• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

inexpensive comms (baofeng)

Triton225

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2019
Without filling this up with whys, Just whats.
Working with something is better than nothing. Having the ability to communicate if things get shifty and need to be able to talk to in a area. Or hunting buddies. Nice to have it work with walker razors too.
Is the baofengs the better inexpensive option(which model), whats the other option.
I know very little about this stuff, I understand you need a license of some sort above frs stuff. Would appreciate a good link to source where I can read up on some myself also.
Yes I completely understand the get what ya pay for concept, I usually follow it. With that said, if atleast some on my end have something, its workable. Can always upgrade as I learn more about it and have

There is more discussion on radios on the Fieldcraft forum right here. Yes - you need to pass a test to get an FCC "Ham" license to transmit on them. The entry level Technician license is pretty easy - I just used an app to go over the material - no books needed.

Bao Fengs are cheap chinese stuff but they work. I wouldn't depend on one but thats up to the individual depending on how they like to roll.

Btech is fine for a general use radio. I keep a couple of UV-5X3 radios in case we need to move in two vehicles and cell phones are out. Not very rugged or weather resistant but they work. For dedicated HAM stuff I use Icom, Kenwood, and Yaesu. The UV-5X3 ($64.89 on Amazon) is a triband so if you don't have a HAM license, stick with your approved frequencies. Remember, during an emergency, you can use whatever frequency you want in order to contact assistance whether you have a license or not and that is why many want access to more frequencies.

Last edited:
If you’re gonna insist on going ChiCom, please do yourself...and the rest of the rf spectrum, a huge favor and at least spend a few pennies more and go with Wouxun. Build quality and QC are light years ahead of Pofung, et al. You’re welcome!

Last edited:
Reactions: Zorrosdens
Ham here.

Stay away from baofeng. They are much harder to program and quality isn't there. My dad has tried to help others that got them and had all kinds of problems. Stick with Icom, Yaesu or Kenwood. They will work much better over time. You get what you pay for.

I've got an Icom t90a tribander (now discontinued) and I only spent $250 on it brand new and still works great.

Reactions: Zorrosdens
just buy a Yeasu FT60...

all the Boafeng models are cheap chinese shit......Yeasu is quality equipment and only cost $140....

if you are in a scenario where you are relying on a Radio.....things have gone to shit......i really dont want to rely on a $20 piece of chinese shit in that event.

Hello I am new to the 2 way world.
What is the range of a 5W radio?
Depends. On a triband amateur handheld radio they are limited by radiated power limits that are that close to your head. Rf levels. Some of the amateur bands you don't want to go above 5 watts where others can go 7 watts or more (while being handheld).

Biggest thing to keep in mind is that they are line of sight as well.The higher you go up the farther you can go.

Also if you get a better antenna than the factory rubber duckie you will get better performance out of a handheld.

Last edited:
Reactions: joemusso
Out side urban not sure on uhf or vhf
well in that case.....50 feet to 300 miles.....depending on a variety of factors.

long story short....radios work line of sight.......you are going to have best chances of communication if you can see the person you are talking to with no obstructions.......buildings, hills, trees, even changes in elevation are going to impact communications.

in an urban environment, i wouldnt count on being able to transmit more than a hundred yards reliably.

In general, everything being more-or-less equal, UHF is going to perform better in an urban setting (“going through” buildings) still no way to give you a simple answer. Hundred yards might be a little light, though... 😉

Just talking to my dad. Baofeng may say they are 5 watts which may be true but only on some bands in vhf. On uhf they only transmit at 2.5 watts. Have to look at the fine print. Also he says they are useless downtown Houston helping with the Houston marathon. No filtering at all. Programming is basically impossible. Says go with other brands mentioned. Some of the others are easy enough to program somebody can walk you through it over the radio. Save your money for the better stuff.

On the range they have been able to get 10 miles on handheld 5 watts back and forth in The Woodlands Texas. That is wooded flat land. Basically in a forest. You have to get a permit to cut a tree above a certain small size. No he doesn't live there. He's in Spring TX.

Hello I am new to the 2 way world.
What is the range of a 5W radio?

Did a range test with a buddy of mine with baofengs on a straight highway in an urban area. We could transmit to each other up to 1.25 miles and then lost comms.

Baofengs work. They do well considering the $20 price point. But the day you upgrade to a nicer radio will be the day they get shuffled to a shelf and sit. After getting an FT60 and a Kenwood mobile set up I dont turn on the Baofeng.

