• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

In Need Of Help From You Guys

Colorado Luckydog

Private
Minuteman
Oct 18, 2012
So, I bought me a decent spotting scope. Now I want to get a tripod for it. I need a tripod I can sit with, stand with and can mount my rifles on. I have a couple of tripods from camera use years ago. I really don't see a lot of difference in the ones I already have and the 499-dollar Vortex I just looked at! The Vortex is a little lighter and a little taller but 500 bucks!!!!? I also need to know what I should get to mount my rifles on the tripod. Preferably a mount that I don't have to drill holes in my rifles and something that is quick and stable. I can sure use some recommendations from you guys. Please be specific and post pics of your setups if you don't mind. Thank you very much!!!

Edit-If it matters the spotter is a Vortex Razor 27-60X85. I'd like to be able to take off the scope and replace it with my rifle quickly.

RRS Anvil 30 on top of a tripod you already have, arca swiss rails/plates for the spotter and rifle. Don't buy that chinese knock off, get a real Anvil from RRS, it will say backorder but they're pretty quick to ship IME.

You'll know pretty quick if you need a better tripod for shooting off of.

Where are you at in Colorado? If you are on a budget and don’t have arca rails already, you can check out a BOG Death Grip in aluminum ($170) or carbon ($260). Sportsman’s Warehouse keeps them in stock usually. Then you can add a ball head adapter kit made by a member here ($110) and should be good to go for around $300 to $400. I can’t speak to how stable they are but a lot of people seem to like them. (Just check out the thread linked below)

There are a few other tripod conversations that discuss a little beefier tripods and ball head mounts found on Amazon but they are $500+

I went a little overboard and have a $700 setup on the way but it will be supporting a 20lbs rifle in competitions.

I’ve re-used my camera tripods too… Gitzo and Manfrotto.
I also had several arca-Swiss adapters for my lenses and bodies, so that’s what I stuck with for my scope and rifles. It’s all switchable for me since I still use my camera equipment.

Reactions: 762Zaddy
If you use the Arca Swiss system, do you have to drill holes in your rifle stocks? I will be using this on my bolt action rifles if that make any difference.

What kind of stock? There are many types of arca rails and adapters out there these days.
I have four rifles I want to use with it, depending on what I'm hunting for. They are all bolt action guns with a regular polymer stocks. I don't want to drill in them at all. I think I'm leaning towards something like the Bog Death Grip head so far.

I have four rifles I want to use with it, depending on what I'm hunting for. They are all bolt action guns with a regular polymer stocks. I don't want to drill in them at all. I think I'm leaning towards something like the Bog Death Grip head so far.
That’s the way I would go. You can also get a bog ultra lite head from Amazon I think. It will clamp in an Arca if you already have a decent tripod

Reactions: Colorado Luckydog
Or you could just add a tac table to your tripod, throw a bag on top, and shot off that. I primarily use that method when shooting off a tripod. Much less wobble, and the bag absorbes some of the recoil, so follow up shots are quicker.