• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Interesting article on Ruger's new 10/22 Take Down

Re: Interesting article on Ruger's new 10/22 Take Down

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nobbie333actual</div><div class="ubbcode-body">is it worth the money?</div></div>

To me it will be. Thread it and go!
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nobbie333actual</div><div class="ubbcode-body">is it worth the money? </div></div>

Only if you get a good & accurate factory 10/22 barrel from Ruger . You are married to that 10/22 barrel with that QD set-up .

When buying a new Ruger 10/22 . Throwing everything into the trash can except the Receiver & Bolt . Is half the fun of buying it .

I throw the bolt away as well.

I hear you on that . If I wanted a break-down .22 . I would just buy a Marlin Papoose . Cheaper & probably same accuracy or better .

Anything Ruger in a 10/22 is cheap shit . & I can not see adding another equation to the problem by the QD/bread-down design . & charging more money .
It's still just a Ruger 10/22 . '@ minimum' , You buy one. keep the Receiver & Bolt & throw the rest in the trash can . & build a better, more reliable & accurate 10/22 with after market parts .
Same with buying a Ruger mini-14 . WTF & Why ? . just go buy a chiCom AK & save money with same shooting results.

I just rebuild my 30yo. 10/22 and gave it to my son so he can shoot gofers(golfers) this year. So simple, reliable, and easy to customize..............u got to give them some credit?

My question is if it will really return to POI after takedown

My own 10\22 consists of replacement upgrades except for the receiver and bolt, but, I see the utility of this take down version.

The reviews I have read are good as far as return to zero, you can travel easily with it on an ATV, it is stainless so it is good for a boat, it comes with a nice case that would easily cost $40+, and the price really isn't that bad.

I saw two sell on another forum for $318 each, and there are two on GB right now for $325 "Buy It Now". Seems like +/- $320 is where this will settle after the novelty wears off.

And the good part about living in America is if you don't like it or want it, there are other options for you. I wouldn't want it for retail but I think for $325 it is "worth it".

http://gunblast.com/Ruger-1022TD.htm

Got mine from Turners for $299 here in CA. Hot item, I was the third guy in line to do the paperwork at the store on Wednesday for the Takedown. At this point, people on the calguns forum are having some challenges finding them at their local Turners.

I am assuming it has the norm Ruger Lawyer trigger out of box? I didn't see anything mentioned about trigger assembly and pound/pull....$40 Volq hammer and all is well

Just know that it will need a trigger job.

I find almost everything I have ever bought needs at least a little trigger work. I even worked the trigger of my BAR although there isn't a lot u can do>

It reminds me of the first .22 Ihad learnt to shoot with a Marlin Model 70 Papose if I remember correctly.

If the writer wasn't fudging it looks like it shot well at 50 yards, especially for a take down. I would love to see a threaded model I could take backpacking for a silent camp/survival rifle.

I would love to see Tactical Solutions make a 16" takedown barrel with a threaded end for this rifle.

I goy one yesterday. It's great. Accurate. I love TD's anyway. I put a 4x w/ QD rings on it . All fits nicely w/ mags in the pack it comes in. Takin' it to E. OR on Thurs. Just like people used to say that a semi was inaccurate, the superiority of threaded barrel to receiver is a myth.

Would really like to have one, and probably within a year there will be all kinds of aftermarket upgrades for it.

Just bought one. 315 here.. Seems like a good little gun.. ill let you know if it return to POI once it has been taken down several times and reassembled...

I just ordered one from a member of the ruger forum for $319 shipped. He has already sold quite a few and seems to have the conection to get more.

I see this as a mission specific rifle that I won't need to change much out. I can live with the stock and barrel. Triggers and mag releases are easy upgrades. The stock on the barrel is a big improvemnt over the Marlin, IMO.

This pack gun will go in my wife's truck for the hunt training she does with her retrievers. It will take care of the turtles that occasionally want to fight the dogs for a duck as well as the odd gator that occasionsly shows up in the ponds.

I am going to put a Nikon Prostaff 4X on it that will be about 50$ after the rimfire rebate. The best part is she will think I'm buying it for her.

And for $319 shipped it is worth it to me.

I will be picking mine up on Tuesday, got it for 299.00. Not sure which scope I will be putting on it but pretty sure it will be something simple.
I hope that Tactical solutions or somebody will make some lightweight threaded barrels for it.
This rifle has some real possibilties to made into a ubercool lightweight little fun gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SHWILL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just know that it will need a trigger job. </div></div>I hear you there! I added another 10/22 to my colection a few months ago, but the new polymer trigger group blows big time. My other 10/22's have the metal trigger group and they stay together when cleaning them. I am thinking about ordering the Timney trigger group for the new 10/22 with the polymer.