If you have $20 to blow and want to dip the toes in the water then sure go Baofeng. If you are serious about wanting comms just start out with a better radio.

Maybe look into GMRS aswell.

Baofengs work. They do well considering the $20 price point. But the day you upgrade to a nicer radio will be the day they get shuffled to a shelf and sit. After getting an FT60 and a Kenwood mobile set up I dont turn on the Baofeng.

If you have $20 to blow and want to dip the toes in the water then sure go Baofeng. If you are serious about wanting comms just start out with a better radio.

Second all the above, I’d just skip the Pofung altogether though, and go straight to a decent radio. If you want to be frugal you’re better off shopping for a used commercial radio in the band you want on fleabay. You can find really nice Motorolas and/or Kenwoods really inexpensively on a pretty regular basis. In addition to GMRS (UHF), MURS (VHF) no license required, is also worth a look. I have dedicated radios for both MURS and GMRS.

Soooo, is their a decent option under $100 that has similar features and accessories?
Wouxon? That FT60?

Soooo, is their a decent option under $100 that has similar features and accessories?
Wouxon? That FT60?
The standard baofengs have always worked well for me and my crew. You can run em with hand mic from a radio pouch on plate carrier or bag. They work well for what they are.

Wouxon? That FT60?
Do you know what frequencies you intend to operate?
The Wouxuns and the Yaesu FT60 are going to be a little over $100.00, but the difference is well worth it IMHO. You can find used Kenwood TK2360s in good condition on fleabay right now for < $55.00, just as one example. That used Kenwood is going to be a much better-built radio than anything Pofung offers.

You still haven't told us what you intend to do with the radio(s); nor whether or not you intend to pursue licensing of any kind. The radios you're asking about are not going to be "plug-n-play" they'll need to be programmed for the frequencies you intend to utilize, whether through the keypad, or through a copy the manufacturer's programming software, or CHIRP (open-source...). If you're looking for "plug-n-play", better stick with FRS, or... CB, Ugh! (don't take this as me recommending that option...)

edit to add: Here's a Wouxun that is Part 95 type-accepted (allegedly...) for GMRS Wouxun KG-805G GMRS ( $70.00 license, no test) for $90.00, or here for $80.00 Wouxun KG-805G GMRS Two Way Radio It will come pre-programmed for the GMRS frequencies. I'd buy this over a Pofung any day. YMMV, of course... ;)

Last edited:
If i understand correctly. I'd take a test, but not need to buy a license? And I could use the gmrs and murs? Just what I can reach out anywhere from 2 to 5 miles.
Purpose, generally just to have comms for a group if the zombie apocalypse (that nomenclature may not be in style now lol) or hunting basically.

MURS is unlicensed ("license by rule", actually...) no individual License required. GMRS requires you buy a $70.00 license from the FCC: FCC: GMRS, no test, just apply on-line and pay the $70.00. The testing that's been referenced is for a HAM ("Amateur Radio") ticket: Tech, General... et al. HAM Radio Great idea if you're interested, Tech is really pretty easy, the issues going to be whether your family and/or friends are also willing to study, and test for their licenses.

For more privacy one could look into using one of the digital modes. Most people don’t have digital so all they would hear is buzzing. DMR is capable of encryption but is illegal in the ham bands.

right. the thread i linked is mostly not people interested in using them except in a shtf situation where they would be better than nothing for listening to open channels and using them for short range communication, without spending a lot of money on something that is just going to sit in your bug out bag or emergency shit box.

Reactions: Triton225
For more privacy one could look into using one of the digital modes. Most people don’t have digital so all they would hear is buzzing. DMR is capable of encryption but is illegal in the ham bands.
I do not believe digital voice is permitted on either the MURS or GMRS frequencies. GMRS does allow for data transmission, but to the best of my knowledge digital voice is not:
(e) No GMRS or CB transmitter shall employ a digital modulation or emission.

Every time I go down this rabbit hole my head explodes.

Still don't have radios.
:ROFLMAO:
i only have them because people were saying the government won't let you buy them after october (of last year).
whenever the government wants to stop me from doing something, i want to do it :p
hell, the only reason i have a fully semi-automatic rifle is to say fuck you to gun control.
i've been shooting handguns and shotguns for 30 years but live hours away from a decent rifle range.

they might be a hassle to setup, but there are video tutorials that walk you through it.
you do want to get a better antennae, per people that actually use them.

plong is correct.
I was letting people know there are options If they need to be heard by less of the mob.

i only have them because people were saying the government won't let you buy them after october (of last year).
whenever the government wants to stop me from doing something, i want to do it :p
hell, the only reason i have a fully semi-automatic rifle is to say fuck you to gun control.
i've been shooting handguns and shotguns for 30 years but live hours away from a decent rifle range.

they might be a hassle to setup, but there are video tutorials that walk you through it.

