• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing inexpensive stock checkering?

SquarePizza

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2012
NY
Does anyone know of anyone out there that does checking on the cheaper side? I have looked at a lot of shops, but this is going on a field grade walnut stock and I don't want to pay what the stock cost me just to beat it like a red headed step child.

Checkering a gunstock properly is a time consuming job. Time = money. If you don't want to spend it, leave it bare.

You will get what you pay for.

I would check with Boyds gunstocks, they do laser checking, the worst is they will say no. They may have a stock in their bargain bin that you can have engraved as well. Cost $55.

Boyds:

I will give boyds a call. I am not trying to cheap out on the work, but a lot of shops seem to have a checkering rate for very complex patterns, and I just want bare bones basic, but the posted rates don't seem to get lower if you want less fancy.

If it's field grade and you have a mind, there's always stippling with a dremel tool. With some layout lines and a bit of practice it looks pretty good and isn't hard to do.

There used to be rubber stick-on patches available, with grippy surfaces. Just clean the stock with alcohol before sticking on. Or you could stipple with a 4 sided point sharpened nail, with borders cut in with an Xacto knife. Seal with poly after stippling.

There used to be rubber stick-on patches available, with grippy surfaces. Just clean the stock with alcohol before sticking on. Or you could stipple with a 4 sided point sharpened nail, with borders cut in with an Xacto knife. Seal with poly after stippling.

Seal with Poly?

I have a new stock in the mail and I am considering doing the same thing.