• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing installing badger m5 in mcmillan qustion

loucksc3

Private
Minuteman
Oct 21, 2010
Pa
hi guys, i just recently sold a few guns and ended up investing it all back in to one gun lol, any ways i ordered a new rem 700 5r 300 win mag and ended up ordering a mcmillan a5 non adjustable along with it. i ordered the stock from 3gss.com and it comes already inletted for the badger m5, my question is am i going to be able to install this by myself or is there gunsmithing required? the badger comes with bedding pillars, are these hard to install? im pretty compinit in doing things myself but i dont wanna get in over my head if you know what i mean.

Re: installing badger m5 in mcmillan qustion

If the stock is cut to the right depth the job is easy.
If not, the job is a little more difficult and is best done with a mill. The pillars are to ensure the proper spacing between the reciever and bottom metal for proper feeding.

I generaly drill the action screw holes oversized to fit the pillar. Then bed the action and glue the pillars in at the same time

Re: installing badger m5 in mcmillan qustion

If you understand the proper relationships between stock and action, you will understand how to properly pose the pillars. I personally would epoxy bed and mount pillars at same time making sure not to over clamp the action to the stock kinda bulding a tape dam to support barrel. Also, it is critical not to allow the action screws to contact pillar id so boring the pillars would be necessary as well. A knee mill would help a ton. Keep in mind that every action/bbl and lug has a different footprint so never assume they will all just bolt into the same bedding job on a random stock. I thikn there is a sticky'd thread about this elsewhere.