• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Interesting read on the loss of insects and the consequences.

Maggot

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood"
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 27, 2007
    Virginia
    On a serious note, the loss of insects is alarming. I remember as a kid looking out across the pastures and it was like a light show from the fireflies. Now, one here and there. I read that the firefly loss is loagely doe to light pollution. Same with honey bees, they're dyeing off.

From flickering fireflies to lowly dung beetles, insects ... - Reuters​

https://www.reuters.com › business › environment › flicke...

9 hours ago — From flickering fireflies to lowly dung beetles, insects are vanishing · A WORLD OF DANGERS. The demise of insects can't be attributed to any ...

• Sad
    Reactions: MJF, Ichi and BLEE
    On a serious note, the loss of insects is alarming. I remember as a kid looking out across the pastures and it was like a light show from the fireflies. Now, one here and there. I read that the firefly loss is loagely doe to light pollution. Same with honey bees, they're dyeing off.

From flickering fireflies to lowly dung beetles, insects ... - Reuters

https://www.reuters.com › business › environment › flicke...

9 hours ago — From flickering fireflies to lowly dung beetles, insects are vanishing · A WORLD OF DANGERS. The demise of insects can't be attributed to any ...

The bee thing is true. It's very weird but entire colonies dying off or disappearing is a thing.

The bee thing is true. It's very weird but entire colonies dying off or disappearing is a thing.
    bee issue is the insecticides over the past 20 years...last i read

apparnetly the new ones are like designer chems, much stronger and longer lasting, less temperature and moisture sensitive, less harmful to humans

so effective that its like the romans and carthage for pollenating bees

something along those lines

between pollution and paving over our planet, not good for the plants, insects and animals, losing their habitats.

Reactions: UKDslayer
    I have pasture behind the house, and in the summer, it's remarkable how many fireflies out out there, it's a pretty cool sight to see. I don't spray for dandelions in the spring, I let them flourish, probly to the significant irritation of my neighbors, the honeybees need 'em, and I know we need the honeybees. I used a powder on my tomatoes to keep the caterpillars off 'em, but next year I need to spray something natural to keep the damn japanese beetles off my apple trees, and other crops in the garden. I understand that everything in the ecosystem works together, like many parts of a very complicated machine. I would say that surely we can find a solution that allows farmers to get the greater yields, without harming the bugs we need, but that probly isn't as profitable, and a society that's so profit driven, we're likely to fuck ourselves out of existence, but do it profitably. I don't know the solution, I don't understand the chemistry behind insecticides. I think bug populations ebb and flow like the weather. Examining a local area for bug population fluctuation doesn't necessarily equate a global problem, at least in my opinion.

Branden

Reactions: Rthur and BCP
    I have pasture behind the house, and in the summer, it's remarkable how many fireflies out out there, it's a pretty cool sight to see. I don't spray for dandelions in the spring, I let them flourish, probly to the significant irritation of my neighbors, the honeybees need 'em, and I know we need the honeybees. I used a powder on my tomatoes to keep the caterpillars off 'em, but next year I need to spray something natural to keep the damn japanese beetles off my apple trees, and other crops in the garden. I understand that everything in the ecosystem works together, like many parts of a very complicated machine. I would say that surely we can find a solution that allows farmers to get the greater yields, without harming the bugs we need, but that probly isn't as profitable, and a society that's so profit driven, we're likely to fuck ourselves out of existence, but do it profitably. I don't know the solution, I don't understand the chemistry behind insecticides. I think bug populations ebb and flow like the weather. Examining a local area for bug population fluctuation doesn't necessarily equate a global problem, at least in my opinion.

Branden
    Agreed.
    I'd call it the ozone debacle.
    Choose a target that is nigh impossible for average folks to verify.
    IE polar bears, egg shell thickness ect ect.
    Make drastic claims.
    Support with localized findings.
    Tax dollars evaporate into another bottomless pit.

R

Branden
    Wild turkeys or guinea fowl do an amazing job on Japanese Beetles.

