• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

indoor shooting range in your basement ?

black_ump

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2007
erie,pa 16334
that would rock huh ? shooting pistols or pistol caliber carbines in your basement !! so how would i go about building one ? i would heat it with a torpedo heater, i would like it about 50 yards long if that is possible.

any ideas would rock

Re: indoor shooting range in your basement ?

With all of the EPA regs. on indoor ranges I am not sure I would be in a huge hurry to turn my home into a toxic waste area.

Do you have a 50y run in your basement? Straight shot....unobstructed?

My guess would be to pop off a few rounds to see how it goes. I hear water heaters make great back-stops. And to cut down on airborne lead particles, you may want to cut some vent holes in your floor and walls.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Disclaimer:</span> The above statement was meant for humor only and should not be taken seriously. Pointblank4445 is not responsible for any legal issues, injury or destruction that may result from your stupidity.

The cost alone, without consideration of space, etc. is UNGODLY if done properly, even if it is just a personal, non-public range (start thinking about costs for materials/supplies/construction of a backstop whether wet or dry, lead/contaminant removal, a target system whether manual or mechanical, etc.). Then consider the HVAC system (and assoc. costs alone) could feed a small family for many years and without adequate ventilation, you get the priviledge of inhaling contaminants like lead, sulfur dioxide, carbon monoxide, etc. which not only have an immediate adverse effect, but can build up over time creating an even more unsafe environment. The legal issues are a whole different ballgame and one that you will need professional assistance to contend with. Also, don't forget zoning, local, state and federal law pertaining to the project before undertaking anything other than daydreaming.

If you are serious, try running a Google search and reading some online narratives re: indoor range construction/budgets. Also, the NRA has a sourcebook re: range construction...a part of it deals specifically with indoor ranges. If you get serious, I'd start there and plan for a long and expensive road ahead.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pointblank4445</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you have a 50y run in your basement? Straight shot....unobstructed?

My guess would be to pop off a few rounds to see how it goes. I hear water heaters make great back-stops. And to cut down on airborne lead particles, you may want to cut some vent holes in your floor and walls.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Disclaimer:</span> The above statement was meant for humor only and should not be taken seriously. Pointblank4445 is not responsible for any legal issues, injury or destruction that may result from your stupidity. </div></div>

hahaha dang i was just about to get the saw out and hear to find out your just joking.

do i have a 50 yard straight run ? well no but i havent even bought property yet... i am just kicking ideas around thats all.

it might be better to make it a separate building, so what do "they" use for back stops ? how about to clean the air ? are their special air filters ?

The ventilation would have to be top notch, and would probably be the deal breaker. EPA regs wouldn't come into play if it was going to be for private use, but You would still want the lead and gunpowder fumes carried out. That wouldn't be cheap.

There's a few here, who've done it. And I'll add, what they've done is PHENOMENAL!!!!!

Now whether they chime in here or not, has yet to be seen. Keep searching, you'd be surprised at what you find. Interesting quest.

I heard that the city can't regulate it because it's underground and some provision of the laws only allow them to regulate what is "on" the land? Any truth to this as I know a lot of incorporated area do not allow discharging a firearm within its limits.

Considering the costs associated with making the space simply functional for shooting in an enclosed area, let alone the expense of doing it correctly, and you want to heat it with a torpedo heater.....brilliant
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nessal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I heard that the city can't regulate it because it's underground and some provision of the laws only allow them to regulate what is "on" the land? Any truth to this as I know a lot of incorporated area do not allow discharging a firearm within its limits. </div></div>

I think you probably heard wrong. Any city/municipality, county/parrish, state, etc. has within its power to regulate how land is used, including but not limited to what's done "underground." Now, that is a broad generalization on my part, and you would have to check with your specific local laws/regulations to confirm since there are exceptions to every rule.

At a minimum, if there is a regulation/law saying no discharge of firearms within city limits...an underground/basement range still falls within the scope of "within the city limits" even though it is "underground" and would be prohibited under a strict reading of the law. Again...YMMV.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nessal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I heard that the city can't regulate it because it's underground and some provision of the laws only allow them to regulate what is "on" the land? Any truth to this as I know a lot of incorporated area do not allow discharging a firearm within its limits. </div></div>

Tell that to code enforcement and bulding inspectors when you are building a basement structure, then there's the whole discharging a firearm aspect....

