• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Inconsistent Seating Depth

dan46n2

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 9, 2006
What would cause inconsistent seating depth? I am using once fired 5.56 LC brass, resized on a Dillon 650 and trimmed on a Giraud. I did have to adjust the Giraud several times so they may be .001-.002 inches longer or shorter on several batches. I'm using a Dillon seating die and getting up to .004 inches of variation from one round to the next. Also if I reinsert a seated round and try to seat it again it will push the bullet down further, is this normal? Any help is appreciated.

Re: Inconsistent Seating Depth

Check the seating cup on the die. Most die makers have a cup shaped seating plug / stem. Mark a bullet with a whiteboard marker and let it dry. Then seat that bullet in a case and see where it's marked. If it's seated by pushing on the nose of the bullet it will probably be deformed a little. (Most die makers will alter a cup for you if you ask and send them a dozen bullet of the kind of your shooting.) But the OAL of bullets vary due to the differences in the jacket lengths. Especially in hollow point bullets. Get a Stoney Point / Hornady ogive comparator and check from the case head to the bullet ogive. That's a much more reliable distance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Victor N TN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check the seating cup on the die. Most die makers have a cup shaped seating plug / stem. Mark a bullet with a whiteboard marker and let it dry. Then seat that bullet in a case and see where it's marked. If it's seated by pushing on the nose of the bullet it will probably be deformed a little. (Most die makers will alter a cup for you if you ask and send them a dozen bullet of the kind of your shooting.) But the OAL of bullets vary due to the differences in the jacket lengths. Especially in hollow point bullets. Get a Stoney Point / Hornady ogive comparator and check from the case head to the bullet ogive. That's a much more reliable distance. </div></div>

Here's what I'm trying to do. I'm loading .223 in a max load that calls for an OAL of 2.260 inches. Don't I have to measure from the base of the cartridge to the tip rather than the ogive since anything over 2.260 won't fit in an AR mag? I tried a Hornady bullet comparator that measures from the ogive but it seems kind of pointless if the overall length from tip to base is any longer than 2.260. Even though the ogive to base measurement may be more accurate how can I use that measurement if say several bullets are a little longer from ogive to tip making them rub against the mag.

Victor's comments are right on. Also might want to check the mechanics of your set up to confirm that everything is tight, sometimes the ram does not stroke to the same position or something is binding, etc.

I have see it where too tight of neck tension can cause inconsistent seating depth but usually there is a make on the bullet from the cup due to the pressure that is required to seat the bullet.

Inconsistent neck tensions = inconsistent seating depths as well.

JB

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dan46n2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Here's what I'm trying to do. I'm loading .223 in a max load that calls for an OAL of 2.260 inches. Don't I have to measure from the base of the cartridge to the tip rather than the ogive since anything over 2.260 won't fit in an AR mag? I tried a Hornady bullet comparator that measures from the ogive but it seems kind of pointless if the overall length from tip to base is any longer than 2.260. Even though the ogive to base measurement may be more accurate how can I use that measurement if say several bullets are a little longer from ogive to tip making them rub against the mag. </div></div>

Try this. Maybe we can figure something that makes more sense to you.

When you are loading or after you have a few loaded, measure the OAL from case head to bullet tip. Find five that measure EXACTLY what you want. Put the ogive comparator on your calipers and measure the same rounds from case head to bullet ogive. Average this number. Use the average as a reference point for your loads. The main reason for using a COAL is for magazine fitting. The writers of the technical articles KNOW that bullets change OAL in the same lot and the same box. They can't help it. The OAL is a really inconsistant way to measure. The base to ogive is a much better way to measure. A lot more repeatable also.

How does that sound?

This is what I do for my AR:

I take a Sierra SMK bullet and seat it into an empty, unprimed sized and trimmed case to use as a dummy. I adjust my Redding com seating die until I get an OAL of 2.26". When I get it to that depth, I keep the setting on the die. Now when it is time to seat primed and charged cases, I place the dummy cartridge in my instant indicator, and set the ogive length as zero. I check the ogive lengths of my loaded rounds against the zero set by the dummy. The OALs will vary between rounds due to inherent deformities in the bullet tips, but not so much as to prevent them from being pushed into a magazine. This method ensures that the bullets are being pushed in the same distance. Howvever, variations in ogives from bullet to bullet will cause different actual seating depths with the same lengths to the ogives. You could circumvent this by sorting your bullets based on length from the base to ogive of each bullet, but this is way more cumbersome for my personal needs.

check the length of the bullets before you load them they will vary up to 015 in length sometimes,most brands are like this

Another possible cause, though unlikely - your max load isn't compressing consistently under whatever bullet you are loading (you don't offer this info) and it is pushing the bullet out a minute bit on those cases with a looser neck tension.

