• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Interesting read on the shotgun

Kinda Bullshit if applied to today. It would be suicide to approach a prepared line of soldiers with AR-15's the way General Forest did in the civil war. While the shotgun has its place it is no longer on the front lines of battle.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yasherka
I don't know, the army did test shotgun slugs that would work out to 1000m. What they looked like or what became of the program, all I know is it was cancelled after a few years. But they did have this moment where they did envision soldiers all issued these long range shotguns.

The OICW project was more nuts if you ask me --6.5mm tri-fragmenting bullets (or sabot darts) loaded in long brass magnum cartridges with auto 40mm drum fed grenade launchers below. All in the 60's. That shit looks just as futuristic hanging on the wall now as it did then. My favorite is the see through Winchester OICW.

They didn't have the shotguns at Benning though. The whole shotgun thing was just a flash in the pan.

It still has its place! While the article wasn’t advocating them for front line cavalry charges, it did show that well... they’re still using them. Kinda of says something towards their effectiveness in its own way.

I like shotguns for the versatility. In the olden days if you was a poor farmer and only had one gun, it would’ve been a shotgun. Squirrels, bucks or intruders.

Shells are cheap, everybodies got them, perfect for SHTF

Shotguns have their place, search the Remington 7188, it's not your average bird gun. The flechette rds that were issued an used in std 1897's an 870's were bad news, but in the 7188 it was a game changer real quick for point/ambush or clearing.

A neat read, but long on nostalgia for a weapon type that is 98% obsolete on the battlefield. Not a lot of jungle or trench warfare these days, they're certainly in the Marine Corps' inventory when necessary, but otherwise it's nothing more than a secondary weapon for special purpose breaching and other limited duties. There is little other need for a weapon that has such limited capabilities, even if its capabilities where it excels are so impressive compared to the alternatives.