• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Inappropriate Scope? Leopold VXIII with Boone and Crockett on Ruger SR762

Raivkka

Private
Minuteman
Sep 10, 2012
New Hampshire
So, I was looking at getting a Ruger SR762 and was going to mount my VXIII 2.5-10x with a boone and crockett reticle.
The guy at the shop says "not to put that scope" on that particular rifle (i already own the scope and have it on another rifle).

If just using the rifle at the range for plinking or white tail hunting, how is that the wrong scope?

The 2.5-8x or the 3.5-10x? Nothing wrong with either for what your doing. Take everything you hear in a gun shop with a grain of salt...or two.

If just using the rifle at the range for plinking or white tail hunting, how is that the wrong scope?

How is that wrong you say??? Well...to start with...its a Leupold, and let's not forget...IT IS A LEUPOLD!!! ;)

Joking aside, provided you obtain the proper mount/rings for it, it'll work just fine on your new large-frame AR. It may not be the most "tactical" of scopes and I suppose that the gunshop idiot (most of them are idiots, but no offense to the small margin that are NOT) may have been trying to sell you something else and line his shop's register with your cash, but it should work ok on the rifle in terms of allowing you to put rounds on target. While I'm not much of a Leupold "fan" by any measure, the 2.5-10x optic on a gasser is a good magnification range, including for casual range use as well as hunting in both moderately wooded and open areas. Try it out and if at some later date you decide that you'd prefer another optic (mfg, mag range, reticle, etc.), then go for it. It'll be fine in the meantime.

My first ar-15 had a Bushnell banner 3-9x40 banner mounted on it. GASP!! I know its not what the special forces top snipers are using but I never had a coyote or whitetail refuse to die because of my inappropriate scope selection. IMO, run what you want and who cares if its not tacticool.

Nothing wrong with that scope for that rifle but I would recommend sending to Leupold and getting turrets installed.

What ever scope works for you. I like big magnification and have 4.5X14s and 4X16s on 5 uppers. Prefer extra Xs for hunting, rarely less than 7X even for deer at 200 yards. Sighting in at 100 or load development/grouping I use full power at 100 yards.

Again I am 71 and once upon a time I really thought a 2X7 was the cat's a$$. I do not need 1X4s for zombies.

How far do you really plan on shooting it? If you only plan to stretch it to 300 yards or so you'll be fine using that scope but if you are going to try and head out to 400-500 yards you may find that it gets a little more difficult. I'm using a Leupold scope with the B&C reticle in it that's attached to a rifle I'm reviewing and I've learned that the B&C reticle accounts for very little drop, which is a bit of a problem on this particular rifle. On scopes with the B&C reticle high power (10X in your case) is marked by a large triangle and on 10X you only have 7.82 MOA from the crosshairs to the top of the bottom post, which isn't a lot for a 16" barreled .308. Moving the magnification to the small triangle means you're now on 8X but you gain a couple MOA from the crosshair to the top of the bottom post. On my rifle I put the scope on the small triangle and zeroed it at 100 yards at the bottom of the top post which gave me an extra 3 MOA so from the bottom of the post to the cross hair I had 3 MOA, then from the crosshair on down I had 5.74 MOA, 9 MOA, 10.83 MOA, and 12.775 MOA. You can stretch that a bit further by dialing the magnification down more and mapping the reticle but then you give up magnification so it's a give and take kind of thing.