• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Inexpensive Single Stage Press?

sentry1

Crayon Eater
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2012
Madison, Alabama
I'm looking for an inexpensive single stage to use for reloading .308 for my bolt gun and 5.56 for my AR. I'd like to get a Hornady Lock 'n Load progressive at some point, but I think I'm going to wait till the holiday season and see what sort of sales pop up.

Recommendations for something that is inexpensive, but not a cheap POS?

Re: Inexpensive Single Stage Press?

Most companies put out an aluminum frame press. The RCBS Partmer is around $70 and Lee has one for $27. I used the Lee C-frame for years with Lee, RCBS and Redding dies. POS, maybe, but it has just kept on working for everything from 222 to 7mag. Definitely not benchrest by any means, but you can always use it later to deprime your brass. The Challenger is a bit better press and on sale for $60.

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?newcategorydimensionid=11523&

From my experience I'd say the Lee Breech Lock Classic Cast is at a great price / value point. Built like a tank and the breech lock for the dies is a nice feature. Primer disposal works well too. The Lee primer addition may come across to some as chintzy but the darn thing works well and is inexpensive. The press runs around $100 new and I've loaded thousands on it without issue so far.

If kit....go Lee Breech Lock Challenger Kits. Press only....the Lee Breech Lock Classic Cast is ....well....classic. I really prefer my Breech Lock Challenger because it allows me to have better "feel" for sizing and priming, if I choose to prime on the press. Sometimes I hand prime.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boltgunluvr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If kit....go Lee Breech Lock Challenger Kits. Press only....the Lee Breech Lock Classic Cast is ....well.....classic quality choice that you'll have forever. </div></div>

Yep to the Lee.

Made in America, using US railroad rails, on US made CNC machinery.

What's not to like?

I use a 550b but were I to get a SS press, it would be the Lee Classic Cast O frame. Not sure what the diffs are, between the breech and/or the standard version?

Chris

my lee breech lock kit got me in the door. I've 'saved' enough to get some nice accessories to go with it.

eventually it will 'save' me enough $ for a nice progressive.

good value to get going with - starting from nothing i was producing ammo with less than $300 invested - and my kit "paid" for itself in the first month
smile.gif

you wont be sorry.

I'd go for the LEE Classic Turret.
Set your die's once and do a turret change to change caliber's.

If your talking budget your probably talking Lee. Actually some really great reloading equipment made affordable. I've got some very expensive presses but I find myself using my Loadmaster more than any of the others. As for a single stage, I've bought a Rockchucker when they first came out but if I had to buy today I'd have to seriously look at Lee!

My 2 cents. The regular Lee Classic Cast, not the breech lock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChrisGarrett</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boltgunluvr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If kit....go Lee Breech Lock Challenger Kits. Press only....the Lee Breech Lock Classic Cast is ....well.....classic quality choice that you'll have forever. </div></div>

Yep to the Lee.

Made in America, using US railroad rails, on US made CNC machinery.

What's not to like?

I use a 550b but were I to get a SS press, it would be the Lee Classic Cast O frame. Not sure what the diffs are, between the breech and/or the standard version?

Chris </div></div>

The Breech Lock version uses QD bushings similar to (but not compatible with) the Hornady LnL bushings. The standard is threaded like a Rockchucker or similar. IIRC the bushings are a bit cheaper than the Hornady version, and they have a new version of the bushing out that combines the lock ring and bushing into one part.

<span style="font-style: italic">"My 2 cents. The regular Lee Classic Cast, not the breech lock."</span>

Ditto. For the life of me I can't understand how a screwed-in die swap, which can be fully accomplished in less than a minute, is felt to be a time handicap in a normal loading session. I wouldn't use the bushings if they were free, which they are not!

the benefit is not having to reset your dies EVERY time you swap them.

i still do a test press on a empty brass to confirm, but my dies tend to hold their settings (so far) in the bushings.

that is a HUGE benefit in my eyes.

YMMV.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: plant.one</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the benefit is not having to reset your dies EVERY time you swap them.

i still do a test press on a empty brass to confirm, but my dies tend to hold their settings (so far) in the bushings.

YMMV. </div></div>

This. Since you're screwing the die in to the *bushing* rather than the press, removing and replacing a bushing doesn't disturb the position of the die itself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Helter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: plant.one</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the benefit is not having to reset your dies EVERY time you swap them.

YMMV. </div></div>

This. Since you're screwing the die in to the *bushing* rather than the press, removing and replacing a bushing doesn't disturb the position of the die itself. </div></div>

And on the 8th day God made Forster/Hornady/Sinclair die lock rings.

Been using the RCBS partner press for years now....works fine for most jobs.

BnC