I feel ya.

Its the paralyzing information overload preventing me from getting to the point of making a decision.

I want a set of 2 portable radios with option of adding more, durable & weather resistant (waterproof if possible) Usable in urban and also mountain terrain. Mostly for SHTF comms, but in practice used for occasional hiking, running around in the mountains, camping, boating on the lake.

I feel ya.

Its the paralyzing information overload preventing me from getting to the point of making a decision.

I want a set of 2 portable radios with option of adding more, durable & weather resistant (waterproof if possible) Usable in urban and also mountain terrain. Mostly for SHTF comms, but in practice used for occasional hiking, running around in the mountains, camping, boating on the lake.
Weather resistant you say...? For years my primary recommendation was to get a pair (or more...) of the Standard Horizon HX370S marine radios, wipe the marine channels, and program in the 5 MURS channels. Standard Horizon is Yaesu's sister company, along with Vertex Standard (formerly...?) for LMR (Land Mobile Radio). Yaesu = HAM, Standard Horizon = marine, Vertex standard = LMR. I'm not sure about how, or if, they all fit together now though, as Motorola purchased Vertex Standard a year or so ago...
The HX370S was a really nice option (HAMs loved 'em), could be purchased on sale for <$100, comparable build quality to a Yaesu FT60, marine-grade weather resistence, and came with a set of accessories that would've cost as much as the radio if it were a HAM or LMR offering. The HX370S has been discontinued and replaced by (I think...) the HX380. You should be able to accomplish the same thing with the HX380, but I have no personal experience so cannot offer a direct recommendation. Would definitely be worth researching, if interested in that type of solution though.
Edit to add - disclaimer: the above solution is not letter-of-the-law legal for MURS as the HX370S is not type-accepted for Part 95 (the HX370S is Part 80/90), so pursue this or a similar option with that in mind and at your own risk. That being said it is/was a much better option than a Pofung which would not even be Part 90.

Last edited:
I feel ya.

if you are planning to transmit, you should get the basic license, which is very easy. jmho.
i think folks that just want to listen and maybe use it if the "big one" hits here in earthquake country might skip it.
basically a bunch of newbs can fuck it up for real radio operators that know what they are doing.

basically a bunch of newbs can fuck it up for real radio operators that know what they are doing.
^^^ This. So very THIS!
That (with build quality being secondary) is the single biggest reason why I never recommend Pofung to a newb. Someone who doesn't know what they're doing, and doesn't really care to learn much "radio stuff", can do allot of "damage" without even knowing it...

Every time I go down this rabbit hole my head explodes.

Still don't have radios.

Yep.

I feel ya.

Uh-huh.

Pofung: the Hi-Point of radios... :p:LOL::ROFLMAO::p:LOL::ROFLMAO:! (couldn't help it...)

And shit like this is why. There is WAY more bullshit than real stuff, and name + price is how most of us can tell it's any good --Harris, Motorola, $1500 and up. Airsoft makes it all worse too. Try looking for anything remotely similar to an MBITR and all you'll find is garbage. Sure an MBITR is useless outside the army, but an aluminum case, long range, and some of the basic attributes aren't, but good luck turning any of that up. All Hi-Point's with DIY re-engraved frames.

Radios aren't my thing. They were my father's thing, he built 'em and all sorts of shit, turned one into what amounted to a cell phone in the 80's. There's a LOT you can do with 'em if you know what you're doing. I don't think Chinese junk was even available at hamfests in the 80's.

In the army we had comms guys to handle all this shit. It didn't look fun at all.

Whatever it takes to get the ham license, I can do that and I think a lot of people would be willing if they knew the difference. It used to be morse code but I understand it's all been made much easier. Or pay to play, I don't know. But I know it'll probably be worth doing to talk more than a few feet in good weather.

I think most people are looking for something handheld with range of a few miles, more if you upgrade later to a bigger radio at home and/or in the truck, some kind of security option would be nice (like frequency hopping, scrambling, etc., between two radios) and not be more complex than a Ti200 calculator to fully understand or program. Well made and rugged enough to not fall apart, because they'll probably ride around and get beat up in a backpack more than they'll be used. Ability to connect to a headset or ear pro would make them more useful to some. I'm sure I'm leaving stuff out but those are things come to mind when I'm looking and when I come across these threads.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
So going with K.I.S.S. would the murs be the way to go? Is thier one that can also pick emergency broadcasts?
Trying to keep costs and learning curve down, so I can get friends on board with getting something now/soon.
Also, to possibly "secure" the channel we'd be on. As said above, plugging into earpro would be nice to.

