• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

International applications to the USMC

Mr_Kiff

Private
Minuteman
Sep 14, 2009
QLD, Australia
Hey guys,
I’ve tried to contact the recruiters through the official site, but it doesn’t like my postcode. And you always seem to get better details if you go through back channels anyway. Just wondering if any of you guys know about international applications to the USMC, for example, how long applications take and who is best to talk to.

Any help you can offer is appreciated,

Cheers,
Nate.

Re: International applications to the USMC

Assuming their enlistment eligibility requirements are the same or similar to the Army, it is not going to happen unless you have residency in the States.

Why not join the Aussie version?

There are recruiting setups in differant countries. The Philipines and Mexico are two that I've heard of. Might want to try to get in contact w/ US Embassy. In the US, Green Card holders can enlist and get fast tracked for citizenship. Hope that helps.

The big question is, what's your agenda in joining the US military? The USMC tends to have stricter recruiting standards than the other services because the size of the force is much smaller. If getting fast-tracked to American citizenship is your goal, I know for a fact that both the Army and Navy have programs for people wanting to serve in the military and get citizenship. In fact, I have a number of people within my battalion, mostly Asians, who are going through that program. Contact the US Embassy and see if the program is limited to the larger services or if the USMC falls under that program as well. Good luck.

You have to have an I-551 Permanent Resident Card (Green Card) in order to enlist in the US military, regardless of the branch. There is a lot of confusion on this point since most people (including recruiters) don't understand how the immigration system works in this country. Basically people fall in one of these 3 categories as far as the US government is concerned:

1) Foreign national.
2) Permanent Resident Alien of the US.
3) US Citizen.

Those in category 1 cannot enlist. Those in #2 can, in all MOS not requiring a security clearance. The military can help you go from 2 to 3, but they cannot do anything to help you go from 1 to 2, that is all on your own. In other words if you do not have a Green Card you first will have to find a way to legally immigrate to the United States and become a Permanent Resident.

The only exception to the above rule are linguists fluent in a few key languages (Farsi, Dari, Pushtu etc). Hope this helps!

Only one kind of man or woman enters the Marines. The one who has the desire, motivation, and tenacity to become a Marine no matter what. An individual who will steel themselves for whatever comes their way, and still look hard into the eyes of a USMC Drill Instructor with a look that says,"You will NEVER break me!" and keep it until graduating as a US Marine.
If you think you have what it takes, do what you will to make it happen. That means moving, doing whatever you have to do regardless of personal opinions or wishes.
Good Luck

ps a cat known only as 'Memphis' was one hell of a Aussie Regiment guy I met during OEF I. Why not go with your Regiment of the SAS or your own Marines?

Nate, Alex's response is correct. With that met, it is not difficult at all. I have an Irish friend that flew here as soon as he was approved. Boot camp - infantry school - scout sniper. One of my best radiomen was from Nicaragua. Fairly easy then to upgrade to citizenship with US Marine Corps on your resume. I have known dozens of Marines that have done this. Too bad more people born here don't think like you do.

On another note, if you were born in Kenya the sky is the limit...

Hey guys, thank for the fast replies! Sadly we don’t have marines over here, and I've already spent a tad over 4 years in the aussie air force (I am young and was silly, I am still not sure why I didn’t go to the army to start with!).

I will be finishing my degree within the next year and wanted to move overseas after I am finished. I figured that I enjoy the challenges that the military offers, so I’d try and enlist in something that offers more than the average. What’s life without challenges anyway?

Thanks again for all your help, in the two short days you guys have been more helpful than a month trying with the recruitment website.

Cheers,

Nate.