My take down is a NC22 upper on an AR lower. Pull the takedown pins and you're done. No POI change. No issues. Yes, price is higher than 10/22 but by the time you make the 10/22 shoot as well it will cost the same.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stacyp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My take down is a NC22 upper on an AR lower. </div></div>

Real good info in a 10\22 thread.

For those concerned about return to zero there is s good description in this gunsamerica blog. It also looks like the factory barrel can shoot too:
http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/ruger-1022-td-takedown-model-new-gun-review/

The info:
What most interested me was determining if the scope returned to zero each time the gun was taken down and reassembled. Takedowns are known for sketchy performance at best in this area. These test targets you see here that have five bullseyes each were pretty consistent results accross several brands of .22LR ammo. I broke the gun down between each string of five shots. The scope returned to the same zero every time, even after being taken down and reassembled fourteen times. This was informal shooting, using the included Ruger backpack as a rest (I’d forget my head sometimes if it wasn’t attached) and the winds were 5 mph gusting to 15.

The secret to getting a return to zero without a first shot flier after reassembly is to dry cycle the bolt two or three times. Pulling the bolt all the way to the rear and releasing it so that it flies forward into battery several times creates enough vibration to ensure that the barrel is properly seated. With guns you should always read the manual first, and this tip is actually in the manual.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longguntoter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SHWILL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just know that it will need a trigger job. </div></div>I hear you there! I added another 10/22 to my colection a few months ago, but the new polymer trigger group blows big time. My other 10/22's have the metal trigger group and they stay together when cleaning them. I am thinking about ordering the Timney trigger group for the new 10/22 with the polymer. </div></div>
Yeah the new trigger system is extremely annoying, the moment you take the assembly out the crap take down pins are already falling out. I replaced the factory hammer immediately when I got my current 10/22 but after the first take down I really wish I had put that $40 towards an entire new assembly...oh well

My local shop called me today and they have one for me. I can't pick it up until Saturday, $300 + tax. I already ordered a Nikon 4X32 Prostaff for it.

Just looked one over in the gunshop here.

Looks like the receiver is machined differently at the barrel tenon. I don't think you will be able to convert the receiver to non-takedown at a later point.

My only reservation is that you can't use any of the million and a half aftermarket barrels out there.

Otherwise it looks pretty cool. The collar/detent system looks pretty trick. Wish I had the spare change to pick one up and play with it.

I picked mine up today; $326 out the door. This is a really solid little .22 LR. The locking mechanism is very stout. My complaints are that it does not have any studs or swivels for a sling and it barely fits in the case with the Nikon 4X32 Prostaff I mounted. I'll figure out a way to put stud mounts for a sling (also a bipod) on it and even though it is tight, it fits in the case with the Nikon scope.

I'm going with my wife to "the country" tomorrow for some retriever training with her hunt dogs and I will sure find some time to shoot the Ruger TD 10\22.

Krylon camo (actually Rustoleum) will be next, after I change the rings. These are Warne Maxima mediums for my CZ, but the Ruger needs the Warne low rings (ordered today from eabco.com for $27 which is the best price I have found for Warne 1" rings).

IMAG0296.jpg

I missed buying one for $309 the other day as I wanted to go back home and check reviews on it. Now for some reason I can't seem to find one in stock that someone doesn't want a fortune for. Oh well back to calling the gun shops around.

Picked mine up last week, and so far I'm really pleased with it. I put an older 3X9 scope on it just to shoot it a few times at about 80 yards off the back porch .
As soon as we get a decent day around here thats not real windy, and I will get it on paper and do some accuracy testing with several different brands of ammo.
The biggest thing I'm going to do is change the scope out to a compact 2X7 or 3X9 with a overall length of no more than 10-10.5 inches long, just don't know what brand yet.

I shot mine yesterday and it was reliable with Federal bulk pack and PMC Moderators. I didn't really get a chance to get it zeroed at 50, that will have to wailt until next week.

Here are some photos of the bag with my Nikon 4X32. It looks like an optic that extends 2" past the stock is about the limit.

IMAG0302-1.jpg

IMAG0303.jpg

IMAG0300.jpg

IMAG0301.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ltfirehunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thats why I'm going to and find a descent compact scope and a set of QD rings.
</div></div>

The scope I mounted fits but would be the longest scope that could be mounted and still fit in the bag. If it extends 2" or less past the end of the stock it will work. You don't have to get a "short" scope unless you want to.

Glad to read mostly positive reviews, please keep them coming. Am debating on waiting on getting this to see if there are any major quirks w/ it. But have to admit, I totally want one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PMain</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Glad to read mostly positive reviews, please keep them coming. Am debating on waiting on getting this to see if there are any major quirks w/ it. But have to admit, I totally want one. </div></div>

I only have about 100 rounds through mine but I don't forsee any "quirks" that would have made me wait. It handled Federal bulk pack and PMC Moderators just fine.