• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

In search of AR-10 platform 308

krw

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2004
Arkansas
I am in the market to buy a 308 in the AR-10 platform. I want a 16" bbl and would prefer a Mid-length. I will shoot this rifle suppressed some of the time. I would like an adj gas block. Although money is an issue to a point it isn't. I plan on keeping this rifle and want one that is completely reliable and accurate. I expect 3/4moa accuracy at 100yds. In past I have owned several Armalite's but never wanted to hang on to one. I am a fan of Rock Rivers but do not want the FN/Fal mags. I have researched the LMT MWS systems and they do appeal to me. Also the Knight's SR-25 rifles. I do want a rifle that will handle the Magpul Pmags. Am leaning towards the LMT because I can use same lower and multi-caliber the uppers. I like the Magpul UBR stocks but that could be added on later. I like the visual of the POF but a friend of mine who is very knowledgable is not a fan of them at all. What would you choose and why. I know there is a fan base of piston driven vs gas and I am open minded to both. Thanks! krw

I am in the market to buy a 308 in the AR-10 platform. I want a 16" bbl and would prefer a Mid-length. I will shoot this rifle suppressed some of the time. I would like an adj gas block. Although money is an issue to a point it isn't. I plan on keeping this rifle and want one that is completely reliable and accurate. I expect 3/4moa accuracy at 100yds. In past I have owned several Armalite's but never wanted to hang on to one. I am a fan of Rock Rivers but do not want the FN/Fal mags. I have researched the LMT MWS systems and they do appeal to me. Also the Knight's SR-25 rifles. I do want a rifle that will handle the Magpul Pmags. Am leaning towards the LMT because I can use same lower and multi-caliber the uppers. I like the Magpul UBR stocks but that could be added on later. I like the visual of the POF but a friend of mine who is very knowledgable is not a fan of them at all. What would you choose and why. I know there is a fan base of piston driven vs gas and I am open minded to both. Thanks! krw

Buy the LMT.

Why is your friend not a "fan" of the P308?

My 14.5" P308 shoots sub .75" at 100yds all day with best 5 shot group just over .50", has been 100% reliable since day one, has asjustable gas block and recoil is very soft. Ive added a UBR and SSA-E trigger to mine.

They can be had for under $2500. I own one and wouldn't change my mind if doing all over again. The P308 is very well made and is a tack driver. Couldnt be happier

Last edited:
KAC is clearly the stand out of that group. I have a POF as well and like it for 14.5" and under 308s as they have midlength gas position on each regardless of barrel length (12.5, 14.5, 16, 18, 20). The down side is that POFs are bulky as hell and are tough to mod out if one wanted to. But those are just personal preference things. LMT would be the last one I'd buy. They're built like tanks but just awfully heavy and bulkier than POFs. I'd highly recommend looking into JPs 308. They are top notch rigs and are less than KAC. If set on 16", I'd buy an LWRC REPR or SCAR before an LMT or POF.

I was going to go with something high end as I only was going to have one gas gun but I started to look into all of them and at the end of the day I went with a dpms G2. Cant beat what you get for the price.

I was in the same boat as you 2 months ago. I bought a used LaRue OBR 16". I have only had time to zero it and shoot a few at 500 yards, but it looks very promising. 3 168 FGMM into a cloverleaf once I got it zeroed at 100. Hopefully my components will come in the next couple days to start on load dev.

I have enjoyed my Sig716. It is a little on the heavier side compared to others, but, with the 4 position adjustable gas block and piston, I haven't had a single issue out of it since day one!

I have an LMT MWS and installed a PRS stock to balance it (it's nose heavy) nose. i also had to put a Geissele SSA-E trigger in it as the stock trigger pull was to heavy. I had a SCAR 17. The trigger was gritty creepy and heavy. Once the barrel heated up my groups opened up quite a bit. With the money I spent on the LMT I could have bought a LaRue OBR which I eventually did and have been very happy with it. The JP LRP 07 would be another great choice.

You know here in SW Ark there is not an abundance of the mentioned rifles to try out. I will keep doing research. Thanks for all the input! krw