• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing indicator rod VS range rod?

maccrazy2

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 2, 2009
10 minutes S. W. of denver
I just recieved my new Kreiger .260 barrel today. I am going to install it myself. I had Kreiger chamber it with my PTG reamer. I was looking up which recoil lug I wanted and looking for an indicator rod to dial in the bore before cutting the tennon and threads as well as crowning.
PTG has indicator rods listed for use with a chambered barrel and range rods for use with unchambered barrels. Midway does not list any dimensions on these. will the indicator rod work for both ends of the barred or do I need to get both rods?

I will be using 2 indicators on the rod that are .0001 increment to dial in the bore in the 4 jaw chuck. My lathe is already set up with an outboard chuck on the headstock that can be adjusted to dial in the other end of the barrel.

Re: indicator rod VS range rod?

Your indicator rod has a 1.5 Degree angle from the bushing end to the other. The Range Rod has a 3 degree angle. I may have these two mixed up, but the indicator rod is used for unchambered barrels with the bore intact. The Range rod is to be used when dialing in a chambered barrel, that is why it has a greater angle.

Put both in a blank barrel and you will be able to figure out the difference between the two. Be advised, most of the time the rods will only get you close to about a few ten thousands " .0005 to .0002" in my experience. For most applications this is probably fine.

Mark

Thanks Mark. Is there a better option than these rods? I have a tool post grinder and a 2000 grit diamond wheel so I can do fine grinding inhouse if necessary.

Indicating off the bore directly is more accurate.I have used gauge pins on AK type weapons due to their crooked bores with much success.Your barrel bore I bet is straight.