• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Installing a Prefit

I have a feeling I might need to learn something here, buy why put anything in the vise? Aluminum jaws so it should give before the steel in the barrel does, I was thinking nothing further was needed? Perhaps I've just been lucky to date but I use nothing in the jaws and haven't caused any damage to my barrels.
I picked up a Short Action Customs Modular Barrel Vise kit on their holiday deal and they recommend a small strip of drywall tape. They even put a short strip in the box with the vise. Works great!

I picked up a Short Action Customs Modular Barrel Vise kit on their holiday deal and they recommend a small strip of drywall tape. They even put a short strip in the box with the vise. Works great!
I got a bravo and wish I went with a modular.

Reactions: Herb Stoner
In my barrel vise I used to use toilet paper rolls or paper towel rolls between the barrel and vise but now have a piece of leather.

Any time I open a can of Anti-seize that shit ends up everywhere, even after a shower it will end up in the bed sheets. Ha!
I think I’ll go with the grease option.
Go to Brownell's. They have a copper anti-seize that is recommended for barrel tenons. it's ~ $8.
Also, recommend the Brownell barrel vise with the aluminum inserts for your particular barrel size.
Good luck. The most accurate rifle i own is an Impact 737 action w/ an Impact 6 GT shouldered pre-fit spun up. 10 shot groups in a ragged hole off of a bipod.

Attachments

• IMG_1600.jpg
    IMG_1600.jpg
    305.3 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1601.jpeg
    IMG_1601.jpeg
    757.1 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Reactions: Hondo1
Go to Brownell's. They have a copper anti-seize that is recommended for barrel tenons. it's ~ $8.
I have have no shortage of anti-seize in my shop. My other hobbies are rock crawlers and hot rods. I just want to avoid that nasty shit whenever possible. I think I’m going to assemble with moly paste.

Well to be fair there are PhD's dedicated to fasteners. If it was trivial entire industries would not be dedicated to the science.
There's a lot of nuance to it.

However, the real question is, how much does that nuance matter for our purposes? We aren't building dams holding back millions of pounds of hydrostatic pressure designed to last for decades, nor are we building construction cranes designed to lift hundreds of thousands of pounds repeatedly.

However, the real question is, how much does that nuance matter for our purposes? We aren't building dams holding back millions of pounds of hydrostatic pressure designed to last for decades, nor are we building construction cranes designed to lift hundreds of thousands of pounds repeatedly.

Just threading a tube meant to contain high pressure small scale explosions less than a foot away from our faces…

Just threading a tube meant to contain high pressure small scale explosions less than a foot away from our faces…

Certainly. 65,000 psi is no joke.

But how much in our scenario does the correct lubricant matter? Is your rifle dangerously close to exploding if you use a copper based anti-seize instead of nickel?

For our purposes, thread lubricants don't have that big of an impact on the structural integrity of our systems. If I'm wrong on this, I would love to know.

Not to mention torque values effect how a gun shoots in most platforms. There is a reason entities like the AMU have very specific testing protocols to figure out what values produce the smallest groups. For most of us, as long as we use the same value every time, it won't matter. Adding a liquid substance changes those values.

We aren't talking about stuctural integrity, we are talking about precision. We are talking about preventing threads and action from galling. These things matter and you are right there is alot of nuance to it. Luckly most of the science has been fleshed out and we know to A. use an antisieze and B use a torque wrench to the same value every time.

We aren't talking about stuctural integrity, we are talking about precision. We are talking about preventing threads and action from galling. These things matter and you are right there is alot of nuance to it. Luckly most of the science has been fleshed out and we know to A. use an antisieze and B use a torque wrench to the same value every time.

I agree 100%.

Any time I open a can of Anti-seize that shit ends up everywhere, even after a shower it will end up in the bed sheets. Ha!
I think I’ll go with the grease option.
One of the shops I worked in had a girl mechanic that I worked next to. She was a decent tech and pretty organized but when she had a big job to do she was a fucking mess. One day she was replacing a few exhaust pipes and putting anti-seize on all the hardware, as you should do. She was standing at her toolbox after the job was finished and she was fucking covered with anti-seize. All over her face, fingers to elbows, I’m sure she found a way to get it on her ass. It was hilarious

One of the shops I worked in had a girl mechanic that I worked next to. She was a decent tech and pretty organized but when she had a big job to do she was a fucking mess. One day she was replacing a few exhaust pipes and putting anti-seize on all the hardware, as you should do. She was standing at her toolbox after the job was finished and she was fucking covered with anti-seize. All over her face, fingers to elbows, I’m sure she found a way to get it on her ass. It was hilarious
Shits a disease.

Reactions: The D
Shits a disease.
It’s also fucking hilarious if you can come out on top of an anti-seize war. That’s why I said it’s a love/hate relationship

Reactions: Hondo1
I have yet to lube an AI barrel... And I do a shit ton of barrel swaps......

Reactions: kthomas
This:

TW25B Light Grease. They make a heavy load one as well MC1210 (haven't used it myself).

I've been using this for at least a decade. It penetrates into the metal, eventually leaving a dry film. Used by the USAF for their Gatling guns, Special Forces, US Army, and throughout 20 allied countries world wide. Made in the USA of course. Suitable for extreme pressure. Was pleasantly surprised when I saw Gavin Toobe on YouTube using it on a tenon before torquing it onto the action.

i-sfZ22Mr-M.jpg

Their website with a lot of info on who uses it. I also use their light oil for bores and small moving parts - MC2500.

https://mil-comm.com/

Last edited:
Reactions: kthomas
I thought AeroShell 33MS or AeroShell 64 was the “right stuff”

Last edited:
Today was my first time installing a prefit as well. I stopped by Napa and got a .5 oz tube of nickle anti seize for like $4. Of course my barrel vise was delayed so I had to get creative to make it to 75 ft/lbs. picked up some lacrosse grip tape from Walmart and threw it in the soft jaws with a strap wrench for backup.
B85281C3-B4C8-4753-AFC9-229DC903FD1F.jpeg