• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Interesting concept, chamber stub-guage

Re: Interesting concept, chamber stub-guage

I have one made for every rifle I have built. LOVE that thing.

Pretty kool. It wouldn't take long at all to make one with the piece of barrel you cut off the front of the blank. Or with another piece if there wasn't enough left of the original barrel.

Think I'll be making one of these for our 308win Tac Match reamer very soon. Maybe a 50BMG later this year too
smile.gif

I'm intrigued by it. Looks so very handy. May have to have one for my next barrel.

Reactions: CoryT

I been doing that for years.
I thought everyone used the scrap piece off the front of the barrel to make gauges with.
No need for the viewing port.
It just makes the gauge inconsistent.
You need the bullet touching the throat more than 180 degrees to acurately determine seating depth.

I've got one for my custom rifle and won't have another barrel built without one. Invaluable for reloading.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2156SMK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I been doing that for years.
I thought everyone used the scrap piece off the front of the barrel to make gauges with.
You need the bullet touching the throat more than 180 degrees to acurately determine seating depth.</div></div>

Can you explain why more than 180degrees is needed to determine seating depth? It is because your looking to jam it in the rifling and you need full chamber support to do it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Norcal Phoenix</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2156SMK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I been doing that for years.
You need the bullet touching the throat more than 180 degrees to acurately determine seating depth.</div></div>

Can you explain why more than 180degrees is needed to determine seating depth? It is because your looking to jam it in the rifling and you need full chamber support to do it? </div></div>

that is exactly why. if you have 180* or more of opening, you will most likely get a false sense of when the bullet makes contact with the lands. with the bullet not being supported in the throat, it will have a tendency to ramp/deflect toward the opening as it makes contact with the lands and continue to push out until something bottoms out such as the case neck (which is far looser in the chamber than the bullet is in the throat). with full diameter support, when it makes contact, it makes contact and stops.

Nice thing is to have it cut with your barrel with the same reamer as opposed to buying a commercially sold gauge, eliminates more variables that way.

also great to check fit of neck turned brass on a tight neck chambers

yep they are very helpful when working up loads to find seating depth with different bullets

I like this instead of “guessing “ and getting the load right through trial and error. This should take care of one variable for hand loading accurate ammunition.