• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

In search of knowledge on ammo.

Johnnypusmc

Private
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2014
Florida
Hello everyone.
I am in no way new to shooting but I am new to bolt action .308s.
I picked up an Savage model 10tr. It has the 20" barrel on it. I am looking for a good ammo choice for it.
The uses will be range shooting mostly. Within 300 (until I make a trip to the 1000 yard range with it.
I also plan to hunt boar with it.
I have done research on what rounds to get but the more I read the more I get torn on what to go with. I know every gun is different so I want to try a few. Can the 20 barrel shoot the 150gr bullets or do I need to go higher?
Thanks in advance for the help.

168 grain federal gold medal match ammo seems to be one of the favorites for a factory load

Thank you. So far that was my choice. Is it a bad idea to start off with the 150gr to get on paper. Being that they are 20 a box vs 35?

Not a bad idea, but if you're looking for accuracy... then use Federal Premium Gold Medal Match or Black Hills MATCH. There are a couple others out there (match ammo), but those are probably regarded as the "best"

IIRC Sierra says the 168 SMK's are not hunting bullets. Those are the bullets in the 168 grain FGMM. I suppose you could use them for hunting if deep penetration wasn't a requirement.