Special filters are required. Then when you need to change them you will need to line up somewhere that accepts HAZMAT. The filters are expensive. But, I think the most expensive and complicated part will be the ventilation. If you are truly interested in an enclosed shooting system look into Meggitt systems. They typically only stretch to 25 yards though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: smokshwn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Considering the costs associated with making the space simply functional for shooting in an enclosed area, let alone the expense of doing it correctly, and you want to heat it with a torpedo heater.....brilliant
laugh.gif
</div></div>

well you see thats how i will save money for the venting system.. you cannot have it all and i dont want to loose brass or freeze my ass shooting in the winter

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: black_ump</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
that would rock huh ? shooting pistols or pistol caliber carbines in your basement !! so how would i go about building one ? i would heat it with a torpedo heater, i would like it about 50 yards long if that is possible.

any ideas would rock </div></div>

Do you sit around and purposely come up with useless, stupid posts? Solar panels, humans getting chips implanted in them, and now a 50 yard range in the basement of your parents house? come on....

I plan on building a 300 yard underground range...

when I win powerball

But seriously, it can't be as expensive as some of you people are making it out to be, or else there wouldn't be any public indoor ranges.

Underground is a different story entirely. Thats paying someone to trench and then have it supported so it wont cave in. Thats serious money and engineering in that project.

Above ground buildings are easily done. But even a 5 line automated range at about 25 yards is 1.2 million from Action Targets.

under or above it dont matter to me...... out side of the filters what all is involved, if it goes in the ground trenching and so forth but what is used for a back stop or bullet trap ?

not my parents basement... I am looking to build so i would if its possible like to do this if i could.

is 50 yards to much to ask ?

under or above it dont matter to me...... out side of the filters what all is involved, if it goes in the ground trenching and so forth but what is used for a back stop or bullet trap ?

not my parents basement... I am looking to build so i would if its possible like to do this if i could.

is 50 yards to much to ask ?

You can use cement drainage pipe for your shooting lanes. The stuff
comesmin Huge sizes up to every concievable size. Use earth as a back stop
and use the Oehler accoustical recorder where your shots show up
on a monitor, I believe that's what Sierra bullets use. Call them at 1 800 223-8799 and talk to there tech support I am sure they can answer some of your
quetions.

Do you own a 50 yard radius in which you are buying/building the house?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you own a 50 yard radius in which you are buying/building the house? </div></div>

i am sure i will have the space yes....

The back stop can be a number of different materials. One of the more common is rubber chunks, about the size of playing dice. I've even seen non-steel belted tires shredded. Behind the rubber is either a massive sand/dirt pile or AR500 series steel plate. If you can look at some of the indoor ranges they have a series of rubber sheets over the chunks to keep everything from falling or trenching if you shoot in the same spot repeatedly. I know that this is only in the conversational stages but you really need to think about the health complications and EPA soil and land reclamation aspects of this project. You may end up building something that costs $50-$70K to build and $250K to unfu@# when you get ready to sell that piece of property.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chongoMT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The back stop can be a number of different materials. One of the more common is rubber chunks, about the size of playing dice. I've even seen non-steel belted tires shredded. Behind the rubber is either a massive sand/dirt pile or AR500 series steel plate. If you can look at some of the indoor ranges they have a series of rubber sheets over the chunks to keep everything from falling or trenching if you shoot in the same spot repeatedly. I know that this is only in the conversational stages but you really need to think about the health complications and EPA soil and land reclamation aspects of this project. You may end up building something that costs $50-$70K to build and $250K to unfu@# when you get ready to sell that piece of property. </div></div>

some things i dug up about indoor ranges for every one

http://www.careyscentral.com/home.html

http://www.mancomsystems.com/planningAndDesign.cfm

i pretty much just want a place to get in out of the cold in the winter and shoot, i dont shoot a lot maybe 25 rounds of 45acp here and their every other month or two months... i dont care if it has running targets steel targets or if i have to use a silly torpedo heater to heat it... just a place to pop off some rounds and get every piece of brass i shot.. i would be happy with that

just want to chime in. couldnt you just go to a local range and shoot? heck last week and the week before that it was crazy cold on range 15 at lewis but heck i still shot for a couple hours. i just wore some warm clothes gloves and a stocking cap. and brass pickup is to easy just have to look for it.. \

now im not trying to tear down your "dream" of a subterranean lair which you can blast targets.

just saying i have no trouble going out into the cool. yeah it sucks. but fuck i worked all week i wana shoot some shit so i will bear the cold. just saying. hey if you get it set up give me a call. but i think you're better off in the long run just....