Though my solution is to buy those bag traps with the Pheromone baits... And throw away the bags, crush up the baits (or chop them up because some are cardboard), and sprinkle the bits about a half-mile upwind from my property. So the bugs go infest my neighbors yards! It's helped a lot! All the bag traps do is call in more japanese beetles.

But using the pheromones to draw them away, works like a charm!

And 'ladybugs' up here eat all the aphids. I love those little red beetles! Even if they do come in the house when it gets cold. Ladybugs are an amazing predator.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Agreed.
    I'd call it the ozone debacle.
    Choose a target that is nigh impossible for average folks to verify.
    IE polar bears, egg shell thickness ect ect.
    Make drastic claims.
    Support with localized findings.
    Tax dollars evaporate into another bottomless pit.

R
    About 25 years ago I would sit and watch various birds take ash baths in old areas that I would have a fire pit.
    Then...
    I was suckered into thinking I needed a new contraption that the home Depot sold which was a mosquito fogger.

Worst thing I did to the property. Thankfully it was temporary, but the damage did last for a couple years. I fogged for mosquitos that whole summer till my pea brain said, hey, where's my birds at???

I didn't only kill some sqeeters, I killed every damn bug but the palmetto bugs.
    I ran the birds off, they had nothing to eat.
    Do you want to help w mosquitos, keep your damn lights off. The chemicals are foolish to use

About 25 years ago I would sit and watch various birds take ash baths in old areas that I would have a fire pit.
    Then...
    I was suckered into thinking I needed a new contraption that the home Depot sold which was a mosquito fogger.

Worst thing I did to the property. Thankfully it was temporary, but the damage did last for a couple years. I fogged for mosquitos that whole summer till my pea brain said, hey, where's my birds at???

I didn't only kill some sqeeters, I killed every damn bug but the palmetto bugs.
    I ran the birds off, they had nothing to eat.
    Do you want to help w mosquitos, keep your damn lights off. The chemicals are foolish to use
    I live in what is most likely spayed as much area as anywhere, commercially.
    I figure by the above implications they are referencing industrial operations around the globe.
    We aren't short on anything, bug wise, that we were before the round up domination in crop treatment.
    Good and bad insects abound.
    Maybe the variants around here are more resistant, can't say.
    Japanese beetles are the only full blown pest, introduced last century on the east coast.

R

Branden
    This stuff works pretty well and is low toxicity. comes in a dust of liquid.

1670359441525.png

Or Diatomaceous earth is totally non toxic.

1670359540078.png

This stuff works pretty well and is low toxicity. comes in a dust of liquid.

View attachment 8015351

Or Diatomaceous earth is totally non toxic.

View attachment 8015352
    Seven is what I used on my tomatoes. We didn't have any caterpillar issues all season, and the japanese beetles weren't interested in the plants either. I should have used a liquid of some sort to keep squash beetles away from my pumpkins. If you ever plan pumpkins, they need space....a LOT of space. We had a few tomatoes here and there that had something burrow into 'em, but we had 8 plants of tomatoes, that were planted too close, and I let 'em branch out, and we had boatloads of fruit to give away, and consume.

Branden

Reactions: Snipe260
    DE works great for crawling bugs and is rather innocuous as it doesn't leave toxicity behind like chemical based products.

We use Captain Jack's Dead Bug and it's great for garden pests. Comes in liquid or powder.

Reactions: Maggot
    Herbicides have killed off the bobwhite quail population. At least that’s one of the major things

Some buy electric cars to help the situation, others do their part to actually help

Attachments

• 9AEC9861-23A8-436D-BB85-F57515E17E82.jpeg
      9AEC9861-23A8-436D-BB85-F57515E17E82.jpeg
      563.2 KB · Views: 17
    • C527CF74-D54D-4278-A837-E084B2415D75.jpeg
      C527CF74-D54D-4278-A837-E084B2415D75.jpeg
      707.6 KB · Views: 17
    • E0F91B59-76F9-4CFB-9A32-A5847B330D5C.jpeg
      E0F91B59-76F9-4CFB-9A32-A5847B330D5C.jpeg
      889.5 KB · Views: 17
    People kill the native "weeds" and bugs, spraying insecticides and herbicides in an attempt to out Jones each other to have the best lawn in the hood. It's a status thing to many.

