• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Internet and site problems

Re: Internet and site problems

Not to jump on the pile but I've see the same symptions (freezing for up to 2 mins, timeouts, and text vs HTML). Doesn't seem load specific as I've seen the same performance at 6AM, 2PM, 11PM, or 1AM. Using IE 8, Firefox, and Safari. I've cleared cache and bounced the router a few times just in case and other sites move while this one is hung so the connection is fine. Started for me on Friday. All was golden before Friday on all three platforms.

I emailed them with what you posted and all your IP addresses so they can trace it.

Interestingly you're all from AZ, so I think it is an ISP thing. What happens is they update stuff and then takes them a certain amount of time to flush it, at least I know that was a Comcast issue for some people, so we'll see what they say ?

But the ticket is in... dates and times help because they can check the logs and reconcile the data better.

Understand. I run a data center so I understand troubleshooting performance issues. I also hit the site through our 200MB link from another carrier to see if it was just Cox and got the same. Sure they will figure it out.

They are saying you are all routing through Comcast and that appears to be the issue how Comcast handles their particular servers, which I guess they can contact Comcast and fix it, or at least stream line it.

But they are working on it as I write this, and getting to the bottom of this.

It appears as I said, and why only certain people experience it as compared to others, that it is with only a particular ISP .

Thanks for all you do. If I were tech-ier I could probably give better info.....

Comcast huh? Cox probably gets its feed from them.

if you do a tracert from the command prompt to the www address you have an issue with you can see how it routes.

As some of you already know - I'm the co-founder of GeoVario LLC - the hosting provider that Snipershide.com uses.

As an introduction I'm a NRA lifetime + FFL03 collector - I love my firearms - and I love the 1st amendment. As such my company is happy to do everything we can do to make sure we all can enjoy Snipershide.com (I read plenty of posts here too).
smile.gif

As for GeoVario LLC; we currently run on an OC192 fiber - we route through ATT, Level3, Cogent, XO, Savvis, Mzima, etc... all the major tier1 providers most of which are fiber OC48 networks. We are commonly told "wow my site is really quick on your service!"

In general GeoVario LLC; does it's best to "pester" the various ISPs that you all have reported your problems from. But humorously we have folks deployed in Iraq that have better more reliable performance getting to this site; than some of you in AZ, KY, NJ.

As I said we can "pester" the various ISPs when Lowlight reports them. But many times - these ISPs tell us - "you aren't our customer". If you find odd behaviors like "I hit refresh" and then the site works fine for the rest of the time... or some images load and some don't... do the WW2 mantra... do accuracy by volume.

1. Complain to your local ISP; tell them you are trying to get to "www.snipershide.com" and it's unreliable. [[ that I hit refresh and then it works implies your local ISP is using a caching device that needed to be woken up ]].

2. Do a "tracert www.snipershide.com" or "traceroute www.snipershide.com" - take the output and send it to GeoVario's support team - 'support at geovario.com'

<span style="color: #CC66CC">EDIT - also please go to - http://whatismyipaddress.com/ - and find out what your public IP address is - then email both the traceroute and your public IP to - 'support at geovario.com'</span>

As an example - I'm currently 500 miles away from the datacenter - and my average time to get a page is less than 2 seconds; folks in Iraq have said bouncing off satellites is still generally less than 20 seconds. [[ and their traceroute will be in the 250ms range, but it will complete in less than 30 hops ]]

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Here is an example of a "tracert" (traceroute) from our Silicon Valley, CA (Bay Area offices on Comcast Business Cable) - 13 hops from start to finish.

The important part is - the total number is less than 30 hops. Also that it completes at all - when a local ISP is having internal routing problems you may see things like a bunch of "* * * *" and no information. GeoVario allows full tracert and ping from anywhere in the world to better allow for ease of diagnostic.

C:\>tracert www.snipershide.com

Tracing route to www.snipershide.com [206.125.47.33]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 1 ms <1 ms <private IP removed>
2 2 ms 1 ms 1 ms <router IP removed>
3 9 ms 9 ms 9 ms <public IP removed>
4 12 ms 9 ms 14 ms te-1-5-ur09.sanjose.ca.sfba.comcast.net [68.85.1
91.233]
5 11 ms 11 ms 14 ms 68.85.155.38
6 13 ms 11 ms 11 ms pos-1-7-0-0-cr01.sanjose.ca.ibone.comcast.net [6
8.86.90.153]
7 22 ms 21 ms 21 ms pos-0-8-0-0-cr01.losangeles.ca.ibone.comcast.net[68.86.85.82]
8 34 ms 21 ms 31 ms 75.149.231.238
9 27 ms 21 ms 21 ms ge0-calpop.cust.lax02.mzima.net[72.37.172.90]
10 20 ms 21 ms 21 ms 64.27.17.190
11 21 ms 21 ms 21 ms unassigned.calpop.com[64.27.16.2]
12 22 ms 21 ms 21 ms 208.70.76.82
13 22 ms 21 ms 21 ms 206.125.47.33

Trace complete.</div></div>

Ok, target is painted... problems you can't figure out - 'support at geovario.com'

Let's work together to enjoy this place.

