as well.

Regards,
Greyson

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SquidHC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On that note, anyone have experience with the Magpul videos? Was considering ordering one.</div></div>

They're worth buying, but I thought that they were good and not great. Building a position and trigger control each only get a couple minutes' attention. These two topics should have been an entire disk, IMHO. What good is knowing how to mil a target if you're shooting from a poor position and jerking the trigger? That said, you'll learn plenty about reticle types, shooting sticks, wind, etc. from watching the disks. I'd recommend starting with disk three—Caylen Wojcik comes across as a phenomenal instructor.

—Andreas