Here's my 2 cents on this as someone new to HAM radio and civilian comms:

I have a UV5R+ with a QHM-22 mic. I have 3M peltor ear pro on my bump helmet that uses the same 3.5mm audio jack your Walker ear pro does. My audio cable connects to the QHM-22 mic to the 3M peltors. This allows me to hear radio traffic into my ear pro, and I just push the talk button on the QHM-22 to transmit. You can easily just disconnect the audio cable from the QHM-22 mic and then hear and transmit from the mic instead of your ear pro.

In the beginning, I did not want to spend a bunch of money on something that will just be a phase for me. Instead, it becomes more interesting because I already know everything there is to know about guns...jk...but most of us will use comms to network more so than engage in direct combat. Therefore, I have been looking into higher quality comms.

I look at it like this...would you trust your life with a china made AR15 with china made optics? I wouldn't, so why should my only source of back-up communications rely on the same low-quality gear? The nice thing about the UV5R radios is they are dirt cheap. You can buy one for less than the cost of a box of ammo right now, so it can be your beater radio or absolute last resort.

You can thank the airsoft/milsim community for pushing the demand for military style comms adapters, antennas and other parts for the UV5R. However, I just can't justify spending $200+ on high-quality American made mil-spec accessories for a $35 radio.

Yep.

Uh-huh.

And shit like this is why. There is WAY more bullshit than real stuff, and name + price is how most of us can tell it's any good --Harris, Motorola, $1500 and up. Airsoft makes it all worse too. Try looking for anything remotely similar to an MBITR and all you'll find is garbage. Sure an MBITR is useless outside the army, but an aluminum case, long range, and some of the basic attributes aren't, but good luck turning any of that up. All Hi-Point's with DIY re-engraved frames.

Radios aren't my thing. They were my father's thing, he built 'em and all sorts of shit, turned one into what amounted to a cell phone in the 80's. There's a LOT you can do with 'em if you know what you're doing. I don't think Chinese junk was even available at hamfests in the 80's.

In the army we had comms guys to handle all this shit. It didn't look fun at all.

Whatever it takes to get the ham license, I can do that and I think a lot of people would be willing if they knew the difference. It used to be morse code but I understand it's all been made much easier. Or pay to play, I don't know. But I know it'll probably be worth doing to talk more than a few feet in good weather.

I think most people are looking for something handheld with range of a few miles, more if you upgrade later to a bigger radio at home and/or in the truck, some kind of security option would be nice (like frequency hopping, scrambling, etc., between two radios) and not be more complex than a Ti200 calculator to fully understand or program. Well made and rugged enough to not fall apart, because they'll probably ride around and get beat up in a backpack more than they'll be used. Ability to connect to a headset or ear pro would make them more useful to some. I'm sure I'm leaving stuff out but those are things come to mind when I'm looking and when I come across these threads.
So going with K.I.S.S. would the murs be the way to go? Is thier one that can also pick emergency broadcasts?
Trying to keep costs and learning curve down, so I can get friends on board with getting something now/soon.
Also, to possibly "secure" the channel we'd be on. As said above, plugging into earpro would be nice to.
On ham radio encryption and other security type things are illegal. Especially with the intent to obscure what the transmission is.

From part 97.113 prohibited transmissions
(4) Music using a phone emission except as specifically provided elsewhere in this section; communications intended to facilitate a criminal act; messages encoded for the purpose of obscuring their meaning, except as otherwise provided herein; obscene or indecent words or language; or false or deceptive messages, signals or identification.

Probably the closest you could get is to use some of the digital modes (rtty, packet, psk31 and the like) but that is a whole other ant hill of a rabbit hole. Basically slow dial up person to person over radio. I don't do any of that.

Speaking to others one of the great benefits of ham vs the others is the access to repeaters. You have to set up the radio to do it but your radio transmits on a frequency that opens the repeater (say handheld transmitting 5 watts). The repeater then automatically retransmit on a set frequency at say 80-150 watts. Repeaters are often set up somewhere high like on a tower, top of a building or on top of moutains.

Another benefit is access to better radios than just handheld. Mobile radios that work great for cars that transmit 50 watts out the radio.