Lots of factors....

I have a very large yard, about half is heavily wooded, about 1/8 is grass and the rest I just let go native "pasture". It's crazy, the parts I let go native lots of weeds, but thing is a vast majority of those weeds flower and bees, birds etc love the shit out of it. Something is always blooming all year long. I mulch it all up one a year once it all dies off and burn the thicker shit. Then just let it go again. Only thing I do is pull the poison ivy/oak and the wild thorns.

"We" really need to evaluate what's important imo. That would "bee" a good start.

As for lighting bugs, no shortage of them here. Bees are noticeably more scarce over the years EXCEPT bumblebees, they hardy sons of bitches out early season and out late season. Seeing that first bumblebee of the spring is awesome after long cold ass winter.

Branden
    The solution is to make decisions to make profits over longer terms. Like a 20-50 year plan. The problem is share holders want profits this quarter. Corporate America can’t see past next month. It’s a fucked mentality that the next generation pays the price for.

99+% of all the species that ever existed are extinct. It's only recently that we've understood that. Yet we still have apoplexy when a species faces extinction. Yes, one day it will be us on the chopping block.
    Quit worrying about things that are out of your control and live your life.

Reactions: OldSalty2
    Some buy electric cars to help the situation, others do their part to actually help
    I've got a great spot at the back of my yard that would be great for some bee houses, or whatever they're called, but i'm not interested in maintaining 'em. If someone local wanted to maintain them, I would cover the cost to move 'em in. I just haven't explored beyond the idea of "this would be a great spot to keep a couple colonies.

Branden

Sad when virtue signaling is preferable to actually making a difference.
    Leftys fly their private jets or sail their mega-yachts to exotic locales to protest the evils of CO2 , when a Zoom meeting could accomplish the same goal with lower carbon emissions.
    You can't be a lefty w/o being a hypocrite.

Sad when virtue signaling is preferable to actually making a difference.
    Leftys fly their private jets or sail their mega-yachts to exotic locales to protest the evils of CO2 , when a Zoom meeting could accomplish the same goal with lower carbon emissions.
    You can't be a lefty w/o being a hypocrite.

Yeah, many hunters and shooters who tend to be more "right" have long understood and practiced conservation. Knowing that harvesting is good when done correctly and helps maintain a good/healthy population for future generations.

Not to mention the state level funding various licenses and permits put back into the conservation effort.

Whenever a EV discussion starts with "environment" in the first 10 words I just check-out lol...maybe someday it will be the case but it ain't right now. Nuclear would definitely speed things up...

I want to say...

be honest and say you got it because it's cool or hip or rad, etc, whatever terms are in right now. Or, that you just wanted one...who cares,..the slave labor being used to mine the materials?...they don't give a shit about yalls God complex I assure you.

Yeah, many hunters and shooters who tend to be more "right" have long understood and practiced conservation. Knowing that harvesting is good when done correctly and helps maintain a good/healthy population for future generations.

Not to mention the state level funding various licenses and permits put back into the conservation effort.

Whenever a EV discussion starts with "environment" in the first 10 words I just check-out lol...maybe someday it will be the case but it ain't right now. Nuclear would definitely speed things up...

I want to say...

be honest and say you got it because it's cool or hip or rad, etc, whatever terms are in right now. Or, that you just wanted one...who cares,..the slave labor being used to mine the materials?...they don't give a shit about yalls God complex I assure you.
    Leftys usually have extremely low self esteem, that's why they're exstatic about belonging to a group. Even if that group is ridiculous enough to say no one w/o a uterus should have an opinion on abortion, while simultaneously saying men can give birth. The US is a racist, homophobic, patriarchal, transphobic, xenophobic hellhole, yet we should have open borders to let more people experience this hellish landscape.
    We should make guns illegal to save the lives of children, yet we should keep abortion legal to allow killing children to avoid the consequences of randomly sleeping around.
    My body my choice is holy writ but I support vaccine mandates and am not leeding a crusade to legalize prostitution and all drugs, b/c if a woman wants to put heroin in her veins or rent her body to strangers, her body her choice.

