• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Input on nightforce scopes

Firemn260

Private
Minuteman
Jun 14, 2017
im in the process of building a 308 ar. I think I pretty much got my build list dialed in for a sub moa rifle with a 18" barrel.
I just can't decide on glass. I definitely want to go with night force but am not sure on weather I should just spend the extra money on the nxs. The shv would save me some money but since I'm sparing no expense on the build I don't want to cheap out on the glass. Im also not thrilled that the shv line is not made in the US. I'm pretty set on a 2.5-10x42 because I like the compact scopes to save weight. My primary uses for the rifle are punching paper for tight groups at 100 yards, steel out to maybe 500 and some deer hunting. this would be my first high end scope so I'm hoping someone can talk some sense into me to meet my needs. Btw I havnt even given a thought on what retical to go with.
Thanks

Good luck with what ever you decide. I don't want to steer you in the wrong direction but I got my first expensive scope earlier this year. Until now I have never spent more then $400. I bought the SHV 5-20 non illuminated scope.

Cost of NXS is in its 'ruggedness' or so I'm told. Bought my second NXS after I sold my first, but my local Nightforce dealer indicated to me that he thought the SHV was DEFINITELY the better buy.

Looks a good choice for what you want to do with it. I have the previous model with the smaller objective and it is fine in good light but loses twilight quickly. The bigger front objective was a good move.

I prefer the NXS or ATACR line, however, I have a SHV 4~14x50F1 on my wifes JP 6.5 grendel and we getting along fine with it. Her use for this rifle is coyotes and hogs and some steel to 500. Scope tracks perfectly and glass is very good.

The scope looks a little cheap on a JP. The higher end NXS or ATACR look much better on my other JP's. That might be something to think about depending on your build components.

Just finished helping a good friend sight in his SHV on his AR in .308 and I was pretty underwhelmed with the SHV. Looked about in line with a Vortex PST to me. It wasn't a bad scope necessarily, but I don't think it belongs on a rifle where you are "sparing no expense".

Thanks for the advice fellas. I think I will go with the nxs line. I just don't want to compromise anywhere on a rifle I'm putting so much money into. I've never owned a high end scope so I'm hoping it overwhelms my expectations.

Depending on the kind of shooting you plan on doing, you may also want to take a look at the ATACR F1 line for a FFP option, or even the Vortex Gen II Razor and Vortex Razor HD AMG. First focal plane can be a huge advantage, and used Vortex Gen IIs can be had here on the Hide for $1800.

I've got a ATACR F1 now and I am in love!

I have the beast, the ATACR F1 5-25, a couple NXS F1 (discontinued) and a NXS (2.5-10x24) and love them all. I also have 4 SBs and a Kahles ... these 3 companies treat me good. Sold all the leupolds.