• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Interest in 40x repeater conversion still.

beenjammin

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
I have been talking with a machinist buddy of mine and have worked out an idea to modify my 40xb into a repeater using an AICS or bottom metal that uses AICS mags. We have decided to make a prototype, but depending on interest may send the design to have it CNCed.

Obviously it will involve removing material from your 40x receiver which many will not want to do.

I just wanted to introduce the idea to you guys and see what kind of response I got to show him. I will be sure and take detailed pics of mine as this project pans out.

Re: Interest in 40x repeater conversion still.

I think this is a good idea, one thing to keep in mind is that you need to spend some brain time initially working up the drawings and making sure the fit/finish is not going to take many hours of hand fitting and hand labor. For a reasonably priced conversion you will make back your initial investment in thought time by the truckload when you can do them quickly because the majority of bugs were worked out ahead of time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think this is a good idea, one thing to keep in mind is that you need to spend some brain time initially working up the drawings and making sure the fit/finish is not going to take many hours of hand fitting and hand labor. For a reasonably priced conversion you will make back your initial investment in thought time by the truckload when you can do them quickly because the majority of bugs were worked out ahead of time. </div></div>

I appreciate the info bohem. It will be done correctly. I have a 4 yr degree in mechanical engineering and 5 yrs industrial experience before i decided to go back into the healthcare field.

I just wanted a feel for interest in this. With all the sako quad builds and with Skunksworks making a nice trainer soon to be released, it might not be worth the time and money. Afterall, its not like remington is rolling out the 40x rifles any longer and the ones that are out there, the owner might want to keep in their original configuration. As far as fit and finish. The shop I a talking with has an FFL so the buyer would ship their barrel receiver off to be cut, while it is there, fit/ finish and testing will be performed before they are shipped back.

I'm not interested in a trainer, but would be if something less expensive that AICS set up could be used. I have 2 barreled receivers that I don't care to keep original.
'Borg

Got a spare 40x that I would love to make a repeater if the someone can do the impossible. That is make it good, cheap (relatively) and fast (less than 8 weeks turnaround).

I'm definitely interested. There's another thread about this I'm going to go bump :)

I have 2 40XB's, and would turn one into a repeater in a heartbeat.
smile.gif

Onyx

As soon as my 40x in the AICs get back to my ffl. Im taking it over to the machine shop. We will see what happens to mine, then Ill post many many pics of what we have.

Bascally what we came up with was this: He made a block that is basically an AICs mag solid blank with a feed ramp for single feeding. I talked with him about hollowing out the center just big enough to fit a .22lr 10 rnd mag. the one i had on hand was a sako finnfire mag since it is short and straight. My finnfire's mag release is on the bottom, so we re going to clone the bottom mag relase in to the AICS block. We will also use the 40x's feed ramp as a template to machine a similar feed ramp into the AICS block. All the is left is alignment and height adjustment. He mentioned it might even be possible without cutting the 40x bolt. So basically thats the idea.

Obviously a sako mag is not ideal, but this is just a test run to see if it works. His single feed AICS mag works in all bottom metal that uses AICS mags.

Out of curiosity are the .22LR 40X actions different from ant other 700 short action or is it the bolt that is different?

I'd buy a 40X if this can be done so yes, I'm interested.

OK so they are different in many ways. Anybody care to expand on this?

Not detracting from what Beenjammin has in the works and perhaps he and his machinist friend may be interested in my reason for asking.

About the only receiver parts that are interchangeable are triggers, trigger pins and recoil lug, everything else is different.... receiver, bolt, bolt stop, etc.

Most scope mounts won't even fit properly without bedding (depending on year made).

There is a prior post on the site that describes in detail with photos how to fit a 40x into the AI stock,

I've got three 40x's. One is a barreled action that's just sitting in my safe. I'd be real interested. I also have a couple of friends that have four between the two of them and I know they would be interested also.

I'm interested... my XB is already in an AICS so utilizing that platform definately caught my attention.

aside from gun broker - where should a person look for decent deal on a rf 40x action?

The CMP still has stripped barreled recievers for $350.00 When they say a stripped reciever they mean stripped, no bolt,loading ramp no nothing. Bolts can be had from PTG and the other parts can be found fairly easy. Just a heads up.

http://www.thecmp.org/22targetsurplus.htm

Scroll down to the bottom of the page. Better than tearing apart a $700.00 rifle for the action.

The CMP is getting VERY close to putting up 900 or so 40X rifles for sale. They mentioned in their forum the sale would take place this year....hopefully it will be soon and the prices haven't been adjusted too high. Get the paperwork in so you are ready to order when they post them for sale.....they will go fast as the CMP has posted they don't really expect any more coming in, in any quantity in the future.

I have a barreled receiver I will send today to anyone who can do this for me.

Keep us updated if you hear anything.

Regards,
DT

I would say "waiting with bated breath." But after so many years for that, my mouth is too dry...

Sheldon Where did you get the Information CMP will be releasing more 40x Rifles and will they be complete rifles?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: killahog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sheldon Where did you get the Information CMP will be releasing more 40x Rifles and will they be complete rifles? </div></div>

All over and done with! Happened in June. All were sold before they were really available do to a posting error by CMP. There were only a few hundred complete rifles and remaining were scavenged for parts and listed as 'barreled recievers only'. All that is left is some USMC marked barreled recievers(no bolt,trigger and other small parts).

I'd potentially be interested in this mod. Will keep watching the thread for news.

Just thought I'd bump this up!!! I'm interested as well.