• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Indoor Training

roboto1138

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2011
West Chester, Pennsylvania
I am new to long/precision shooting and am excitedly and patiently awaiting a I.O.T.A. to improve my technique with dry fire pratice. I have found that dry fire pratice helps not only the muscle memory for accurate shooting, but also allows you to see what your doing wrong when you not shooting accurately. My question is regarding dry firing indoor once I recieve my I.O.T.A. Should I be using snap caps, or should i save my money? I know from my dry firing at the range that the majority of my mistakes are from handling of the rifle and trigger and do not know if the reaction from the snap cap recoil impulse.

Re: Indoor Training

The popular opinion is not to worry about centerfire weapons and dry firing.

The use of snap caps are good for running the action on a bolt gun for say.

Extractors tend to chew up the aluminum body caps.

I made some dummy rounds sans primer for practice, cheap and easly replaced.

Thank you for the advice. I am not worried about damage to the firing pin and as a result of dry fire. I was wondering if the reaction of the snap cap caused any real felt recoil like action that would simulate live fire. Helping with getting back to your target.....

Are you thinking that the snap caps actually have "snap" when dry firing?
They do not.
Simply an aluminum body with a plastic/polymer filling where primers would be.
Springs inside other designs to absorb pin impacts.

I feel like I get more vibration without a snap cap. More vibration means there is more of a chance to move/vibrate the reticle if I don't pull the trigger straight back. So, I feel like I get more feedback when I don't use snap caps.

I just loaded some spent rounds with just a bullet an the old primer seems to work good for me

Thank everyone for your input and advice. I had assumed that the snap caps did provide some type of additional vibration. You learn something everyday.