• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Input wanted - New AI pre-14 AX or AX308MC or Custom work on existing FN SPR?

datguy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2012
WA state
Like the title says, I'm asking for advice from others who get it.. Back story is I was about to send my FN SPR to SAC for barrel threading, brake, bedding, trigger work and cerakote the whole shebang. I got to thinking and reading.. Started looking at leaving that rifle alone and upgrading to a new rifle. I'm not a huge fan of 700 style stuff. No reason, they just don't really appeal to me. Then, I found Accuracy International. I had never given their rifles much notice, because I haven't seen one in person. The more I researched about them, the more appealing they became. Shooting is my outlet and something I really enjoy. I can spend the money on what I want. I won't be buying another rifle anytime soon, so I want to get it right the first time.

I really like the pre-14 AX, a lot. I've found a few, both new and used. I also can't deny that the new AX308MC looks amazing. I'm not sure the additional cost will get me anything I care about, other than cool factor.

I have given the TRG-22 a solid look as well, but I feel like if I'm thinking about an AI, I best do it right the first time..

Or, do I get the work done to my FN and keep the cash?

Other info, I have all of the reloading equipment a guy could ask for. I have years worth of reloading components in .308. So, I want to stick with 308. I currently shoot paper and steel. I want to continue this and enter a local match next summer.

I appreciate any advice given.

If you have the AI bug then just get it. You could spend all that money on the SPR, but in the end you will still want the AI.
The new AIs offer some incredible features. I think the MC is a bit over priced but the AT is probably the best overall value going

I have never owned an AI before, so I cannot comment on the joy of ownership. I CAN, however, speak from having shot 2 other friend's AI's. Yes, both were AI AE Mark III's, but they were still darn nice rifles. Sadly for me, however, I could not shoot any tighter of a group with their rifles than with my SPR. I'm NOT saying these rifles are in the same league, but I'm just saying that after two different range sessions, I had no tighter groups than I could do with my SPR. As such, for me to own one, other than the "cool factor" as you mentioned, at the end of the day, my steel and paper looked the same with the AIs and my SPR. If this might also be the same for you, then I'd recommend keeping the cash and using it for other aspects of your shooting, and continue the upgrade(s) on your FN. In today's economy, despite what the ministry of propaganda is spewing, the extra cash might be better served in other areas. Just my thoughts from perhaps a different perspective. In either case, regardless of your decision, you will end up with a top-notch rifle, no doubt.

The AI is simply an amazing platform. Where to start? The AI to me feels so comfortable in your hand it's like you were born to shoot it. The trigger system is amazing and user adjustable. The action is bomb proof and permanently bonded to the chassis so bedding is not needed. The bolt throw is short, has a nice 3 position safety, and six lugs. The pre 14 AX, AXMC, and AT use the AW style double stack 10 round magazines which are extremely handy, 100% reliable, and easy/fast to load. If you are looking to get AI then you will DEFINITELY NOT be disappointed. In my opinion the AI is worth every penny and you get a custom rifle accuracy out of a bomb proof platform. I have the AT and love it!

If you have the AI bug then just get it. You could spend all that money on the SPR, but in the end you will still want the AI.
The new AIs offer some incredible features. I think the MC is a bit over priced but the AT is probably the best overall value going

My thoughts exactly :D

BTW, there's nothing wrong with SAKO TRG rifles. They shoot as good as any custom, but magazines are expensive, plus they don't have quick barrel features like the AT or AMXC.

If you are going to be changing barrels then the AI is the way to go. If you know your rifle will stay a .308, then the sako is a great way to go. I have all of the rifles you mentioned. The TRG has the best trigger and a more traditional grip that many prefer. KRG has a sweet stock up grade if you prefer a folder. They also sell am action wrench if you decided the need to change barrels. My 1995 AW still has the same barrel and shoots one ragged hole after all these years.

Like others have said though. Get the one you really want so there are no regrets later. The AI vs Sako debate is one of the oldest in shooting sports. I went through it myself and have owned several of each. There is no wrong answer. Got to go with your heart. Right now is a good time to get a great deal on either as older AIs have plummeted in price and you can find deals on the TRG out there as well. SO many good choices. Its what makes this hobby so fun.

