• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Interesting test on $25 surplus body armor.

buffalowinter

Freer of the Oppressed
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 17, 2014
    Llano, TX
    First, these are sold out. I saw this Italian Military surplus body armor for sale on Sportsman's Guide for $25. For $25, I bought two sets and thought I'd see what happens, especially since this is surplus and Kevlar is supposed to degrade over time.
    1597354137221.png

This stuff is a little less than 1/4" thick and weighs 3 pounds...really light weight. So I set one up 10yds away and shot it with a Beretta 92 with 115g FMJ ammo. I was pretty impressed, especially for old discolored surplus. I shot 2 rounds, fairly close to each other. Neither round came close to penetrating. It put a small dimple in the face, and bulged the back. I'm going to go back out and shoot it with some .45 acp.

DSCN3578.JPG

DSCN3577.JPG
    DSCN3579.JPG
    DSCN3580.JPG

More tests
    .40 S&W 180g FMJ, 10yds, Para-Ordnance P16. No Penetration
    DSCN3584.JPG

.45acp, 230g FMJ, 10 yds, Springfield TRP Operator, No Penetration.

DSCN3582.JPG

5.56, 77g SMK, 550yds, 20" bbl Ar-15 built by myself, Through like knife through butter.

DSCN3583.JPG

Back side of plate showing 5.56 penetration

DSCN3586.JPG

DSCN3581.JPG

Last edited:
    Reactions: splean and Rthur
    Armor does not go bad

no one wants to be liable for someone being killed.
    so you have an arbitrary expiration date
    (And reoccurring sales to .gov)

Good stuff to add into backpacks and such
    Agreed, it isn't time that kills Kevlar. Soft inserts, exposed to years of daily wear when it's soaked in sweat and moving against itself, that does deteriorate it as the weave loosens and frays from itself. But Kevlar itself is pretty damn impervious. Solid Kevlar sheets, provided it's only been exposed to normal environmental exposures, will last until its attacked. There's a reason it's used in the exterior walls for sensitive site construction.

Reactions: clcustom1911