Unlikely, but possible.

Kaiser Norton

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Victor N TN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dan46n2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Here's what I'm trying to do. I'm loading .223 in a max load that calls for an OAL of 2.260 inches. Don't I have to measure from the base of the cartridge to the tip rather than the ogive since anything over 2.260 won't fit in an AR mag? I tried a Hornady bullet comparator that measures from the ogive but it seems kind of pointless if the overall length from tip to base is any longer than 2.260. Even though the ogive to base measurement may be more accurate how can I use that measurement if say several bullets are a little longer from ogive to tip making them rub against the mag. </div></div>

Try this. Maybe we can figure something that makes more sense to you.

When you are loading or after you have a few loaded, measure the OAL from case head to bullet tip. Find five that measure EXACTLY what you want. Put the ogive comparator on your calipers and measure the same rounds from case head to bullet ogive. Average this number. Use the average as a reference point for your loads. The main reason for using a COAL is for magazine fitting. The writers of the technical articles KNOW that bullets change OAL in the same lot and the same box. They can't help it. The OAL is a really inconsistant way to measure. The base to ogive is a much better way to measure. A lot more repeatable also.

How does that sound? </div></div>

Thanks for the help, I did try the averaging method with the comparator but I'm still getting variable oals with it up to .005 inches measuring from the ogive. I'm using LC brass all from the same source.

reading this has answered a few of my questions as well. i kept having differing COAL. after making sure i got a dummy round set to what i wanted, every other shell came out different and i was adjusting every shell til i decided on a variance that i could accept. now i got lucky when i bought a toolbox with my used RCBS rockchucker that has a bunch of stuff in it, one thing was a comparator. i looked it up but couldnt tell how to use it by its description. never really knew what it was or how to use it til reading this. so i would get the cup made to fit the bullet im using, seat 10 to COAL, measure off the ogive and use that average as a basis for case length because the tips could be deformed. am i getting that right?

dan46n2 maybe if your still getting the .004 variance you should reduce your target COAL by .004, your ok if your at or under by .004 right? i was driving myself kinda batty chasing a few 1000ths

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">reading this has answered a few of my questions as well. i kept having differing COAL. after making sure i got a dummy round set to what i wanted, every other shell came out different and i was adjusting every shell til i decided on a variance that i could accept. now i got lucky when i bought a toolbox with my used RCBS rockchucker that has a bunch of stuff in it, one thing was a comparator. i looked it up but couldnt tell how to use it by its description. never really knew what it was or how to use it til reading this. so i would get the cup made to fit the bullet im using, seat 10 to COAL, measure off the ogive and use that average as a basis for case length because the tips could be deformed. am i getting that right?

dan46n2 maybe if your still getting the .004 variance you should reduce your target COAL by .004, your ok if your at or under by .004 right? i was driving myself kinda batty chasing a few 1000ths </div></div>

If these were moderate loads the shorter length wouldn't be a problem but since it's a max load and calls for 2.260 going shorter may cause a spike in pressure, right? I can't go any longer because they won't fit in an AR mag. I'm measuring every single case now, those that are too long get seated again those that are too short get pulled a little and reseated, this is really a pain. I'm using Sierra 77g matchkings BTW.

someone with more experience than i will have to speak about the higher pressures from seating deeper? farther? no shorter i guess.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palmik</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is what I do for my AR:

I take a Sierra SMK bullet and seat it into an empty, unprimed sized and trimmed case to use as a dummy. I adjust my Redding com seating die until I get an OAL of 2.26". When I get it to that depth, I keep the setting on the die. Now when it is time to seat primed and charged cases, I place the dummy cartridge in my instant indicator, and set the ogive length as zero. I check the ogive lengths of my loaded rounds against the zero set by the dummy. The OALs will vary between rounds due to inherent deformities in the bullet tips, but not so much as to prevent them from being pushed into a magazine. This method ensures that the bullets are being pushed in the same distance. Howvever, variations in ogives from bullet to bullet will cause different actual seating depths with the same lengths to the ogives. You could circumvent this by sorting your bullets based on length from the base to ogive of each bullet, but this is way more cumbersome for my personal needs. </div></div>

What kind of variation are you getting? Is it as much a the .005 inches I'm seeing?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palmik</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is what I do for my AR:
You could circumvent this by sorting your bullets based on length from the base to ogive of each bullet, but this is way more cumbersome for my personal needs. </div></div>

I think this is what I'm going to do on my next batch. I've found two tools to measure this quickly, the Sinclair bullet sorter for $60 (without indicator) and David Tubbs BSC for $150. I know it can be done with a caliper but when sorting a thousand bullets at a time I need any speed I can get.