GOING TO THE RANGE.

I have to say, if you're wanting simple and with no frills, just find an indoor range that's close. If you shoot 100 rounds of .45 in a few months of cold weather, you're looking at around $35 for that. Range time, at $20/hr, 4 visits at an hour is $80. You've spend a grand total of $115 for cold weather shooting. Building an indoor range in a 150' basement, with ventilation, backstop, and a pulley system for the targets... You're looking at a good $50,000 investment. That's not even counting the basement itself. It would take you over 400 seasons of cold weather shooting to cancel out building your own range over going to a public range.

If you're going to build a basement range, do yourself a favor and build a public range. Do it right, get the certifications, licenses, and insurance, and charge people to use it. If you build one that's even a little better than anything you have around you, people will use it and you'll make money.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spazz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have to say, if you're wanting simple and with no frills, just find an indoor range that's close. If you shoot 100 rounds of .45 in a few months of cold weather, you're looking at around $35 for that. Range time, at $20/hr, 4 visits at an hour is $80. You've spend a grand total of $115 for cold weather shooting. Building an indoor range in a 150' basement, with ventilation, backstop, and a pulley system for the targets... You're looking at a good $50,000 investment. That's not even counting the basement itself. It would take you over 400 seasons of cold weather shooting to cancel out building your own range over going to a public range.

If you're going to build a basement range, do yourself a favor and build a public range. Do it right, get the certifications, licenses, and insurance, and charge people to use it. If you build one that's even a little better than anything you have around you, people will use it and you'll make money. </div></div>

now thats an idea, i shoot for free and look at all the 45 brass i would get, endless amounts i could load like a pro

I know you mention shooting .45, but here is a guy who uses .22 quite regularly it sounds for some trigger time. I would imagine you could adapt this concept for a larger scale, but saftey needs to be main concern. Not only for ventilation, but liability as well. I would suggest staying away from building a public range just for liability and insurance reasons...not worth it IMO.

Hope this helps. Indoor .22 shooting range

I layered 30" of books in a wooden ammo crate and shot it with a 6.5x47. My daughter wanted to know what he noise was, but other than that......
I was only pressure testing. It worked.

My dad had a friend when I was a kid that had a range in his basement. He had dug down on the outside of his house and cut a hole throught the basement wall. He took some 24" pipe and ran it out away from the house, I think it only went like 75 feet but it's been 25 years ago. He had a box type trap at the end and a pulley system for targets and some lights hung down the top. Inside the basement he built a small room that he basically soundproofed with eggcrate foam. I don't remember a ton about it but that was the basics of it and it worked. I was just a kid and didn't pay any attention to ventilation or anything else.

Just a thought for this indoor pistol range. My dad used to shot his .38spl in a block building on his family property. Now this is how he done it. He would reload his ammo by charging the primed cases (not sure on charge weight but I think standard loads would work but you may get by with a lot less trail and error). Then he took bees wax and pressed it down onto the cases about a 1/4". Then trun the bees wax over and wiggle the cases and break the bees wax off flat with the cases. They looked like a case loaded a wadcutter. He then would shot them against the block work. He would clean up the left over wax and melt it back down and cool it in a form he had made. He would always run a few real handloads after he got thru shooting the beeswax loads to get the wax out of the barrel. Then clean it as required. Now I can see this being done inside in basement and not harming anything.

If you'd like more info I'll see what my mom remembers of it, cause my dad it no longer with us. I was a young'in back in this time and can't remember all of it but you get the idea.