Its happening right now with scopes as well. The Steiner VS Vortex debate is about to begin....

I jumped into the AI game today. I bought a .308 AXMC in pale brown. I've never owned a AI rifle before so I hope it's something I fall in love with. Right now I have 3 different rifles all setup the same. A .308 and a .223 both for practice and 6x47L that is my match rifle. It will be nice to just swap barrels from practicing with a .308 to getting ready for a match and putting on the 6x47 while never removing a scope and keeping the same platform.

A friend of mine has a SPR and loves it. He no longer shoots it in matches, but he still shoots it some. I've never owned one so I can't speak on them.

I have been behind a TRG and shot them, but I've never owned one as they just don't fit the type of shooting I do. For prone only stuff, they feel really nice.

I bought the AI AXMC also as an investment knowing that if I didn't like it, I could easily get my money back out of it should i decide to sell it.

The AT and AX308 (2014) decision is easy. lol

If you can imagine yourself owning the AT but still feel that you might want (even just a little) the AXMC, then just get the AXMC. I doubt you'll get the AXMC and feel that you shouldve gotten the AT instead.

My TRG and Defiance/AX AICS were replaced with the AXMC.

I spent my entire evening doing more research. Read all twenty pages of the AT thread and all of AXMC threads on here as well. I think I'm to the decision of AT or going for the AXMC.

Interested in what others have to say..

I have the 4.5-27x56 Razor HD II to go on the new rifle.. Vortex already won me over!

Last edited:
I bought the AT but after seeing the setup that pupdawg has it really made me want the AX, anyways like has already been said above if you have the inclination to purchase an AI just do it, you won't be disappointed. Also definitely get one of the 2014 models.

I have a 2012 AX. I love it. I was initially tempted to trade it on an MC but realized that changing a barrel isn't hard and it's not something I will frequently so at any point anyway. If you get a good deal on an AX, and they are out there, I wouldn't hesitate even though it's not the latest and greatest. If you do have the desire for quick barrel changes and can't swallow the pill for the MC, an AT is also a fine rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am a HUGE Win 70/FN fan myself, and like you, just dont care for a Rem 700. I pulled the trigger on a 2013 AX and could not be happier. To my mind, the only way to improve on the 70/FN is an AI. I had lusted over the AX since its introduction and am now spoiled for anything else in a precision rifle. I still have my 70s and an FN and will never sell them, but they have been relegated to hunting status.

If finaces would have allowed, I would have preferred an AXMC for the buttstock and the caliber/barrel interchangeability. Pockets werent bottomless so I picked up an older AX from Mile High that they were closing out. Best move I ever made.

Last edited:
I would recommend the AT or the AXMC if you are thinking about LR matches. I know you have tons of .308 gear, but if you get into match shooting you will be wanting something in 6.5 or 6. Both the AT and AXMC make it very easy to get a new barrel when you desire. Personally, I would take a new AT over an older AX just for the barrel swap ability. I have been running a DTA SRS for years, but after becoming an AI dealer, I am craving a new AXMC for my match rifle.

Ok.. I've read everything I can find and have exchanged PMs with several people here on The Hide.. I love the look of the pre-14 AX. I equally love the look of the new AX. With that said, it seems foolish to pay $500 more for a used pre-14 AX than I would for a new AT.

The AT is the "obvious" choice. Buying it instead of a new AX also means I have cash left for a Spuhr mount for the new Vortex Razor HD II and a Kestre AB..

Cheer me on guys, is this the way to go?!

Last edited:
I personally prefer the AX setup but there is absolutely nothing wrong with the AT at all! You will find that an AI is an order of magnitude leap improvement over even the legendary Win 70/FN CRF actions.

I would go AT. I personally really like the ability to swap out barrels/calibers. I have a match here in UT this weekend. One of our State's top shooters just had his barrel go out. Had he been shooting something like the AT, he could have had a barrel ready to mount up and swapped it out in less than a minute. Instead he is stuck borrowing a rifle to compete this weekend.