• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Interesting test of a new airless ATV tire.

macthknife

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2004
clarksville, IN
Polaris is releasing a new airless ATV tire next year, and I read the article about the testing. This caught My attention.

"Engineers shot test tires with 50-caliber rounds from an AK-47 and then subjected them to 5,000 hours of off-roading."

Reporters. No matter what they are reporting on, must be the dumbest creatures on the planet.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013...roof-airless-tires-next-year/?intcmp=features

Setting aside the "50 cal AK" bit, I like the idea of that tire. Sure would be nice to get out in never-never land and not have to worry about flat tires.

Yeah, the tires are a cool darned idea. I saw some stuff about them on some Discovery show a while back. Polaris will make money from this.

I just saw a short video of them, pretty cool. Looks like the "wheel and tire" are a one piece unit, so you won't be able to use your existing rims.

50-cal AK? Probably from Red Jacket. Game changer.

Yeah right... That'll go along with the 12 guage mounted under the AR "that nobody has ever built before". Somebody carried a lot of them in rice paddy's and jungles 40 years ago.

For relatively low speed ATV's, I can see these possibly being ok. I've seen prototypes of these for cars in the past, and can't imagine what it would be like to have mud caked inside the cavities going 70+ mph.

I can see them being fine in a sandy environment. Have fun in any area that will pack those holes with mud, rocks, etc...
The shimmy on an atv would be horrendous if the tires were out of balance because of crap in those wheels.
Cover the outside of them, NOW they have something that I'd be interested in.