• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Insane Fishing Ship Footage Video

shankster..

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 11, 2004
North Idaho
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/T4FIS1FnOQg"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/T4FIS1FnOQg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Re: Insane Fishing Ship Footage Video

Dayum, those boys know how to have fun......what's the average lifespan of a deckhand on that boat? Like a second lt. on D-Day?

They drowned Batman and Jason Bourne.

How do they keep the camera so steady? I'd love to take a cruise on that little boat.

Yeah, screw that! I love fishing, boats, and the ocean, but thats just crazy!

I remember speaking with some of the Coast Guard guys aboard a pre-Legend class deep water ship. They told me that off the east coast, in very bad weather, the power of the waves crashing over the bow was enough to start shearing the bolts that held the main gun to the deck.

Id love to see how the Nimitz carriers handle seas like that.

I like watching those big wave vs. Ship stuff but no way I would want to be on one..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jig Stick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Id love to see how the Nimitz carriers handle seas like that. </div></div>I hear that you pull Gs when you're climbing stairs below deck under the bow.
laugh.gif

But five decks up, you can probably play chess.

Shit! I left my keys up on deck!

How the hell you going to catch any fish when your just trying to stay alive???

It's a fine line between "Yeeee hawwww!" and "AAAAAAH! I just sh!t myself."

I almost thought I saw ole Chuck Norris go flying by the one ship on his new Ranger bass boat. As for me I would have to have permeant fins and gills to breath thru before I go out on water like that. This is one of them you have to know your limitations, being on any of those boats is well beyond my limitations!

It looks like a collection of Coast Guard videos. I thought I saw their red stripe on the bow of one of the ships and it had a sonar nose on it. But yeah, I'd totally lose my cookies.

That's kinda what it looked like when I went deep sea fishing in high school, except it was a sunny day. Imagine that, on a smaller boat, and the strongest diesel fumes you can imagine. Worst day of skipping school ever. I must have thrown up 5 times.

....and that is why I'm glad I didn't join the Navy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jig Stick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Id love to see how the Nimitz carriers handle seas like that. </div></div>

Went to Refresher Training on a 213' cutter and spent weeks getting called shallow water sailors by the navy instructors. We finished training with a 97% average, the instructors said navy ships were averaging 70-75% for the training. The training command decided to send 2 instructors home with us for a week or so to observe how we trained. They sent 2 chiefs that had spent their entire careers on carriers, about the time we rounded Point Loma to go home the north Pacific went to shit. The 2 chiefs that had called us shallow water sailors for weeks didn't get out of their racks until we crossed the bar at Humboldt Bay, they didn't give us a hard time after that. I guess carriers don't pitch 45-55 degrees in heavy seas
smile.gif

I grew up on the coast, and I've had some open water experience. I'd planned to join the Navy when I was much younger, but family issues led me in a different direction. But at the time, for *this* reason, I knew I was either going to fly off of a carrier to be above this, or get on a sub to be below it. I'd have been puking myself inside-out on any of those boats. That's just hellacious.

Screw that stuff.

Them-thar boys got some big friggin' balls. Big hairy balls.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want to know how they built that lighthouse. </div></div>

They did it before globular warming.

I'm guessing that crew never watched "Perfect Storm"???

I remember reading off the marine forecast on the HF radio for areas of the Bearing Sea. I was reading off the different area's that we do everyday and I came to one section that read "60 knot winds and 50 foot seas". I stopped in mid sentence dumbfounded. I just thought, "I hope no one is out there today."

I have been on an aircraft carrier in the artic ocean. On one occasion the water was hitting the island on the flight deck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want to know how they built that lighthouse. </div></div>
No kidding, Imagine being stuck in it during one of those storms lol.

BTW...this might be a stupid question, but how do they build lighthouses? I would think the waves might make any sort of construction somewhat difficult.

No thanks, gotta pass on that journey.
Would also like to know how they build a lighthouse

Been in seas like that more than a couple times on a DDG. At 505' long and 66' wide they ride fairly well for a small boy. However, I have seen the black strike plates around the 50 cal mounts get reduced to their individual ceramic bullet resistant tiles when we took a wave off the VA Capes area. It also sheared off the hatch leading to our port break and laid it on the Foc'sle.

I will have to see if I can dig up some photos of our operations with the South African Navy around the Cape of Good Hope.

Josh

The part of that clip that I found most impressive was when the Navy ship, and about half to two thirds of it's mast was in the trough of the wave before it popped back up.

Mankind...just admit it. Nature still has the capability to make you "her bitch".

That is insane..or rather those guys doing that are insane if they get back on a boat after going through one episode like that

I heard some other Coasties chime in, but most guys with any sea time in the Pacific or Northern Atlantic have experienced this first hand.
For me, it was cool for the first couple hours, after that, you just want it to stop...
Fortunately for me, I don't get seasick.
wink.gif

I'll take full roll over and 700F inside a structure over that anyday! F that!

ahhhhhhh a walk back through memory lane, Bering Sea in a 180, and a Breaker.