• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Input on load data?

jeffersonv

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 20, 2008
SoCal
Savage A3
.223 Imp

First time attempting this method for finding a node.
It appears to me I may have something helpful here, I just need some input from someone more experienced.
Thanks!

Attachments

• 223 Imp node data.jpg
    223 Imp node data.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 41
Can i assume this is one round per charge weight increment? If so, that flat spot at 26.4 - 26.7 could be real or an artifact. After all you’re dealing with a sample of one (never a good thing). I prefer OCWs, ladder type tests aren’t reliable as a whole. Id do a ladder, see a flst spot then do the same ladder a day later and see a completely different flat spot or none at all.

At what charge weight did you see overpressure signs, if any of them?

Savage A3
.223 Imp

First time attempting this method for finding a node.
It appears to me I may have something helpful here, I just need some input from someone more experienced.
Thanks!
What speed do you want to run? Is that speed safe to run? If yes load it and do a seating depth test.

Done!

Can i assume this is one round per charge weight increment? If so, that flat spot at 26.4 - 26.7 could be real or an artifact. After all you’re dealing with a sample of one (never a good thing). I prefer OCWs, ladder type tests aren’t reliable as a whole. Id do a ladder, see a flst spot then do the same ladder a day later and see a completely different flat spot or none at all.

At what charge weight did you see overpressure signs, if any of them?
Yes. The last one. So maybe I guessed kind of right on which loads to test?
I'm thinking somewhere between 27 and 27.3 might be a good place to experiment with.
Thanks!

Yes, No, Maybe.

Only one way to find out.

Load up 10-12 rounds at each charge weight 27 and 27.3), fire three each at two 100m targets next to each other and see if poi relative to poa is the same for both. If so, fire them at 500-600m and see if the dope is the same (it should be if poi is the same relative to poa at 100).

Yes, No, Maybe.

Only one way to find out.

Load up 10-12 rounds at each charge weight 27 and 27.3), fire three each at two 100m targets next to each other and see if poi relative to poa is the same for both. If so, fire them at 500-600m and see if the dope is the same (it should be if poi is the same relative to poa at 100).
That sounds like a plan. Thank you so much!
I've already shot a .175 3 shot 100 yd. group (my lowest for the day using 70 grn Bergers) with the 27 grain load from a cold barrel while testing bullet seating depths. Interestingly all 8 groups for the day of bullet seating testing were fired using the (at the time) random charge of 27 grains and all combined were well under .5 inches, so hopefully I'm on to something at around that charge weight.
I think I'll look for a load with the lowest SD in that target area between 27 and 27.3 grains and see what shakes out if anything.
Hopefully I'm on the right track.

Last edited:
Reactions: nn8734