• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Initial Assessment of the AIAX

onetoe

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 12, 2009
Stockton, California, USA
First thing I wanted to do was change the barrel. I decided to install the barrel that came off one of my AIAW rifles, which is an AI 26” in .308 UK barrel. Once installed, the go and no go gauge worked fine as expected. The barrel is extremely easy to change. You remove the two allen head cap screws that retain the fore end grip, this exposed eight small allen head cap screws which retain the floating hand guard. Once the hand guard is removed, the barrel is placed in the barrel clamp it is easily spun off and the new barrel spun on. I wanted to change the barrel because I shoot a factory 175-gr black hills match ammunition and the 20” barrel has marginal performance at 1000 yards. Also, I wanted to compare the weight against an AIAW with the same features on the stock. The rifle is easily disassembled and reassembled in about 20 minutes

1.jpg

Eight allen head cap screws to remove hand guard

r6.jpg

The AIAX rifle as pictured has a 26” barrel length with unloaded magazine, weighing18.5 lbs.

525.jpg

The AIAW rifle as pictured is with a 26” barrel, unloaded magazine has the same push button adjustable stock features as the AX but no adjustable trigger weighed 19 lbs.

r5.jpg

Initially there was too much distance between the back of the pistol grip and the trigger. The trigger is fully adjustable, sliding forward and to the rear to provide proper engagement. Pretty much identical to the way my Anschutz trigger is on my T2000. It is easily done by loosening the allen head cap screw. I slid the trigger rearward and completely solved the problem and gave me proper trigger engagement.

r1a.jpg

The magazine well has been redesigned. A portion of the well has been removed on the left side for right-handed shooters. It makes it extremely easy to insert the magazine. Instead of having to insert it from the bottom through the mag well you can bring the magazine in through the side and it bottoms out against the other side of the mag well. Push upward into place until it locks. The AX magazine has a small lug on the front side that the AW does not. According to Stacey, the AX magazines are done this way to provide extra support and security due to the magazine cut out on the side of the receiver. There is no problem with using the AW magazines in the AX, however the AX mags will not work in the AW weapons. I tried the AW mags and they functions without any issues. I am going to use the AX magazines because they are specifically designed for the AX. After a short period of time you find yourself changing magazines extremely efficiently.

r2a.jpg

The rail system works very well. The holes on the hand guard are elongated with a round hole at the end. To change the rails you merely loosen them up, slide them towards the round hole, remove them and reinstall them by reversing the procedure. It is very fast and efficient to change the configuration. The octagon rail system gives you infinite mounting configurations for accessories.

r3a.jpg

The cheek piece and the butt stock are push button adjustable. This works well for me because in the sitting position I like a longer stock than I do in the other positions.

16.jpg

The butt spike works well. The push button is for the gross adjustment and the thumbscrew is for the fine adjustment.

SuppressorCleaning.jpg

According to the manual, the brake was designed to accept a suppressor; this is why it is built in this configuration. Evidentially the brake fits up inside the suppressor and seals it off. The brake works extremely well. I was shooting 175-gr .308 and had about the same felt recoil as my AW does in 6.5 mm CM with 140-gr bullets. I am going to change it to the new QD brake because it is a little bit smaller.

r4.jpg

I was able to put four hundred rounds through the rifle. Of course the accuracy was good, .5 of a minute at 100 yards. I shot the snipers hide dot drill with the 11/16 size dots after I zeroed the rifle. I had five misses but it wasn’t the rifles fault. I took it to the silhouette range and shot some 10” plates at 500 meters; 3.8 mils of elevation and .5 mils of wind resulted in an impact almost every time I pulled the trigger. I did some positional shooting at 200 yards. The rifle fits me very well, better than the AW. I would assume it’s because of its ergonomics and adjustability. Within the next week I plan to shoot it out to 1000 yards. I expect it to be all good.

Good: Easily assemble and disassembled. The octagon rail system allows infinite mounting possibilities for accessories.The ease of adjusting the trigger, butt stock and cheek piece makes it easy to fit the rifle to the shooter. The redesigned magazine well makes for quick mag changes with very little practice. The redesigned butt spike works well and is quick to deploy. The muzzle brake works well but it’s a little large. With the same extremely smooth bolt as on the AIAW.

Not so good: Rifle should be supplied with a couple more picatinney rail segments. Comes with a 20” UK barrel or a 24” Bartlein barrel. I think the 26” barrel should be an option, for better all around performance with the factory ammunition. The initial purchase price is a little steep, but I feel the rifle is worth it and I am very happy with my purchase.

Re: Initial Assessment of the AIAX

Very nice.. thanks for the review.

Just a note, the AX is offered with all barrel configurations as the current AW including the Bartlein barrels as well. The only setup currently not offered will be the Covert barrel and suppressor. Also for muzzle brakes, we have the new QD muzzle brake and for the M18x1.5 barrels we can install the basic AI AW, AW Magnum or the pictured AW Magnum Tactical model. Additional rail segments will be offered soon as accessories in various lengths as well. Enjoy, thank you for the write up and enjoyed reading your comments.

Awesome writeup, just bad for my wallet. I have been resisting getting one of these, but my resistance is weakening, I'm afraid!

Hard to argue against the fact that this is a move forward when compared to an AW.

Thank you for the write up.

Good luck

Thanks for the write up , the different mag , makes sense , as I could not see where it would have support, before this .

I am not keen on the trigger type shoe , would rather have a std AI trigger , is this trigger used in the AX 338LM version as well ?

