• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Installing a Ops. Inc. Brake and collar?

5RWill

Optics Fiend
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Oct 15, 2009
    Mississippi
    I'm getting close to ordering my BCM 18" MK 12 Mod 1 upper with the KAC RAS. Since noone has the Ops Inc. brake and collar in and BCM hasn't completed "their" version of it. I'm just going to save 200$ at the moment and get it with the A2. Now what i'm wondering is when i pick up a Ops Inc brake and collar can i install it myself? Or would it need to be sent to BCM or others?

Re: Installing a Ops. Inc. Brake and collar?

As long as the barrel has the proper profile for the brake and collar, and you have a large enough wrench, you should have no problem with the install.
    You simply slide the collar onto the barrel until it stops at the step in the barrel, then you tighten the set screw locking it into place. After that you install the brake with either shims or a crush washer and torque to spec. Make sure you use some type of locking compound for both.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: michealj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As long as the barrel has the proper profile for the brake and collar, and you have a large enough wrench, you should have no problem with the install.
    You simply slide the collar onto the barrel until it stops at the step in the barrel, then you tighten the set screw locking it into place. After that you install the brake with either shims or a crush washer and torque to spec. Make sure you use some type of locking compound for both.</div></div>

Good to hear. I'm not positive that BCM's SPR/MK12 Barrels are profiled for it, doesn't really say. But i would suspect they are. Here's a picture.
    BCM-RECBRL%2018SS-2.jpg

I'm pretty sure it is properly profiled for the brake and collar, at least the BCM a buddy of mine got certainly was.

All the brakes I've installed have used the OPS factory crush washer and a KAC shim to limit it to roughly a quarter turn (or less) of tightening to 12:00. Used 1 drop of high temp red loc-tite or rockset and never had a problem. Had shooters tell me this was wrong, or not necessary, but the best armorer I knew said it was what he does on a $500 barrel!

Had one Krieger barrel that was KG coated that was a tight fit with the collar, put the upper in the freezer, then heated the brake with a propane torch and it slid right on without a scratch!

SPRD760.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: edwin907</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm pretty sure it is properly profiled for the brake and collar, at least the BCM a buddy of mine got certainly was.

All the brakes I've installed have used the OPS factory crush washer and a KAC shim to limit it to roughly a quarter turn (or less) of tightening to 12:00. Used 1 drop of high temp red loc-tite or rockset and never had a problem. Had shooters tell me this was wrong, or not necessary, but the best armorer I knew said it was what he does on a $500 barrel!

Had one Krieger barrel that was KG coated that was a tight fit with the collar, put the upper in the freezer, then heated the brake with a propane torch and it slid right on without a scratch!

SPRD760.jpg
    </div></div>

Good to hear. Bookmarked, thanks for the advice. This is a rather weird question, but how loud is the rifle with the Ops. Inc. Brake? This upper is being split by me and my father, him donating 500$ and me finishing it. He wants just a plane barrel on there with no FH. But what he doesn't realize is this is going to be a MK12 mod 1 clone and will be suppressed in the coming years. I've tried to explain to him it shouldn't be that loud. He dislikes my 14.5 BCM mid because it truly is loud but it also has a PWS SM556 on it and is 3.5 inches shorter. It's being put on regardless but i was just wondering.

Blackops, I don't know if I'm qualified to answer that for 2 reasons, first my hearing is sh-t (race cars/bikes, rock/bluegrass soundman, lots of guns, lots and lots of guns) and second, I almost always shoot suppressed (now).

But, it's not near as loud as some of the other brakes (MSTN QC which stands for quiet!), and to me, a bit louder than the Vortex, not a lot, but louder. It does depend on where you stand (sides = loud). If actually doing the shooting, you notice it but not a problem at all. Not like your 14.5" with brake. But there are some frequency bands I hear almost nothing in, so like I said, not the best judge of it.