Been a beekeeper for almost 5 years, also had bees growing up.

Pesticides aren’t the biggest issue killing bees (although I did lose 3 colonies to pesticides this year). Varroa mites are thought to be primarily responsible for colonies collapsing. Reduction in forage is an issue, although in a large city like I live in, my bees find nectar and pollen from native and non native plants in the city. Africanized bees or the threat of them have led to pest control companies killing off hives as they are discovered.

There is a resurgence of beekeeping, especially in urban areas, but varroa mites are colony killers and are a huge threat to any beekeeping. I spend a decent amount of money each year on varroa treatments. It’s become common in beekeeping circles to hear of the sudden loss of hives, a post mortem usually shows varroa infestation.

As far as less bugs- the only bugs I see more of here in Phoenix are mosquitoes. June bugs, butterflies, locusts, lots of other bugs I used to see I don’t anymore, even being close to large areas of undeveloped desert.

Reactions: BurtG and Ichi

Pesticides aren’t the biggest issue killing bees (although I did lose 3 colonies to pesticides this year). Varroa mites are thought to be primarily responsible for colonies collapsing. Reduction in forage is an issue, although in a large city like I live in, my bees find nectar and pollen from native and non native plants in the city. Africanized bees or the threat of them have led to pest control companies killing off hives as they are discovered.

There is a resurgence of beekeeping, especially in urban areas, but varroa mites are colony killers and are a huge threat to any beekeeping. I spend a decent amount of money each year on varroa treatments. It’s become common in beekeeping circles to hear of the sudden loss of hives, a post mortem usually shows varroa infestation.

As far as less bugs- the only bugs I see more of here in Phoenix are mosquitoes. June bugs, butterflies, locusts, lots of other bugs I used to see I don’t anymore, even being close to large areas of undeveloped desert.
    Phx has a lot of mosquitoes for sure. The other bugs run in cycles, as does many things.

I want to start a bee colony, but not sure how well they do in the cold.

Don't let WEF learn about an insect die-off! They'll get the creepy crawlies listed as endangered species. What will we have to eat then? :ROFLMAO:

Then...
    Our neighborhood has lots of mosquitoes and flying bugs with a nearby large creek.
    And lots of complaints. Except for our yard. We put up 2 purple martin houses and we not only get ongoing acrobatics demonstrations but we are virtual flying bug free outside.

Phx has a lot of mosquitoes for sure. The other bugs run in cycles, as does many things.

Bees live in the north. Want to get them fairly local though to have the best chance.

One thing though, is leave them their own honey over the winter. Lots of keepers up here figured out that feeding them sugar water was keeping them alive but not really healthy. Just stop harvesting honey in the late summer and let them stock up for themselves all fall.

Mine do well in the cold. Needs more prep for winter than warmer climates, but not really an issue.

Currently sitting with 12 inches snow on them, about -10C (whatever that is in F) gets down to about -30C here at times. Snow really helps keep the warmth in.

Honey yield is a bit lower per hive, but still averaged about 50 pounds a hive this year.

It seems that varroa is less of an issue in northern, higher, colder climates too, something about the delay in spring before the bees start laying again apparently...

Bees live in the north. Want to get them fairly local though to have the best chance.

One thing though, is leave them their own honey over the winter. Lots of keepers up here figured out that feeding them sugar water was keeping them alive but not really healthy. Just stop harvesting honey in the late summer and let them stock up for themselves all fall.
    If you have a lot of heather in your local area the honey from that is terrible to winter on. Sets like concrete and the bees can't use it. Locally here we want no more than 30% heather per hive for winter. Need really strong colonies to deal with it.

