• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

input needed tikka t3 lite or ruger american??

SPAK

Stupid can be fixed
Minuteman
Apr 3, 2009
Alaska
Hey guys,

I'm looking to purchase a light weight mountain rifle. Normally I'd build a custom but I just got one back and I don't have the funds or the time to wait for one. Planning a trip in October and I won't have enough time to get the build done.

So looking for a lightweight rifle in .30-06. Will be hand loading.
Topping it with a SS 5-20x50. I know, heavy for a light weight rifle, but it's tough and rugged and if i drop my rifle in sheep country I want to know it's going to hold up.

Would like to have a picatinny rail option if possible so I don't have to buy a different set of rings. I don't know if the ruger american has that option yet??

would like to hear your thoughts on accuracy potential, and also the bedding system of each rifle. I've never had any experience with the tikka recoil lug not being attached to the rifle, or the ruger v block system with no recoil lug.

Any thoughts pros or cons would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: input needed tikka t3 lite or ruger american??

IMHO, you will enjoy the fit and finish of the Tikka much more than Ruger. The Tikka offers a smooth cycling bolt, light weight, and very good accuracy.

Tikka all the way. Duh!
smile.gif

How's the Forend of he stock?? Is it free floating and stiff enough for use with a Harris bipod??

Are there pillars in the stock or a bedding block??

Thanks for all the input..

Tikka T3 lite. Love mine to death. Lite and accurate.

how about a 7mm-08 tika t-3 lite brand new in the box. never shot. friend has one for sale that was won in a raffle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: olivier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how about a 7mm-08 tika t-3 lite brand new in the box. never shot. friend has one for sale that was won in a raffle. </div></div>

No thanks.. I'm gonna stick to my calibers that I reload for.... It might be a good idea to read forum rules regarding sale postings...

+1 on the Tikka.

Shot a few deer with my .270 T3 lite. The stock isn't the most rigid but there is enough clearance that it is free floating when shot of a bipod.

if you've got the extra $200 or so the Tikka will cost, hands-down the Tikka.

Tikka, basically the only affordable rifle on the market worth buying. Out of the box they don't need anything..... except a scope.

I would take a Tikka over anything in its price range.

Here is a few groups with my Tikka T3 varmint in 6,5X55.
Barrel is factory barrel.

241523_10150322279604408_8285756_o.jpg

303017_10150552293064408_857030561_n.jpg

292809_10150406027164408_4269135_n.jpg

I am very satisfied with this gun!

I am ofcourse not using a pictinny on it, as there is a perfect steel rail already.
222195_10150286159344408_3623962_n.jpg

230360_10150286157219408_7451706_n.jpg

Regards Håkan

No experience with the Ruger but I have a Tika in 30-06 and it's reliable and accurate.

I have two T3 Lites, 204 and 243. Love them both and the accuracy is better that the guarantee, especially if you hand load.

No Rugers in the stable.

Wow...I think we have a consensus...

Thanks guys, time to go shopping
smile.gif

In all fairness to the Ruger...it is a Brand new rifle and I doubt many people have shot one yet. That being said..I've owned quite a few T3's and they have ALL been sub MOA rifles with handloads. The actions are super smooth and with the single stack/center feed mag, they feed Extremely reliably. Resale on Tikkas is pretty decent also.

Tikka makes a very nice rifle for the price. I own a 243 and have been happy. I handled a Ruger American and wasn't impressed.

The ruger would probably be a good rifle, but these guns are built to different price points. I wouldn't say they're really in the same league. The Tikka is a sure thing. The Ruger will probably shoot well but will have a cheaper feel to it.

When I was shopping I was looking at
Kimber Montana
Rem Titanium
Tikka Light.

I like the Kimber, been hunting with it for 3 years so far.
In hindsight and after having shot a Tikka its a close call.

Dave

Id go with Ruger. The T3 Lite has too much plastic IMHO.

Anyone know what the torque specs are on the tikka action screws?? Any problems with the bottom "plastic metal" cracking under torque?

Anyone know what the mag length is?? Can you seat a bullet out to the lands or are the throats too long or mags too short??

Tika is an excellent platform which has been based on the sako which is replicated by many; including nosler 48, howa m1500, s&w 1500, weatherby vanguard along with several others. I find these actions easily bedded with a simple butt drop. So swapping from hunting to rest platform very easy. I have a sako trg-42 and howa m1500 and no complaints from either. I like the feel of those tikas but never saw the need due to having the sako. But on the other hand I am very excited about the RAR. The v block bedding/recoil system is genius. about the same amount of surface area to take the recoil but dispersed over a greater region. The blind side bolt release. Three lug breech. I can keep going on. Basically the RAR as I see it has all the features I pay to have put on my rifles. The advantage to the RAR over the Tikka for me is the large bolt diameter. Less play, less wiggle room. But I gotta be honest im leaning towards a thompson center dimension first then if time I will pick up a RAR.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: L42a1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Id go with Ruger. The T3 Lite has too much plastic IMHO.</div></div>

Too much plastic..Have you not seen the Ruger American?

