• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Internal Bubble Anti Cant on Scopes?

Re: Internal Bubble Anti Cant on Scopes?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JBW#3</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bubble is always there, easaly seen by your left eye.
Not protuding, not forgotten at home, not breaken of at last stage........
</div></div>

Internally; Bubble is always there, easily seen by your <span style="text-decoration: underline">scope</span> eye.
Not protuding, not forgotten at home, not breaken of at last stage........
John III </div></div>

wmlc2b.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spuhr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That means you has to like Tasco or SA scopes.....
You have to like MOA adjustments........
Great!!!

Håkan </div></div>

Ya, they both did a good job at an internal cant indicator. They usually worked well even after the scopes failed.
Like MOA? Sometimes, I usually like brunettes though....
John III

LOL Damn USO one step ahead of the game again!!!

suppose S&B and premier reticles will steal this idea as their own like MTC or use it and not give credit to USO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300WSM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LOL Damn USO one step ahead of the game again!!!

suppose S&B and premier reticles will steel this idea as their own like MTC or use it and not give credit to USO. </div></div>

Premier has given plenty of credit, S&B on the other hand......
John III

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300WSM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LOL Damn USO one step ahead of the game again!!!

suppose S&B and premier reticles will steal this idea as their own like MTC or use it and not give credit to USO. </div></div>

That's a pretty bold (and ignorant) claim there fella.
I'm pretty sure its clearly marked in the Premier literature that the feature is USO patent and they are paying the proper royalties.

can't say for sure on PR - so I will back down on that one.

However on S&B there is no mention on the scope or in the owners manaual.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300WSM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">can't say for sure on PR - so I will back down on that one.

However on S&B there is no mention on the scope or in the owners manaual. </div></div>

I believe the original S&B MTC scopes for the USMC were built by Premier under contract and therefore subject to the patent and associated royalties to USO.

As far as their current scopes, maybe you should email S&B and ask them. Its kind of unfair to accuse a company of <span style="font-weight: bold">stealing</span> when you don't really know the facts.

Are you saying USO has the patent on the spirit level? That patent has to be older than the wheel.

I wouldn't think you could ever get a patent on where one was used.

I was thinking of putting a small gyro in my stock and when activated it would self level the rifle with servos connected to the bipod. This might be patent worthy.

The next invention was with the aid of a digital riflescope we would free float the barreled action from the stock and using the stabilization mode in the scope we could get the whole barreled action to lock onto the target and compensate for ballistic and ambient conditions much the same way an Abrams tank targeting system works. Then we could film the shot and using a cell phones data link we could send confirmation to anyone that needed it. Now that one should be worthy of a patent but putting a spirit level on a rifle? I would have to see it to believe it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sickeness</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300WSM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">can't say for sure on PR - so I will back down on that one.

However on S&B there is no mention on the scope or in the owners manaual. </div></div>

I believe the original S&B MTC scopes for the USMC were built by Premier under contract and therefore subject to the patent and associated royalties to USO.

As far as their current scopes, maybe you should email S&B and ask them. Its kind of unfair to accuse a company of <span style="font-weight: bold">stealing</span> when you don't really know the facts. </div></div>

Yes, the MTC knob was made by S&B for the USMC, however, the original idea was submitted to the USMC by U.S. Optics before the SSDS was even out for bid. Also the SSDS contract was submitted by USO with the Milestone knob, unlike the S&B. There is no discrepency of the patent, we submitted for the patent provisions before the down selection was ever made.

"As for the current scopes".....ask S&B what?
John III

Yep, that was pretty embassing of me to not read the thread carefully before posting.
Sorry John....

Wonderfull solution by the way.

Håkan

I have so questions and issues with internal levels.

Basically in a perfect world you have your reticle squared to to the receiver. Most have a level attached to the receiver and this tells you when your rifle is level. Now if your reticle travels in a straight line vertical you're good.

My questions to an internal level center around this:

1. is the internal level squared to the reticle?
2. Is the reticle squared to the scope body ( if you are using Lowlights feeler gauge technique.)
3. Is the scope squared to the receiver.

The way I see it if any of these are off.. you're up the creek.

Additionally... what if your scope take a good whack.. what is securing the internal level to guard against this issue?

I am sure USO will make sure it is aligned with the reticle and travel.

Personally, I don't like to leave it up to everyone else to make sure my setup is correct. That is my job.

I lock the rifle in a vise with a level sitting on the base.....making sure it is level as I secure the rifle. Then I mount the scope and leave the rings loose until I can verify that the reticle is plumb with a corner of the building across the street(previously checked the wall for plumb). Tighten the rings and re-check. Then run the travel up and down to make sure the adjustments are tracking square.

In the case of this new internal level....I would verify it was reading dead-center as my last step in this setup method.

I never cared if the scope body is square to the reticle.....it never mattered to me and I never had a reason to check it.

I hear ya... I just like to have the bases covered.

The way I see it the internal level is a separate part. This part needs to be installed. There is human error involved.

Yes sir, it is ALWAYS possible someone can screw up. My experience with USO QC has been exceptional.

Lindy convinced me, long ago, to check everything for myself no matter who worked on it last.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My questions to an internal level center around this:

1. is the internal level squared to the reticle?
2. Is the reticle squared to the scope body ( if you are using Lowlights feeler gauge technique.)
3. Is the scope squared to the receiver.

The way I see it if any of these are off.. you're up the creek.

Additionally... what if your scope take a good whack.. what is securing the internal level to guard against this issue?
</div></div>

The internal level that we are using is attached to the rear of the erector using screws as well as a bonding agent. These are attached using the same rigorous standards that we use throughout the scope for other internal mechanisms.

Yes, the level is squared with the reticle, which is also squared to the turret and knobs.

Is the scope squared to the receiver? Unless it is mounted here at the shop, I don't have any control over that one.
John III

yup that's what I was after. I had no doubt you figured the correct way to do it.

How much of the FOV is disrupted with this internal bubble level?

I am thinking about 5% on the lower part of the FOV. I have the vial manufacturer making some of the same vials but upside down so I can mount at the top of the FOV.
John III

John;
Is this level limited to certain models...or is it for all models?
If it mounts in the tube then radius is another consideration

I would love to have them added to my SN-3 3.2-17(30mm tube) Ergo and my SN-4 1.5-6(30mm tube).

I do think this is a great idea, and I wish more scope companies would do it.