-Michael

Michael, thanks for all you do.
I did the above and I got this- I don't know what it means though......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\******>tracert www.snipershide.com

Tracing route to www.snipershide.com [206.125.47.33]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms <1 ms <1 ms ***.***.*.*
2 16 ms 9 ms 10 ms *.*.*.*
3 10 ms 16 ms 7 ms *************
4 9 ms 10 ms 11 ms mcdldsrj01-ae2.0.rd.ph.cox.net [70.169.76.225]
5 37 ms 43 ms 38 ms paltbprj02-ae2.0.rd.pt.cox.net [68.1.2.160]
6 36 ms 62 ms 36 ms te9-1.ccr02.sfo01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.0.1
77]
7 53 ms 63 ms 52 ms te3-8.ccr01.lax01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.3.1
37]
8 39 ms 37 ms 40 ms te3-2.ccr01.lax04.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.24.
62]
9 67 ms 69 ms 77 ms 38.104.83.210
10 37 ms 37 ms 43 ms unassigned.calpop.com [64.27.16.2]
11 70 ms 67 ms 68 ms 208.70.76.82
12 42 ms 38 ms 67 ms 206.125.47.33

Trace complete.

C:\Documents and Settings\Eacret></div></div>

Greek to me.....
I did get this from my ISP (Cox) today in my email:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The abuse team does not handle this type of issue. Please have these users call into their local support for assistance with this issue.

Sincerely,

The Cox Customer Security Department

--- The following material was provided to us as evidence ---

[Part 0 (plain text)]

Hello,

We have a half-dozen reports from various users in your network that
have been experiencing a number of problems getting to websites we host.

The current list of IPs in your network that are reporting problems to
us are:

X.X.X.X
X.X.X.X
**.***.*.***

As shown in this traceroute taken about 10 mins ago; latency is rather
high 50+ ms. The above mentioned 3 users are attempting to get to one
of our hosted sites on - X.X.X.X; please investigate with upstream
providers - as you appear to have a lot of latency.

traceroute X.X.X.X
traceroute to X.X.X.X (X.X.X.X), 30 hops max, 40 byte packets
1 X.X.X.X (X.X.X.X) 0.365 ms 0.436 ms 0.572 ms
2 X.X.X.X (X.X.X.X) 3.564 ms 3.557 ms 3.545 ms
3 unassigned.calpop.com (X.X.X.X) 3.533 ms 3.548 ms 3.541 ms
4 xe-5-1-0.edge1.LosAngeles9.Level3.net (X.X.X.X) 3.492 ms
3.503 ms 3.496 ms
5 ae-2-70.edge2.LosAngeles9.Level3.net (X.X.X.X) 3.527 ms
ae-3-80.edge2.LosAngeles9.Level3.net (X.X.X.X) 3.521 ms
ae-2-70.edge2.LosAngeles9.Level3.net (X.X.X.X) 3.501 ms
6 COX-COMMUNI.edge2.LosAngeles9.Level3.net (X.X.X.X) 3.573 ms
1.487 ms COX-COMMUNI.edge2.LosAngeles9.Level3.net (X.X.X.X) 2.475 ms
7 mcdldsrj01-ae1.0.rd.ph.cox.net (X.X.X.X) 48.862 ms 48.888 ms
48.877 ms
8 fwlrsysc01-te-8-2.ph.ph.cox.net (X.X.X.X) 50.726 ms 50.011
ms 50.685 ms
9 X.X.X.X (X.X.X.X) 50.074 ms 50.665 ms 50.654 ms
10 * * *
11 * * *
12 * * *
13 * * *
14 * * *
15 * * *
16 * * *
17 * * *
18 * * *
19 * * *
20 * * *
21 * * *
22 * * *
23 * * *
24 * * *
25 * * *
26 * * *
27 * * *
28 * * *
29 * * *
30 * * *

</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Michael, thanks for all you do.
I did the above and I got this- I don't know what it means though......

</div></div>

That's funny... yeah Cox Communications replied to GeoVario with that same exact email as well - basically saying "you aren't our customer" go away.
smile.gif

You should open a ticket with them saying; "Going to www.snipershide.com is unreliable - fix it."
smile.gif

As for the traceroute results - can you also go to "http://whatismyipaddress.com/" find out what your public IP address is - and then email both your public IP and the traceroute results to:

support at geovario.com

Thanks!

-Michael

Another thing came to mind.

At the bottom of every single page you'll see this:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Generated in 0.047 seconds in which 0.023 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression enabled.