Later Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChrisF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I am not keen on the trigger type shoe , would rather have a std AI trigger , is this trigger used in the AX 338LM version as well ?

Later Chris</div></div>

Yes they do.

Great write up and teriffic pics. Would like to see further range reports.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BachelorJack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The hand guard is too long for my purposes. Do they plan to offer a shorter hand guard, for shorter barrels? </div></div>
They have two different hand guards, something like 10" and 13". It looks like he is using the 13" version.

Congratulations on the AX. Awesome rifle.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards,

A few questions for you, as I am close to pulling the trigger on one of these:

Is your UK barrel a Lothar Walther, to the best of your knowledge? I have been told that the UK barrels are no longer Border.

Is the thread pitch on your barrel m18x1.5? (the same as AIAW factory muzzle threads.) I know that Bartlein barrels with the SAS brakes are 3/4x24, but I am under the impression that the UK barrels with the "tactical" muzzle brake is 18x1.5. Also- is it 1 in 12 twist?

Can we please get a pic of the bolt removed from the barrel? I want to feel the lugs.

Thanks,

-Bob

Just an fyi, the action on the .308 AX is the same exact action as a .308 AW, or so I'm told.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tburkes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just an fyi, the action on the .308 AX is the same exact action as a .308 AW, or so I'm told. </div></div>Good to know, as I swear I saw a different bolt, with two rows of three lugs each (on the .308,) but I don't recall where.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tburkes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just an fyi, the action on the .308 AX is the same exact action as a .308 AW, or so I'm told. </div></div>Good to know, as I swear I saw a different bolt, with two rows of three lugs each (on the .308,) but I don't recall where. </div></div>

Dang BM11, you just got your AW ( not to mention TRG) now you are on the the AX? Must be nice
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beenjammin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dang BM11, you just got your AW ( not to mention TRG) now you are on the the AX? Must be nice
smile.gif

</div></div>When you put it that way, it sounds like I have a problem...

Do the fasteners that secure the pic rail to the forearm have a pocket ,machined internal to the handguard, when they are in their installed position to prevent the rails from moving or does the assembly reley totaly upon the SHCS torque to maintain its position fore and aft in the slot.

Hope you dont me asking.

Could you please advice the specification i.e. height and cant of the scope base? I'm assuming that the 56mm PMII in the photo. I'm looking to order one from Spuhr but unsure of the height and cant for 56mm PMII on AX rail.

Many thanks.

First thanks for the review, I was just curious about the 20 inch Barrel, has it been tested and just how marginal is it at a 1000?

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beenjammin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dang BM11, you just got your AW ( not to mention TRG) now you are on the the AX? Must be nice
smile.gif

</div></div>When you put it that way, it sounds like I have a problem... </div></div>
Its only a problem if you think its a problem ...

We are currently offering a long (16"), medium (13") and will eventually a short rail (10") section I believe. At this time, all the rifles are coming with the long version, once things get going we will put out further information.

As for the UK barrels they can be either Border or Lothar Walther, we utilize both. If it has a UK barrel with AI standard, magnum or magnum tactical muzzle brake the muzzle threading will be M18x1.5 and all of these are 1/12". If it has a Bartlein barrel and the SAS QD muzzle brake, it will be 3/4x24, all of these are 1/10".

On the action, the AW and AX short action is one in the same. Only the long action is completely different. The bolt you saw with 6 lugs was on the long action not the short action AX.

The fasteners go into the rail, slip forward and tighten into a lower recess for securing.

Thanks for the answers, Stacey.

How soon before something other than FDE is available?

Thanks,

-Bob

Great write up and photos, thanks for posting.

DSCN0566-1.jpg

DSCN0565-3.jpg

I finally made it out to the long range. The rifle on the right is my AIAW. It weighs 21 lbs. with a 27" fluted MTU Barrel with a FTE Badger brake. It is chambered in 6.5mm CM and I am shooting the 140 gr AMAX factory match ammo. Rifle on the left is my AIAX, it weighs 18.5 lbs. with a 26" AI UK Barrel with a factory brake, chambered in .308. I am shooting the 175 gr Blackhills match ammo. I shot them from 200 yards to 1000 yards. It took me 10.5 mils with the .308. I shot both rifles one after the other to get a comparison. The AX was a pleasure to shoot. What is kinda funny is that the AX is 2.5 lbs lighter that the AW and I am shooting a heavier bullet but it had less of a recoil impulse. As a matter of fact, it was kinda of funny that I could hear the sound from the bullet being fired and then almost no recoil impulse. The cross hairs didn't move off the target. I attribute that to the barrel being more in line with the shoulder, the bipod being closer to the barrel and the humongous muzzle brake. If I didn't live on the extreme left coast I would be able to have a suppressor and then not only would I have almost no recoil impulse but also almost no noise. It was very accurate all the way to 1K. Keeping up easily with my 6.5 mm CM. The other thing I really liked was that after I was in position with the bipod loaded and when I had my sight picture, after I was done dry firing, I could insert the magazine without coming off my position. This is becuase of the modified mag well. The trigger is 4lbs but feels like 2.5. So far I haven't found anything that I can say I don't like. Looking forward to shooting the Barret MRAD which I expect to be very similiar in performance to the AX.

Just to add incentive to anyone on the fence for the AX. I got mine and the first five shot group at 100 has me liking the rifle a lot. Mine has the 20" barrel and SAS brake. There is very little recoil with this brake. I"m really liking this rifle and will be shooting the Cup with it.

f7520686.jpg

ca45fad4.jpg