• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes incorrect? sighting or bad scope mount?or me

Private
Minuteman
Aug 1, 2009
been experimenting with load work,(338lm) finely,have a nice load that carries me to 200 yrds just fine,optic nf 12-42-56 nxs-mil .problem-@ 550 yrds recticle gets me at 11 o'clock 4 mill? to hit 18" gong @ 3 o'clock 5 deg up slope 3mph 2 o'clock what gives? is it the base?any advise would be appreciated-

Re: incorrect? sighting or bad scope mount?or me

I need a decoder pin I think, what is it doing at 550 yards? Not sure if you are saying it's off on windage or your come ups don't match what a ballistic chart says it should be? Did you make sure it's tracking perfectly true vertically when you set the gun and scope up? Just taking a guess since I didn't know exactly what you were asking.

Topstrap

I know the answer to your question, but first you must solve this riddle:

"A woman is as old as the man will be when the woman is twice as old as the man was when the woman's age was half the sum of their present age"

both,windage,and comeups, the mount is a 3 ring sako.now the target sight in is 200 yrds-just fine but with this round not really hard to miss.i am wondering if this mount was set up incorrectly?

I guess to start, after you installed everything did you check to see if the scope was tracking correctly? Easy to do, I place a tall cardboard target about 65 - 75 yards out, use a 4 ft level and a big magic marker draw a verticle line about 3 ft tall. Then draw a horzintal line about a 1/4 of the way up from the bottom of the paper. Use this as your aiming point for every shot. Turn your scope to your 100 yard setting and shoot a shot. My scopes are moa so I turn a full revolution up, shoot again, thru the scope up again a full turn, shoot again and if room do it another time. All your shots should track in a perfect line up the target. If they are angled either direction then the scope needs to be turned and everything releveled. When it tracks up that line with each shot then you should be good to go. At the range if its off then you'll know it's wind or you're not holding the gun level each shot.

Not sure if this is what you're looking for but a good place to start.

Topstrap