• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Input on format for a little change up

Dthomas3523

Account no longer active
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 31, 2018
    South Texas
    So, I made a post a while back and I’m coming back to it. Just a small match for shits and giggles and a change.

4 squads with 8 shooters each

8 stages 8 hits per stage

Each stage is done on a shot timer. Take as little or as much time (with a 3min cap to hopefully prevent bottle necking) as it takes for your 8 impacts.

Any miss is +10s

If you hit 3min, you get 3min + 10s for any remaining impacts you failed to make.

Lowest time to complete the cof wins.

Since it’s just a small match, if you run gas gun, you aren’t in the running to win (unless a lot of gas guns sign up, then separate div).

RO/scoring only requires shot timer, and someone counting the impacts/misses. Write down the actual time taken and the amount of misses per stage.

Example:

Stage 1:

Shooter A: 1:47 - 2
    Shooter B: 1:38 - 0
    Shooter C: 1:31 - 1

Besides bottle necking, what haven’t I considered could be an issue?

Reactions: kindabitey
    How about 8 squads with 4 shooters each?

I like the format. So many guys, myself included, will game the clock for wind, settling target, etc. This would up the ante to be able to shoot in whatever condition you have in your glass. You going to come up to Central Texas to put this on for us?!

Reactions: MichiganMitten
    I like this format idea.
    Is there a maximum round count for a stage? This could limit the AR fellas and help avoid bottle necking if all 8 bolt guys are taking all 3 minutes.

Reactions: Dthomas3523
    I like this format idea.
    Is there a maximum round count for a stage? This could limit the AR fellas and help avoid bottle necking if all 8 bolt guys are taking all 3 minutes.

Could also implement a max round count as well.

How about 8 squads with 4 shooters each?

I like the format. So many guys, myself included, will game the clock for wind, settling target, etc. This would up the ante to be able to shoot in whatever condition you have in your glass. You going to come up to Central Texas to put this on for us?!

Gonna see if I can run a couple feeler matches down here to tweak it. I’ll run them wherever I can if the appeal is there.

It likely won’t change the pack positions most shooters fall in. But it’s something different. Also let’s you use your brain a little more. Decide how much time you want to dedicate to a stage or wait for the wind.

Reactions: ScottDWallace
    Not sure why there would be a need to limit the max rounds, as each miss equals a 10 second demerit. Shoot 15 rounds for all 8 impacts, you are going to get 70 seconds of demerits.

You might have the time penalty increase or decrease depending on each stages difficulty, and/or how the whole thing turns out. Game theory means that some shooters might go REALLY slow if the penalty is too large. Or vice versa, if the penalty is too small, it will encourage faster shots. It would be worth doing a few test runs to see how the shooters change their strategy after they have had a chance to experience the scoring.

I'd lean towards a smaller penalty than 10 seconds. Let the less seasoned shooters learn from their mistakes on the fly. The good shooters will still win, regardless of the penalties existence or not.

It sounds similar to the old 3-gun Long Range matches, except I don't think they had a time penalty for misses, and those matches had pistol at the beginning of most stages.

Sounds like a good time.

Reactions: MPrimo
    Where and when on the match???
    I havent shot recently or been to a match since last summer...

This sounds more fun

Reactions: Dthomas3523
    Squads of 7-8 are about perfect for efficiency. Squads of 6 too fast. 3 minute pars are possibly too long, and will result in a long day, nightforce elr was 2:30, which was reduced from 3 min. That was alot of time.
    I do like the penalized miss. The 2/1 dead target scoring is another way to accomplish the penalty for misses.
    please post observations.

I would cut the time down to 90 seconds. Forces the shooter to choose between potentially timing out or shooting faster than his abilities and picking up penalty time. Also, 10 seconds per miss might prove excessive. 5 seconds per miss, 10 seconds per failure to impact might be interesting.