• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

interval between shots

yej0001

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2011
Northern CA
Happy New Year to everyone!

Here is a question on time intervals between pulling trigger during practice sessions. To prevent over-heating the barrel therefore minimizing the throat erosion and maintaining consistent internal ballistic parameters, I was told it's instrumental to keep intervals between each shot. I have heard 30 seconds versus 1 minute between trigger pulls. What's the consensus? Myth or truth?

Re: interval between shots

I shoot when I'm ready to shoot. I don't worry about how long it's been since I fired my last shot. When my barrel is done I'll have another one put on. It's a tool, I use it as such.

i wait 3 minutes between each shot when shooting magnums. 5 minutes between each 3 shoot group with non magnum rifles..Just my way of doing it.Your barrel will tell you when it gets hot for sure.

What i tend to go by is felt heat on the barrel. When the barrel gets hot enough to where its uncomfortable to grab.
I never shot fast enough to be uncomfortable with its heat and have to stop.

The time method isnt very good in my opinion because different contoured barrels heat up faster/slower so you cant just count on that(no pun intended).

I like to hold at least 5 min. I normally totally break my position and I have to rebuild everything. I shoot long range mainly for hunting so first round hits are everything.

+1 for RPK762.

If I'm shooting groups, I'll wait 10 minutes between shots. Overkill??? Perhaps, but that's the way I elect to do it,so there, enough said about that.

Extended times between shots allow me to replicate cold bore shots as closely as possible.

Like RPK, I use my rifle for hunting, so I'm not afforded the luxury of taking a couple or 3 fouling or warm up shots before I take my first "fire for effect".

When working up loads 30 sec to 1 min with a barrel check every 5 rounds, if it feels too hot. I take a break, bring the target back or whatever.

When shooting groups sometimes I will go 1 min between shots, but that is not the norm.

My rifles are dual duty hunting and target so I practice how I shoot. If I go faster, then I wait between strings. Long waits are great for target and precision, but if you are practicing for competition or recovery shots in hunting, 1-3 min intervals may not reflect your rifles behavior or spread in those rapid fire scenarios.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phylodog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shoot when I'm ready to shoot. I don't worry about how long it's been since I fired my last shot. When my barrel is done I'll have another one put on. It's a tool, I use it as such. </div></div>

1+. It is a tool so depending on your application. The idea is to have fun when doing it.

I shoot in strings of 15-20. How fast I place the shots depends on targets and conditions. After a string of fire I will let it cool for a few minutes. I find a string of 20 shots is my limit then the Mirage from the can gets to be too much. I am not sure how fast between the shots but I have been able to place shots right at the point of when the previous empty casing hits the ground. It doesn't matter for me if shooting magnums or not.

At the 1000 yard matches we shoot you have 2 minutes to fire your 3 shots. I guess I'd like to know when practicing that the gun will shoot where it supposed to for those 3 shots in that time frame. We do the same in practice, and if we fire more we grab the barrel like others have mentioned and if uncomfortable to the touch open the bolt and let it cool a bit while someone else shoots.

I'd get bored to death and be climbing trees if I waited 10 minutes between shots. This is another one of those things like cleaning the bore that will get a wide variety of responses. If ya feel good doing it for whatever reason then keep at it.

Topstrap

I know some folks will never let their barrels get uncomfortably warm. Others keep a low rate of fire to minimize mirage.

Practically speaking, NRA long-range highpower matches specify two shots or unlimited sighters and 15 or 20 rounds within a specified time period (i.e., 22 rounds in 22 minutes; 15 rounds in 20 minutes; 20 rounds for score in 30 minutes (or similar variations). I assume bench-resters do something similar (qualifier: I have never shot a formal competitive benchrest match). Usually this is to keep the pace of shooting within finite times, testing the rifleman's ability to read winds and conditions so 10, 15, or 20 round matches don't stretch contests into all day long events.

Didn't LL debunk the myth about the barrel getting too hot?

I'm with Phylodog on this. Let it rip when I am good and ready.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Didn't LL debunk the myth about the barrel getting too hot?

I'm with Phylodog on this. Let it rip when I am good and ready. </div></div>

+1