• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Installing McMillan stock - need advise

isakhnov

Private
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2008
I'm replacing original B&C stock on my 700 XCR with McMillan and the rear mounting screw is way too long. Should I simply cut it to length or find the matching screw somewhere? As a side note, the screw that came with Badger BDM is even longer.

Re: Installing McMillan stock - need advise

Trim the screws to fit. I usually just use 1/4-28 cap screws from my local Ace. Make sure the front screw allows bolt to open/close when its torqued.

MAybe I should have specified that they never fit perfectly from the hardware store-I buy long and trim.
Most folks that supply screws with bottom metal or stocks that will be bedded supply them a little long adn trimming can be expected.

Either way you will have to trim, having the option to get em local is just a plus for when you screw up and cut it too short.

I came across that problem, the way I fixed it was bedding the receiver and the bottom metal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: isakhnov</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm replacing original B&C stock on my 700 XCR with McMillan and the rear mounting screw is way too long. Should I simply cut it to length or find the matching screw somewhere? As a side note, the screw that came with Badger BDM is even longer. </div></div>

Are you using the pillars that came with the Badger-that's VERY important (or at least having the same spacing as the pillars provide) for the proper functioning of the DBM.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lazy21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I came across that problem, the way I fixed it was bedding the receiver and the bottom metal. </div></div>
I usually do the permanent modifications to the cheapest part first, but that's just me
wink.gif

McMillan has bdm inlet and pillars installed from the start, is there a problem keeping them?

Will trim the screw tomorrow and hopefully off shooting next week.

If the stock is inletted for the Badger M5 then you should be good to go. Personally I would measure the installed pillars to be sure they are the right length for the Badger (Badger has specs on their site) just to be sure.
If you are going to bed the stock, be sure tomaintain the proper distance while bedding for proper feeding, then trim the screws after the bedding is done.

If you aren't going to bed, check the length then trim, torque and shoot.