• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

install DIP bottom, Boyds, Savage MkII FV-SR

Impact

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2007
Los Angeles,CA
hi guys,

quick question for those who have done it:

RE: install DIP #13096.

I dropped the action/barrel of the savage mark II FV-SR in the Boyds tacticool stock. Everything fits fine. Then I installed the DIP bottom metal and trigger guard.
Now, I have 3 screws in the DIP kit : 2 hex and 1 wood but 4 holes to fill. I use one hex for the bottom metal and action of the mark II, the other hex for the trigger guard and mark II action but the wood screw, which hole should I use ? right now I use it on the trigger guard but I'm missing one screw for the bottom metal. Is this normal ? is the bottom metal supposed to be held by only 1 screw ?

thanks for your time.

ct46b.jpg

Re: install DIP bottom, Boyds, Savage MkII FV-SR

For some reason I'm wanting to say I had to use an original screw from the factory stock. I could be completely wrong though. The wood and hex screws should be pretty self-explanatory....? If I remember correctly, the trigger guard uses wood screws as the original plastic stock trigger guard was molded. It's been a while. I may not be right about any of that....

thanks. I was trying to re-use the wood/plastic screw from the original stock in the DIP metal bottom but it's too short.
I sent an email to DIP support to find out.

I just did this exact thing no more than 3 days ago, same parts (FV-SR, DIP, Boyds Tacticool) and had no issues. Yes the DIP metal only comes with 3 screws, and you have 4 holes, but you reuse one of the screws from the standard FV-SR for the plate around the mag well.

thanks. The FV-SR wood one is too short and does not "bite" enough since the DIP bottom metal plate is much thicker. A longer one would be better. Still waiting on DIP answer.

pic form DIP website:

10019_45405.jpg

I double checked the type/size of the 3 screws that come in the DIP package. The only way to do it is like the first picture I posted.
I only have one screw on the bottom metal (the front one for the mkii action). I will got to ACE hardware next week to find a longer wood screw for the bottom metal.

When you think about it, DIP sells a package with trigger guard/bottom metal ( 4 holes total) but only includes 3 screws..kinda strange.

I just took a look at my 93r. I have two machine thread cap screws on the trigger guard, a machine thread button head on the front of the mag metal and a button head wood screw in the rear of the mag metal. I do think I remember seeing something about the 93r and the mkII having a different action screw setup though, so yours may differ.....

Mine was the same way. I just went to Ace Hardware and purchased the next size up wood screw in black. Fortunately, Ace had exactly what I needed. Not perfect but doesn't look out of place. If you can't find one locally, I could probably send you one. I drive by Ace nearly everyday.

2ikrybd.jpg

thanks brother. There is a ACE next to my work so I'll go check it out.

Is there a such thing as finding a hex button head wood screw at a place like ACE or Lowes? As much time as I spend at those places I should know, but I can't say I've seen them for sure.

answer from DIP:

Sir

Thank you for your recent order. You are correct in using the wood screw in the trigger guard. The extra hole in the maagzine plate is for the factory wood screw in your old stock that holds the magazine plate to the stock. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Impact... Could I ask where, or who did that bolt handle for you.... Awsome

I think If I am not mistaken the DIP bottom metal is made for factory wood stocked rifles that would have a longer screw to start with. The tupperware stocked guns have diffrent length action screws and wood screws compared to a factory wood stocked gun.

Dustin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mavrick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think If I am not mistaken the DIP bottom metal is made for factory wood stocked rifles that would have a longer screw to start with. The tupperware stocked guns have diffrent length action screws and wood screws compared to a factory wood stocked gun.

Dustin </div></div>

I think you are right. I'm taking the wood screw from my plastic stock to ACE to get a longer one to fit the Tacticool/DIP combo.
Unless someone can get us the dimensions of the wood screw that comes with the wood stock from savage.

thanks guys !

The screw I bought at Ace is a #8 1/2" pan head sheet metal screw in black chromate to be exact. It's not really a wood screw but works just fine. Could have went with 5/8" but didn't think it was necessary.

They have shiny black, painted head screws, too. Those aren't the ones you want.

Guys
I have my Savage Mark II coming in any day. I ordered the Tacticool stock and the DIP trigger guard is coming in. I will be replacing the bolts with torque head screws. You can go to specialty shops, as well as Lowes or Home Depot, and get the proper bolts. The mag well is light weight, so the screws will do. My question is, does anyone have a torque setting for the action? I read on another forum, 10 in/lbs. My M24 uses 65 in/lbs, so this seams real light. I know there is a huge difference in recoil. Anyway,,,great post and looking forward to conversing.

Good luck finding a torque pan head #8 sheet metal or wood screw in black chromate. I'm pretty sure you can earn a search-fu black belt if you come up with one.

go to your local hobby shop and you'll find some hex head wood screws.

If you can't find them, let me know and I'll see what I can find. I've got them for my RC helicopters and a couple planes, if I know a size, I could get you a part number and/or a place to order some from.