Has anyone used either of these tools, is the Tubbs worth almost 3X more?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dan46n2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What would cause inconsistent seating depth? I am using once fired 5.56 LC brass, resized on a Dillon 650 and trimmed on a Giraud. I did have to adjust the Giraud several times so they may be .001-.002 inches longer or shorter on several batches. I'm using a Dillon seating die and getting up to .004 inches of variation from one round to the next. Also if I reinsert a seated round and try to seat it again it will push the bullet down further, is this normal? Any help is appreciated. </div></div>

If you are running a 650, try using the last two positions as a two step seating, the first to start the bullet or halfway and the second to do the final seating. I find this to be helpful when using 77 SMKs. They are long and pretty much any moderate burning powder in the Varget/4064 range is compressed to give you the 2.26 COL.

If the ogives are identical and the press is operated identically each time theseated OAL will be identical no matter any varations in case or bullet lengths.

Trying to make (actual) OALs indentical, ie, to the meplat, is hopeless. Even if we could not very helpful at the target. Very few - if any - factory rifles will even notice an OAL variation of 5 thou off the ogive.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunner69</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This video is a solution to consistent seating depths

Consistent bullet depth seating </div></div>

I have a question about sorting bullets like this?

Is is possible to take the sorted bullets and load them all, one bag at a time, making specific seating die calibration changes as needed (when changing from one bag of sorted bullets to the next) so that all rounds when loaded will shoot the same?

Thank you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wildfowler</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunner69</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This video is a solution to consistent seating depths

Consistent bullet depth seating </div></div>

I have a question about sorting bullets like this?

Is is possible to take the sorted bullets and load them all, one bag at a time, making specific seating die calibration changes as needed (when changing from one bag of sorted bullets to the next) so that all rounds when loaded will shoot the same?

Thank you. </div></div>

that seems about right

great vid btw

Interesting video, measuring the length from tail to point that your seating tool will touch the bullet - using the insert from your seating tool. The gentleman in the video shows a Redding comp seating die insert, the same thing would work on with the top of Wilson seater.

Seems worth trying at least once to see how consistent the different types of bullets measure, and to see if more consistent seating depths can be achieved.

Ok, here is what I just did, so bear with me... I have a Redding Comp Die. I took it apart, and separated the "Seating Stem." I placed the seating stem between the calipers and placed a bullet in it to get my reading. I did this with 10 different bullets and got about 7 different readings of up to +/- .005 I then placed a Hornady ogive comparator on the caliper and did my readings again. This was by far more accurate than the seating stem method. Out of 10 readings, only 2 were more than .001 of an inch off and the rest were dead on balls accurate. So now I wonder how accurate the Redding Comp die is? It does not seat the bullet off the Ogive, the stem seater touches the bullet more towards the tip of it.
I wonder if Redding will ground down the seating stem to match the Ogive of a particular bullet?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jackalope33B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wonder if Redding will ground down the seating stem to match the Ogive of a particular bullet? </div></div>

Reading this reminded me of something I'd seen in the instructions for a Wilson seater;
"The important thing is that the bullet be precisely supported with reference to the bore of the seater and a full contact will accomplish no more toward that end than a line contact. For this reason we furnish one shape plunger opening only for any one caliber and do not make up special plungers for any odd bullet that may be sent in."

I would speculate their instructions and designs are from the perspective of exceptional concentricity and not necessarily of consistent seating depth.

Having used both Redding and Wilson dies they both seem vary in seating depth - I couldn't say which varies more with my particular bullets. I'll probably end up testing/measuring some with both the Redding and Wilson plungers
smile.gif

Also interesting; Redding offers a vld plunger for the comp seater in certain calibers. I don't remember why or what the difference is (different size opening or deeper etc. )

This issue is why I don't use compressed loads. And all bullets vary a tad in length.

Just called redding up, and they dont make custom seating stems that come in contact with the bullet alot further down than the standard one.