The cheap BFs will still be around but in a configuration where some frequencies will not be available to transmit on US models. The additional frequencies are not a big deal either way. Some BFs are still around that can transmit on those frequencies but my understanding is newer ones are already modified to comply with FCC regs. There are mods / hacks for other radios, including the FT-60, that open up those frequencies if you want. The band plans for most countries generally align but there are nuances from place to place. The frequencies in question are used by hams in other countries but not the US. Again, not a big deal either way.

Reactions: plong
The cheap BFs will still be around but in a configuration where some frequencies will not be available to transmit on US models. The additional frequencies are not a big deal either way. Some BFs are still around that can transmit on those frequencies but my understanding is newer ones are already modified to comply with FCC regs. There are mods / hacks for other radios, including the FT-60, that open up those frequencies if you want. The band plans for most countries generally align but there are nuances from place to place. The frequencies in question are used by hams in other countries but not the US. Again, not a big deal either way.
right, i am not trying to justify the warning about fcc rules. some seemed to say that they could be used to listen to police, fire and rescue in the case of a big earthquake or disaster, while others were saying most of those agencies were switching to encrypted radios for everything and not just operation comms.

Reactions: Herb Stoner
If I understand your use case adequately, I’d say the Wouxun GMRS radios I linked above will be your mostest KISSest solution. They’ll come already programmed with the GMRS frequencies; just go to the FCC’s website, register and buy the $70.00 license, good for your entire “family”, and you’re (legally) on the air. GMRS will allow the 5 watt transmit power most handies will max out at and give the opportunity for up to 50 watts in a mobile or base radio. MURS will limit you to 2 watts, assuming you intend to operate legally.
GMRS also permits repeaters, there are several in my area. They’re generally “private” so you’ll need the owner’s permission to utilize one, but many will freely grant it, and more so for a modest donation to help them offset operating expenses. Repeaters are expressly prohibited on MURS. Finally, as I said in another of my long-winded posts above, UHF (GMRS) is going to do slightly better in an urban setting than VHF (MURS). Not trying to trash MURS, it has its place, and I have both, but IMHO GMRS is going to be the better solution for your stated use case.
As for “secure”... yeah... not gonna happen legally on any of the platforms we’ve been discussing here. We’re not gettin MBITRs fellas... 😉

Last edited:
One further thought regarding “secure” radio transmission: Google “goTenna”. No voice, short burst data only (text messaging), but encrypted and secure. Buy a pair, download an app for the smartphone you’re probably reading this on, and you’ve got the secure communication platform you’re asking for.

Last edited:

I get about 1k yds in dense suburban area at 5w on GMRS channels.

Obviously, that would be different in more open terrain with less insulation and interference in the way.

Having said that, I believe it's plenty for it's intended use.

For the folks saying these are a pain to program, go get the Chirp program on your computer. A cord, radio to comp. follow the directions (30 min for smart people or 1 hr for idiots like me to study them) and it was super easy for me. I’m not a comms guy but not hard at all.

I don’t think it’s that hard to store channels on the UV5R. Select your freq, press menu, enter 27 and store the under whatever channel number you want, done deal. The only time it gets a little messy is if you’re entering CTCSS for Rx and Tx then it takes a couple extra steps for that.

If you’re only going to program like 10 freqs and be done, then I wouldn’t even bother with chirp. If you’re planning on storing over 100 freqs and constantly traveling and adjusting channels, then get chirp.

Reactions: Rover31
Any thoughts or comments on the Garmin Rhino 755t?
Garmin's website says its 5 watts, GMRS, so everything I posted above re. GMRS should apply. I can't comment on the quality of the radio itself.
One important point, applies to the Garmin and everything else we've been discussing here: please don't expect the "... up to 20 miles over GMRS ..." they advertise. Highly unlikely in real-world use.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarinePMI
Garmin's website says its 5 watts, GMRS, so everything I posted above re. GMRS should apply. I can't comment on the quality of the radio itself.
One important point, applies to the Garmin and everything we've been discussing: please don't expect the "... up to 20 miles over GMRS ..." they advertise. Highly unlikely in real-world use.

Yeah, I’d expect 20 miles would be LOS to an aircraft or something.

I used to be a radio operator in my early USMC days, but that was with old analog 77’s (VHF), 104’s (HF-CW Morse code) and 113’s (UHF for aircraft CAS/CFIS). GRMS is a bit new for me.

Thanks for the response.

Reactions: Ravenworks