When they talk about disappearing bees. They are talking about native bees being displaced by domestic bees.

Its also funny, the flowers of Pear trees stink. Their main pollinator is flies. You know what else pollinates things. Pretty much every insect on the planet, for those plants that aren't self pollinating or air pollinated anyway. Funny how many fail safes were created in our system.

Reactions: Jgunner and BurtG
    This is true about native bees but, lots of native bees don’t pollinate the crops that we consume, also most native bees don’t exist in numbers sufficient enough to pollinate the crops we grow.

There are several native bees that live in Arizona, many are solitary or have small hive numbers and pollinate things like cacti. But there is truth about native bees disappearing

Same here. Had bees off and on since I was 14. At one point I had 25 hives. That summer was amazing. Huge swaths of sweet clover in all the bar ditches and along the creeks and in the verges. Bees went nuts. I made 100lbs of clear clover per hive and sold it all for a pretty penny. Next year the drought began in January and the mites showed up. I went into winter with 4 hives.

Insect populations are highly dependent on a number of things and most of which, other than maintaining habitat and not spraying indiscriminately, are part of the ebb and flow of things.

When they talk about disappearing bees. They are talking about native bees being displaced by domestic bees.

Its also funny, the flowers of Pear trees stink. Their main pollinator is flies. You know what else pollinates things. Pretty much every insect on the planet, for those plants that aren't self pollinating or air pollinated anyway. Funny how many fail safes were created in our system.

European bees spread across North America in a century. The problem for native bees is the loss of habitat. Not competition.

Reactions: Maggot
    European bees spread across North America in a century. The problem for native bees is the loss of habitat. Not competition.
    According to the Syense its both. I would tend to believe they compete, since any domestic animal uses resources that a wild animal would. I am much less apt to believe there are appreciably less flowers in the world today than 100 years ago. Although there could be with so much grass land being swallowed up by forest since the loss of the buffalo, and introduction of the fence.

According to the Syense its both. I would tend to believe they compete, since any domestic animal uses resources that a wild animal would. I am much less apt to believe there are appreciably less flowers in the world today than 100 years ago. Although there could be with so much grass land being swallowed up by forest since the loss of the buffalo, and introduction of the fence.

Its an interesting argument. The spread of bees coincided with the introduction of fruit trees and other European plants.

And overgrazing and lack of regular fire. Fire really brings out the flowers.

Texas West of Fort Worth from Quanah down to the Valley is becoming an nearly unbroken swath of juniper. Or just bare dirt. I'm pretty confident we'll get a biblical fire one day.

Its an interesting argument. The spread of bees coincided with the introduction of fruit trees and other European plants.

And overgrazing and lack of regular fire. Fire really brings out the flowers.

Texas West of Fort Worth from Quanah down to the Valley is becoming an nearly unbroken swath of juniper. Or just bare dirt. I'm pretty confident we'll get a biblical fire one day.
    Thats a shame. When I owned Red Bluff Creek Ranch, south of Rock Springs, I met an old guy who showed me photos of what the land was like around the turn of the 1880 1890's. Miles of knee high grass with a huge old Live Oak every 100 yds or so. Lots of bubbling little springs.

The the cattlemen came and the cattle grazed the land until they couldnt live on it anymore so they broght in sheep and goats which grazed it until nothing could make a living. Then the prickly pear cactus and cedar came. A big cedar will evaporate 30 gallons of water per day so all the little springs dried up. No the land is near worthless out there so they sell in for hunting spreads.

They've had some success with replanting the native species, the springs will come back, but its expensive.

Thats a shame. When I owned Red Bluff Creek Ranch, south of Rock Springs, I met an old guy who showed me photos of what the land was like around the turn of the 1880 1890's. Miles of knee high grass with a huge old Live Oak every 100 yds or so. Lots of bubbling little springs.