I like the brakes performance. First, it's a 5.56 so there isn't much recoil anyway, but the brake does a good job on muzzle rise and allows the rifle to stay on target better than a flash suppressor could. You can blast away from the bipod without the muzzle hopping around which gives good long distance rapid fire accuracy/repeatability. Not as good as with the suppressor, but good.

The Ops Inc brake makes no significant change to the noise level nor does it cause a major side blast. Their performance on a 5.56 is really nice though, especially when combined with a heavier stock (UBR for me) and a H buffer. I highly doubt you will be disappointed.

I checked HCS, i didn't notice that they were in stock. I guess i was looking for pictures. Thanks for the heads up Re25.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Ops Inc brake makes no significant change to the noise level nor does it cause a major side blast. Their performance on a 5.56 is really nice though, especially when combined with a heavier stock (UBR for me) and a H buffer. I highly doubt you will be disappointed.</div></div>

Thats what i figured. It's doesn't seem like it's designed to dissipate that much as compared to my SM556, which i love it and all but if your not behind the gun it is seemingly louder than a standard A2. Also vibrates the ground your standing on lol. But hey that muzzle doesn't move and your sight picture and target transition is super fast. Good to hear.

For what it's worth, I've had guys at the range (Sitting next to me) tell me that my mk12 is louder than a standard AR with your traditional flash hider. From my perspective, it seems no different than my other AR's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackops_2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm getting close to ordering my BCM 18" MK 12 Mod 1 upper with the KAC RAS. Since noone has the Ops Inc. brake and collar in and BCM hasn't completed "theyre" version of it. I'm just going to save 200$ at the moment and get it with the A2. Now what i'm wondering is when i pick up a Ops Inc brake and collar can i install it myself? Or would it need to be sent to BCM or others? </div></div>
    I did that exact same thing, and mine fit like it was supposed to.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mstennes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    I did that exact same thing, and mine fit like it was supposed to.</div></div>

Good to hear, finally got an email back from bravo company and they confirmed the same.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackops_2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm getting close to ordering my BCM 18" MK 12 Mod 1 upper with the KAC RAS. Since noone has the Ops Inc. brake and collar in and BCM hasn't completed "theyre" version of it. I'm just going to save 200$ at the moment and get it with the A2. Now what i'm wondering is when i pick up a Ops Inc brake and collar can i install it myself? Or would it need to be sent to BCM or others? </div></div>

Are you going to be using the Ops Inc. suppressor with it? If so - the spacing between the collar and brake is somewhat critical because the collar is the stop for the suppressor when you thread it on. The setscrew on the collar is just to keep it from falling off, not to hold it against the suppressor. The step in the barrel is what's intended to hold it against the suppressor. So, the step not only has to be there, it has to be in the correct location.

Yes i plan on running the 12th model a year from now. Thanks for the heads up. Will be sure to post pics when i have the brake on and see if everything seems to spec. Will be while before i buy the brake. I'm in the process of building a range, getting a MK4 M3(for the SPR) and getting a micro H-1 for my BCM 14.5. Then after that plan to finish my .308 bolt rifle with bottom metal and a oversized bolt knob.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackops_2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes i plan on running the 12th model a year from now. Thanks for the heads up. Will be sure to post pics when i have the brake on and see if everything seems to spec. Will be while before i buy the brake. I'm in the process of building a range, getting a MK4 M3(for the SPR) and getting a micro H-1 for my BCM 14.5. Then after that plan to finish my .308 bolt rifle with bottom metal and a oversized bolt knob. </div></div>
    I dont know if its exact, but my OPS fit as it was supposed to and my 12th model screwed on as it was supposed to, how do you know if its off?

your can will come loose, your rounds will keyhole in the can and your team members will wonder why your tracers are shooting around corners.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: A10XRIFLE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ive got Ops Inc Brakes and Collars if you need a set. </div></div>

Thanks for the notice George will give you a call when the time comes. Also looking to get a Templar build in the coming years. Being in college and shooting don't mix.

William