• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes In search of a low power variable scope

Jeff in TX

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 5, 2004
McKinney, TX
I'm in search of a low power variable scope for night hunting.

Last week was the first real time I've ever truly hunted at night, meaning I was out all night, night after night. I quickly came to the realization that I needed to make a change in my equipment. I was hunting pigs with my LH Tikka .243. I had my scope turned down to the lowest power which was 4.5 and this was proving to be way too much magnification and didn't offer me a wide enough field of view. Mounted on top of my scope was my Laser Genetics laser spot light. This is one awesome spot light if you've never used one.

The stands I was hunting offered shots from 30 yards to 150 yards. At 30 yards 4.5 power was way too much and offered such a small field of vision, but it was just right at 150 yards. So now I’m in search of a low power 1 to 4 or 5 variable powered scope that won't break my bank. Any suggestions? I’m planning to move to quick detachable rings so I can switch scopes for night hunting.

I’ve looked at the Vortex Diamondback 1.75 – 5 X 32. I liked the low powered Viper series from Vortex but they only come with a busy close quarter combat reticle which won’t work for my application. I was hoping Zeiss would have a conquest model which they don’t and their other models were over $2K So I’m looking for something up to $600 or so... any suggestions.

As always thanks!

Re: In search of a low power variable scope

Honestly if you dont mind them I would look at the Leupold Mk4 variable 10x.

Re: In search of a low power variable scope

I might recommend a Trijicon Accuppint, either the TR24 (1-4x24), or the TR21 (1.25-4x24). Both have fiber optics and tritium, so they are both day and night illuminated. A lot of the 3 gun shooters are running the TR24. Looks like they are running mid $600s new if you shop around.