The the cattlemen came and the cattle grazed the land until they couldnt live on it anymore so they broght in sheep and goats which grazed it until nothing could make a living. Then the prickly pear cactus and cedar came. A big cedar will evaporate 30 gallons of water per day so all the little springs dried up. No the land is near worthless out there so they sell in for hunting spreads.

They've had some success with replanting the native species, the springs will come back, but its expensive.

I've watched several video's by Alan Savory. Above his his Ted Talk... but he has quite a few videos.

I can't say everything in his videos is correct... but he is worth listening to if only for ideas that may have some real promise. Some of the testing they have done has yielded some great results.

One of the points he emphasizes is that the large herds that used to roam places ranging from Africa to the American West tilled the soil with their hooves and were part of the balance.

Like I said... I can't say if he is right. But I really enjoyed listening to his theories and think there is something to them... even if its only my opinion.

Sirhr

I've watched several video's by Alan Savory. Above his his Ted Talk... but he has quite a few videos.

I can't say everything in his videos is correct... but he is worth listening to if only for ideas that may have some real promise. Some of the testing they have done has yielded some great results.

One of the points he emphasizes is that the large herds that used to roam places ranging from Africa to the American West tilled the soil with their hooves and were part of the balance.

Like I said... I can't say if he is right. But I really enjoyed listening to his theories and think there is something to them... even if its only my opinion.

Sirhr

I think it was you who just mentioned how turkeys and other birds til the soil, as did the herds. If you've ever been around where a large herd of any 4 legs are you've seen it. Then they gave it nitrogen and urea so it would come back strong. The wind took care of spreading the seed.

I think it was you who just mentioned how turkeys and other birds til the soil, as did the herds. If you've ever been around where a large herd of any 4 legs are you've seen it. Then they gave it nitrogen and urea so it would come back strong. The wind took care of spreading the seed.
    I grew up on a horse farm, remember? 40 horses made my now-manicured pastures look like The Somme 1916, mud and debris-wise.

Cheers!

Sirhr

Commie global warming style bs here. Push it out far enough that you are dead or retired before the result.
    Your one of those that can’t see past right now.

So I have a family friend who sold trees off of his farm in his teens , he then cleared all the stumps and planted row crops. He farmed those fields for 40 years and just recently planted those fields back in trees. He will go years without profits but his kids will inherit land that has been rested and soil that has been treated with respect.

I have also seen families who plant cotton in the same fields year after year for the past century. I’m no soil expert but i can promise that their yield goes down yearly but most likely making up the difference with progress of machinery. How long will this type of mono crop approach last?

What will you leave behind? Hopefully more than an online banking account with a bunch of zeroes.

Last edited:
    • Haha
    Reactions: BurtG

So I have a family friend who sold trees off of his farm in his teens , he then cleared all the stumps and planted row crops. He farmed those fields for 40 years and just recently planted those fields back in trees. He will go years without prophets profits but his kids will inherit land that has been rested and soil that has been treated with respect.

I have also seen families who plant cotton in the same fields year after year for the past century. I’m no soil expert but i can promise that their yield goes down yearly but most likely making up the difference with progress of machinery. How long will this type of mono crop approach last?

What will you leave behind? Hopefully more than an online banking account with a bunch of zeroes.
    I will gladly take that bank account with all those zeros as long as there is a non zero # in front of them.

Reactions: BurtG

So I have a family friend who sold trees off of his farm in his teens , he then cleared all the stumps and planted row crops. He farmed those fields for 40 years and just recently planted those fields back in trees. He will go years without prophets but his kids will inherit land that has been rested and soil that has been treated with respect.

Lol thar guy with all the zeros is buying up the ground.

While all the zeros with false ideas of soil health are having to sell out.

Take ground and dump a pile of manure and sludge on it yearly. Plant timely grow big crops.

You can plant continuous corn or cotton. Or rotate with other crops. There’s dairy’s thar chop corn every year and their yields and soil tests go up.

Make the soil better every year.

Your out of your element.

Of course your smarter than the people out doing while you’re talking.

Resting soil is a joke.