• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Inexpensive chronograph

I’ll second the Sporter. For the money and ease of use, there’s not another device I’d consider.

I've had good luck with a Competition Electronics ProChrono for a less expensive Chronograph.

Also like the magnetospeed sporter. Cant beat it for its price, ease of use and accuracy.

I went down the Caldwell path at first, and have regretting purchasing it ever since. The buy once cry once thing really applies to chronographs in my opinion. For a budget, the Sporter is great.

Could you give me an idea of what you didn't like about the Caldwell one?

My wife was ging to buy me one as a Christmas gift when she saw me borrow one (different brand) from someone at the range. She's not getting it, but i was considering it.

Thanks.

Could you give me an idea of what you didn't like about the Caldwell one?

My wife was ging to buy me one as a Christmas gift when she saw me borrow one (different brand) from someone at the range. She's not getting it, but i was considering it.

Thanks.
Many reasons, it can be finicky if you don’t have it set up 100% correctly, or if the weather isn’t good enough for it. Accuracy, in my opinion, isn’t very good. I’m sure it would be a decent option for pistol or getting extremely generic and non precise data, but for anytbing Precision I would stay away.

I started with the Caldwell. I replaced it with the Sporter. Night and day. When I ran them in comparison, when a shot would actually record on the Caldwell, the speeds were almost 100 fps off.

I went down the Caldwell path at first, and have regretting purchasing it ever since. The buy once cry once thing really applies to chronographs in my opinion. For a budget, the Sporter is great.
^^^ This right here. I not only started with a shooting chrony, I replaced it with a CED M2, damn. I'm still mad at myself for not riddling them with bullets.

Magnetospeed if you do not need to measure pistols or other things that do not have a good linear mounting surface.

Have also had good luck with the ProChrono but the magnetospeed is much more convenient when it can be used.

Magnetospeed may induce some POI shift.

Reactions: jb1023
All I've ever used is a Shooting Chrony. Setup is a PIA, some weather conditions can be limiting, and VERY occasionally I encounter error issues I can't explain. But overall, for the $80 or so I paid for it, I have to consider the results pretty good for the price paid.

However it's time to move on and I have a Labradar on order. Personally I have no use for the limitations of a Magnetospeed, I want velocity and grouping/accuracy at the same time.

Reactions: JimLee
I've had good luck with a Competition Electronics ProChrono for a less expensive Chronograph.

I've been using one for years and had great service out of it. About $100 on amazon.

All I've ever used is a Shooting Chrony. Setup is a PIA, some weather conditions can be limiting, and VERY occasionally I encounter error issues I can't explain. But overall, for the $80 or so I paid for it, I have to consider the results pretty good for the price paid.

However it's time to move on and I have a Labradar on order. Personally I have no use for the limitations of a Magnetospeed, I want velocity and grouping/accuracy at the same time.

I love my Labradar, unfortunately its not a "budget" chrono, everybody should have one.