Two most important parts on a rifle, the barrel and trigger.. Tikka stomps all competition in both categories.

whoa! Full circle one year later!

So here's a report then: Went with the t3 lite and I'm really glad I did. The trigger is really quite good. I've got it down to 2.5lbs with no creep at all. The action is buttery smooth and shoots really well with my hand loads.

Barrel cleans up really well with minimal copper fouling. I was really suprised at this actually.

Things I don't like: not crazy about the plastic bottom metal and lack of pillars, it's easy to overtorque. I've got mine set at 35 in/lbs or so using a torque wrench. Not that big of a deal, but I'd prefer some pillars or bedding block. Also not too crazy about the recoil lug design. Doesn't seem like a whole lot of material mating up with the action and the fact that it isn't permanently attached to the action either.

I might spring for a manners ultra light stock and bed it, but the thing shoots so well, I'm not too quick to mess with it.

Despite what I'm not crazy about the rifle shoots very accurately and I'll leave it the way it is for now. It's light, compact and accurate. It does what I need it to do in the mountains out to 600 yards.

Ha! Ran across this in a search and had a full out brain shart thinking it was still 2012. Thanks for the update though!

I'm curious why did you not go with the hunter model (wood stock) ?

whoa! Full circle one year later!

So here's a report then: Went with the t3 lite and I'm really glad I did. The trigger is really quite good. I've got it down to 2.5lbs with no creep at all. The action is buttery smooth and shoots really well with my hand loads.

Barrel cleans up really well with minimal copper fouling. I was really suprised at this actually.

Things I don't like: not crazy about the plastic bottom metal and lack of pillars, it's easy to overtorque. I've got mine set at 35 in/lbs or so using a torque wrench. Not that big of a deal, but I'd prefer some pillars or bedding block. Also not too crazy about the recoil lug design. Doesn't seem like a whole lot of material mating up with the action and the fact that it isn't permanently attached to the action either.

I might spring for a manners ultra light stock and bed it, but the thing shoots so well, I'm not too quick to mess with it.

Despite what I'm not crazy about the rifle shoots very accurately and I'll leave it the way it is for now. It's light, compact and accurate. It does what I need it to do in the mountains out to 600 yards.

I have a tikka hunter and lite in .308 and a tikka lite in .300 win and they are all great shooters, come with a good factory trigger and have beautiful bolts. Forget the ruger and get a tikka and you will not regret it.

Two most important parts on a rifle, the barrel and trigger.. Tikka stomps all competition in both categories.

I'd have to disagree with you there. I've got a Browning A-Bolt in .30-06 that'll hold .5-.75 MOA with off the shelf ammo. Hornady A-Max loads & Winchester Ballistic Silvertip are what it likes best.

-Wood is fabulous
-Trigger is Superb!
-Barrel is Accurate!
-Action is the Smoothest I've felt in off the shelf rifle!

I know it wasn't one of your choices.....BUT I would definitely take the Browning over the Tikka. Not denigrating the Tikka in any way, they are fine rifles. But in a hunting rifle, give me blued steel and walnut Every day of the week and Twice on Sundays.

most of my hunting involves nasty weather. So synthetic stocks and stainless steel finish is preferred.

My Tikka T3 Lite in 30-06 is just about perfect. Throat was a good match with the magazine for minimal bullet jump, good trigger, smooth bolt and stiff stock (for factory). Still, I prefer stainless so I just got another one in .308 Winchester. Here's my hunting load.

Bullet: Nosler 168 gr. Ballistic Tip
Powder: IMR-4064 49.0 grs.
Primer: Federal 210
Case: Winchester
LOAL: 3.350 (2.720 base to ogive with Stoney Point gage)
Velocity: 2639.38 fps
Extreme Spread: 30.43
Standard Deviation: 10.14
Comments: Neck sized with Forster Bump Die and .332 insert. Bullets seated so that ogive about .018 short of rifling. Magazine is long enough to allow LOAL of 3.370

The .308 Winchester.

Attachments

• TikkaT3Lite308Winchester.jpg
    TikkaT3Lite308Winchester.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 74
Last edited: