• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Inconceivable?

Re: Inconceivable?

All,

Since most posting and reading this thread have a scope, rather than iron sight, perspective, that's to say, a perspective which does not require "picture memory", an understanding for what is possible to discern in a target/reticle relationship is not likely until the scenerio is practiced. Although I can not resolve 1/4 minute with irons, practice nevertheless allows me to understand a consistent sight picture, enough to realize a 1/4 minute adjustment of the receiver sight.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: almsquattro</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just for clarification, I'm going to quote myself;
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: almsquattro</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Being a novice, but understanding the generally accepted ranging formula (target size in inches X 100/minutes of angle = distance in yards), I calculated a hypothetical math problem. Using an average height person 5 ft. 10 in. = 70 inches tall. So 70 X 100 = 7000. Now, I have a Nightforce NP-R1 reticle with 1 MOA hash marks. So, if the subject person is 1 MOA on my reticle (from top of head to toe), this calculates to 7000 yards. 7000 yards divided by 1760 yards per mile = <span style="font-weight: bold">3.97 miles</span>.

<span style="font-weight: bold">This means it is possible to range a person 4 miles away.</span> Even as I write it, it sounds ridiculous. What am I missing here? Can you really see a person 4 miles away or should I switch from tequila to vodka?
</div></div>

The bold-type sentence was more of a seemingly ridiculous "finding" (from the calculation) that led to my subsequent questions. I probably should have ended that sentence with a question mark. It was not intended to appear like a defensible claim. I was leaving it up to you guys to explain the flaws in the calculation or the limitations of the ranging reticle with the only assumption to include is that environmental conditions were perfect.

Well, I appreciate everyone's input. There are some great minds (except for ADHD Boy) with a lot of field experience in this forum. I understand the argument for both sides. After all, isn't the science behind the math just a guessing game anyways? As I understand it, unless you get a tape measure out there, you are not going to get a truly "accurate" distance. Even the high-end laser range finders decrease in accuracy the greater the distance (especially beyond 1600 yards). And with GPSs, although they are extremely useful tools, get you within something like 3-10 yards of a location? So if you are plotting two locations, you would double the possible error.

Anyhow, I may be putting the ranging question to the test this weekend. We have an open shooting location (BLM) that may have up to a 3-mile view from atop a ridge. I'll let you guys know what I can see or can't see.

And no, I'm not going to shoot 3-miles...I'm just going to see what I can see.

Cheers!

</div></div>

you fuckin tool bag. you're gonna come on a sniping forum and ask a fuckin rediculous question about shit you seem to have zero fucking clue about and then attack A FUCKING USMC SCOUT SNIPER WITH MORE PRACTICAL FIELD SHOOTING EXPERIENCE IN HIS PINKY FINGER THEN YOU HAVE IN YOUR WHOLE BODY by calling him shit like adhd boy??????you got some balls there retard. if this gets me banned then so be it. the juice is worth the squeeze.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killswitch engage</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: almsquattro</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just for clarification, I'm going to quote myself;
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: almsquattro</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Being a novice, but understanding the generally accepted ranging formula (target size in inches X 100/minutes of angle = distance in yards), I calculated a hypothetical math problem. Using an average height person 5 ft. 10 in. = 70 inches tall. So 70 X 100 = 7000. Now, I have a Nightforce NP-R1 reticle with 1 MOA hash marks. So, if the subject person is 1 MOA on my reticle (from top of head to toe), this calculates to 7000 yards. 7000 yards divided by 1760 yards per mile = <span style="font-weight: bold">3.97 miles</span>.

<span style="font-weight: bold">This means it is possible to range a person 4 miles away.</span> Even as I write it, it sounds ridiculous. What am I missing here? Can you really see a person 4 miles away or should I switch from tequila to vodka?
</div></div>

The bold-type sentence was more of a seemingly ridiculous "finding" (from the calculation) that led to my subsequent questions. I probably should have ended that sentence with a question mark. It was not intended to appear like a defensible claim. I was leaving it up to you guys to explain the flaws in the calculation or the limitations of the ranging reticle with the only assumption to include is that environmental conditions were perfect.

Well, I appreciate everyone's input. There are some great minds (except for ADHD Boy) with a lot of field experience in this forum. I understand the argument for both sides. After all, isn't the science behind the math just a guessing game anyways? As I understand it, unless you get a tape measure out there, you are not going to get a truly "accurate" distance. Even the high-end laser range finders decrease in accuracy the greater the distance (especially beyond 1600 yards). And with GPSs, although they are extremely useful tools, get you within something like 3-10 yards of a location? So if you are plotting two locations, you would double the possible error.

Anyhow, I may be putting the ranging question to the test this weekend. We have an open shooting location (BLM) that may have up to a 3-mile view from atop a ridge. I'll let you guys know what I can see or can't see.

And no, I'm not going to shoot 3-miles...I'm just going to see what I can see.

Cheers!

</div></div>

you fuckin tool bag. you're gonna come on a sniping forum and ask a fuckin rediculous question about shit you seem to have zero fucking clue about and then attack A FUCKING USMC SCOUT SNIPER WITH MORE PRACTICAL FIELD SHOOTING EXPERIENCE IN HIS PINKY FINGER THEN YOU HAVE IN YOUR WHOLE BODY by calling him shit like adhd boy??????you got some balls there retard. if this gets me banned then so be it. the juice is worth the squeeze.</div></div>

Dude....relax. All he said was "according to the calculations...can you ACTUALLY see that?" The thread went the way "NO way can you do that, No way can you shoot that...etc."

I'll just give you my experience, and no I never went to any sniper school, anywhere. Do you think that because someone who was a sniper in the service knows everything? See's everything?

I'll give you this little experience, maybe it'll help. A couple weeks ago I went out to Nevada (I'm from there). I shot with ScottyS, 264shooter and a couple other guys. We hung targets between 0700 and 0800. The day was crystal clear. In the low heat after hanging the one mile target, we went over to the rock we were going to shoot the shorter range stuff at. 264 was looking for places to put the targets and ranging them. I'm looking five miles (yes I checked) out at the Pyramid Highway and seeing the different cars. It was that clear and that calm. Here in Minnesota where I live, I'm lucky to see one mile clear. I can see farther, but not clear.

So, it's possible. You just have to have the right conditions. Depending on where you live, those come along more in some places than others.

Now this is getting comical.

Killswitch engage- you can't be serious. Come on dude. Relax. Brush that mullet, step outside your trailer, "squeeze" a couple of Coors Lights, and go play some Call of Duty on your friends Nintendo.

Well, we did go out this past weekend and here is what we found;
Horus indicated 65 degrees and wind between 1-3 mph at about 7:00 a.m. in the middle of a desert with overcast skies. We used a 7 ft. tall boulder (that was all we could find) that was on a ridge in proximity to the road. Driving to the opposite ridge was 3.3 miles (fairly straight line, but not absolute). There was a slight mirage but you can definitely see the boulder which appeared to be approx. 1.5 minutes on my NP-R1 reticle. You guys do the math. The target didn't disappear beyond 2 miles. This is not rocket science; however, I will say that by 11:00 a.m. the rock was barely visible due to heavy mirage, clear skies, and the wind picked up to about 8-13 mph. Definitely a crap shoot on measuring minutes.

Redmanss- I did use the correct multiplier. And, I apologize for the name calling. I appreciate your service to our country.