• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

International travel w/Gun's

coldboremiracle

Freelance Sharpshooter
Minuteman
  • Jul 7, 2009
    Utah, north
    www.coldboremiracle.com
    Being that SH is such a large and international community, I am very curious about how many of you have traveled (as a civilian) overseas with firearms.

I was wondering:

1.how many of you do it and how often?

2.What and how many weapons do you take with you when you go?

3. Where have you been, and do you have any suggestions/resources/contacts that would be helpful.

The reason I am asking is, I have been considering for quite some time a hunting trip to my father in law's estate in southern Chile. I know people do it, I'm just wondering what I'm up against, and if its worth it.

Re: International travel w/Gun's

CB,
    I traveled to South Africa on a hunting trip and to Canada. I traveled with archery equipment but my fellow travelers brought rifles. Each country is different. I would find a Chilean hunt outfitter's web page. There is usually information on importing guns. You can call and talk to a booking agent who arranges hunts in South America. It may be easier to use a local's firearm.

http://www.huntchile.com/faq_files/Faq.htm

Q - Can I bring my own firearms to Chile?

A - Yes, but it is not recommended. We have very good, modern rifles with scopes available for you to use at no charge. Chile is not a well known hunting destination, therefore handling of firearms importation by Chilean officials is not a common practice.

Thanks Scott, great info there. I understand the difficulty that probably will be encountered, and my father in law has guns. But part of the reason I want to take them is to show him, as I'm sure the guns he has are more fit for the vintage rifle forum, as well as show him what can be done with a good rifle. Most of the shooting will be recreational only, probably not alot of "real" hunting, small game,varmints and maybe something else. My father in law is retired Chilean LE, so I'm wondering if he may be able to hasten my case.

He may be able to help you out. Also note some countries do not allow the private ownership of rifles chambered in what is determined to be a military cartridge. An example would be France preventing you from importing a hunting rifle chambered in 30-06.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mtscott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He may be able to help you out. Also note some countries do not allow the private ownership of rifles chambered in what is determined to be a military cartridge. An example would be France preventing you from importing a hunting rifle chambered in 30-06. </div></div>

I'll look into that, but from what I've read about their laws, I dont think they would have silly restrictions such as those.

I was not trying to compare Chile to France. I figured a French law would be blood in the water but it did not draw any sharks.