Black chrome? probably not but black phosphate isn't a problem

May want to look at Micro Fasteners or RTL Fasteners

#8 1/2" or 5/8" long pan head or button head

Black chromate is listed on the box at Ace but black oxide, black phosphate is pretty much the same thing. Micro and RTL do not have #8 screws in that config. I looked and didn't see them.

I used 15"lbs to torque my action screws. With my bedded action, action screw torque does not seem to have much of an effect on poi.

Not sure where I read it but someone had success by laddering up the torque to find where his Savage liked it, shooting a few groups of the same ammo between steps. As I recall his groups came together the best around 35 inch/lbs, but you would have to try for yourself on your rifle. I'll give that a try myself when my FV-SR comes in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Win308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not sure where I read it but someone had success by laddering up the torque to find where his Savage liked it, shooting a few groups of the same ammo between steps. As I recall his groups came together the best around 35 ft/lbs, but you would have to try for yourself on your rifle. I'll give that a try myself when my FV-SR comes in. </div></div>
Ft lbs or inch lbs?

This group was shot when my action screws were finger tight. It is actually one of the worst groups that day....
IMAG0117.jpg

Stopped by ACE this afternoon and installed a #8 5/8" sheath metal button head (black phosphate) through the bottom metal/boyds stock. It's rock solid now. Won't go anywhere..LOL

looks much better.

Cool. You'd think DIP would toss that 13¢ screw in the package unless it's hard to find. Maybe they will at some point.

I took this a step further and forwarded DIP a link to this thread, and this was their response:

Marc
Thank you for the link. I have had a couple people ask about the screw in the last couple of months but no one really explained why and they indicated the hole in the stock was too big, not the screw to short. I picked up another MKII about 2 months ago and have not had a chance to move the action to my Boyd’s stock. I pulled the screw from the bottom metal and it would appear that Savage changed the screw to save a couple more pennies as it is only about ¼” long. All the 2-10yr old Savage 93/MKII I have the #6 screw is ½” long. I ordered some #6 – ½” long TORX drive screws for the “Kits” to hold me until I can have them made. I think the #8 screw might cause some of the Boyd’s stocks to crack at the hole because there is so little material(wood) where the hole is placed, but they may not. I don’t want to take the chance.

Thanks again, Bob
Diversifed Innovative Products

I think it might be an issue if the wood was harder. But it's so soft it easily compressed around that bigger screw.

I've not had issue after several thousands of rounds but my torque is only around 10-15 in lbs.

By the way as I recall, the screws get smaller as the number goes higher. I could be remembering that wrong, but I was thinking the #10 screw was too small and that's why I went with #8. Could be wrong.

The #8 screw diameter fits that DIP hole perfectly, too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TwoGun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... By the way as I recall, the screws get smaller as the number goes higher. I could be remembering that wrong, but I was thinking the #10 screw was too small and that's why I went with #8. Could be wrong.

The #8 screw diameter fits that DIP hole perfectly, too.</div></div>
Nope. Screw sizes get larger as the number increases.

Just wanted to clear that up.
wink.gif

thanks for the follow up with DIP. I use a #8 screw and it's solid now. #6 wasn't biting enough in the wood.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TwoGun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cool. You'd think DIP would toss that 13¢ screw in the package unless it's hard to find. Maybe they will at some point. </div></div>

You would think...

Bob at DIP indicated that he would be including the screw with the kit, and that he would send me one as soon as he got them.

I used the two DIP action screws, then I used the DIP hex head wood screw at the rear of the trigger guard. I used the tiny stock wood screw in the back hole in the bottom metal. Is this what yall did?

There's so much talent on this forum, so I'm shocked nobody has CNC'd their own 1-pc bottom metal for the Savage 93 series.

I would totally buy one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jackh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I used the two DIP action screws, then I used the DIP hex head wood screw at the rear of the trigger guard. I used the tiny stock wood screw in the back hole in the bottom metal. Is this what yall did? </div></div>

except the tiny wood screw wasn't threading much. You could almost pull on it. It's too short. I ended up picking a different one at ACE.

I had to get one at the hardware store too ..
But it appears Bob was not aware of the screw changes at Savage and is stepping up to the plate now he knows about it ....Kudos to him

I received a new DIP bottom metal kit in the mail on Saturday and it came with two wood screws. Everything fit perfect on my Boyd's laminate hunter stock.

The stock and bottom metal are both very high quality, especially for the cost.

Great rifle, and great groups. Happy shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scrambles</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I received a new DIP bottom metal kit in the mail on Saturday and it came with two wood screws. Everything fit perfect on my Boyd's laminate hunter stock.

The stock and bottom metal are both very high quality, especially for the cost. </div></div>

When did you order yours? I got mine on the 14th, had ordered it just a few days before that, and only had one wood screw.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jackh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

When did you order yours? I got mine on the 14th, had ordered it just a few days before that, and only had one wood screw. </div></div>

I ordered mine on Dec. 11th.