Also not this was done in a revovler and not a auto, but I think you maybe able to make it work in a auto with the right charge weight.

come to think of it i have read about people casting hot glue in the molds and shooting them, you dont have to worry about lead vapor and i am sure you could just shoot at a brick wall as well, if i remember correctly the video said something about just using a primer and not any powder but dont quote me to that

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: black_ump</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you own a 50 yard radius in which you are buying/building the house? </div></div>

i am sure i will have the space yes.... </div></div>

Really? Cause a 50 yard radius is like 2-3 acres.... with that type of space build an outdoor area.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: black_ump</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you own a 50 yard radius in which you are buying/building the house? </div></div>

i am sure i will have the space yes.... </div></div>

Really? Cause a 50 yard radius is like 2-3 acres.... with that type of space build an outdoor area. </div></div>

i have though about that too....

Just a thought if you are looking for some "cheap" indoor "trigger time". Get a high quality air rifle, shoot that indoors. I know it's not the same, but it's entertaining with a decent rifle.

You might laugh, but I own a few "decent" air rifles 1200 fps, for winter up here on the island, I have a small backdrop & trap from wood with a piece of metal deflecting the pellets down at 45° in the backyard, I shoot from well within the office through a small firing port approximately 8 x 8 inches, just enough to dial in the target.

Very little sound escapes the room, just the slightest hint of oil in the air. And the port, closes like a sliding door and is weatherized but removable from the window. I have a spotting scope to easily note my score on the target and thus can shoot for 50 yards quite unobtrusively. Both my neighbors know I do it, both have listened for the sound at my request, and hear nothing. I do keep a "throw away" air rifle here (under 450 fps) which is not considered a rifle (in Canada) just in case someone knocks on the door.

Then take the $150,000 - $175,000 you save on a indoor range, and buy some serious acres in the boonies (for about $200 an acre Example 640 acres in WY for $181 an acre) and build a "shooting cabin". Just Google "inexpensive acreage", you will find there is still some available if you are willing to travel.

I shoot weekly in a friends basement.

Its only pistol calibers and 10yds

We have a number of folks that shoot together.

It has 2 separate evac systems depending on # of shooters, basic blower type. Steel plate angled back stop, Ga red clay walls

We have shot everything from 22's to full auto HK MP40's, MAC10, 11

I certainly like it, as I know the safety habits of everyone there. If someone steps out of line they get chastised by everyone and typically it never happens again.

We have range rules and if someone new is brought in they are explained very specifically

I do know of a house with a 25' indoor range in the "basement" - community is King's Gate, Plano; homes go 2.5-4M.

Depends on what you mean by range.. If you mean full fledged range then good luck. If you mean having an area in your basement to pop of 5-10 shots every once in a while, I don't see the problem. I know someone that does this exact thing in their basement. The target is a big box, with a 2 phone books and a regular thin piece of steel behind it. Its set on a bench and he stands about 15 yards away. Works as its supposed to to stop his handguns. He has missed more than a few times and nothing happens but it embeds into cinder block.

Edit: didn't realize this was such an old post, didnt mean to bring up a dead post.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mac the knife</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The ventilation would have to be top notch, and would probably be the deal breaker. EPA regs wouldn't come into play if it was going to be for private use, but You would still want the lead and gunpowder fumes carried out. That wouldn't be cheap. </div></div>

primers have lead in them as well. among many other nasty chemicals. this is not stuff you want to breathe in. just look how dirty all your stuff is when you go to a indoor range. Its filthy. even if you get the toxic stuff out with venting, you will still accumulate a lot of ash and powder residue if you shoot often enough.

it is cheaper to just pay to use the indoor ranges. and safer. also if you have kids or grandkids, they will be exposed to lead in your basement and house.
not worth it IMO

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pNdV2KQmEMo"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pNdV2KQmEMo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Just buy yourself an air pistol and be done with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pNdV2KQmEMo"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pNdV2KQmEMo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object> </div></div>

Shankster...still Winning!!

I've been looking a small farm with one of those chicken houses on it.
Those things are about 150 yards long and have a good roof and straight as an arrow. They are usually built on concrete slabs.
Most have electricity and several ventilation fans installed to keep the fryers cool.

Some of the VA and NC farmers are giving the materials away if you come there and tear them down for them.

EHLAP.jpg