• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Into the lands

Kevin 53

Private
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2011
mississippi
I'm new at reloading and I made a mistake. Yea dumba$$ me. I thought I was 15 thousandths from the lands instead I was that much into the lands. No pressure signs and the groups at 600yds. are unreal tight. I'm shooting a 6.5 creedmoor and the load is on the hornady 140 gr a max match box. The only thing different is the O.A.L. My question Is this safe? Do shooters seat bullets into lands for better groups ? Any other advice will be greatful.

Thanks kevin

Re: Into the lands

shooters try all to have unreal tight groups without jamming,exploding,or other problems_ if you REALLY don'have abnormal pressure signs,be happy and enjoy your groups_ (the first move to obtain a decent reloadin' recipe,for me as for an huge amount of others misguided childrens, often start with the bullet touching the lands,even if not everytime we are lucky as you)_ relax and light a cigar_

I recently got a barrel with chamber that was way to tight, 2.64 OAL (140's) to lands. Immediately after I spun the barrel on I took it to the range and shot some factory 140's (2.81 OAL). It shot fine, but doesn't mean it's safe. There are multiple variables that can cause a safety issue.

High pressures:
-amount and type powder
- volume of case
-seating into the lands
-neck tension

You have to start testing on the low end of these variables before you start moving to hotter loads on the lands. You'll see pressure signs as you progress. Otherwise you are rolling the dice.

This is from the stickie at the top of the reloading forum, titled, Hand Loading for Long Range 3: finding start OAL:

"...Lastly- one final note and word of caution. Now that we know at what measurement OFF THE OGIVE our bullet –touches- the riflings, we will start our load development .010” jammed into the riflings. That is .010” LONGER than the dimension we figured up through this described process. That number was just touching the riflings. Most rifles like to be about .010” in (“Jammed”) This is the OAL we will start our powder make & charge test’s with. (Next chapter.)

However it is IMPERATIVE you understand the following. On occasion the rifle will prefer a different bullet/rifling relation. Perhaps it be .015” jammed, or .030” out of the rifling totally or .030” “jump.” But START ALL LOAD WORK JAMMED! This is because in the next chapter we are going to learn what actual MAX load for this rifle is with a given powder and this bullet. Being jammed into the riflings increases pressure! So as long as we learn our max powder charge while jammed, we are okay. HOWEVER, if we were to (think we) learn(ed) what max charge was without our bullet jammed and then jam it into the riflings, coupled with a max powder charge in search of a most accurate bullet setting we could blow up our rifle, loose both our eyes, our hearing a good portion of our face and destroy the rifle- that is if we come out of it alive. That all sounds scary, which is a good thing...."

Thanks for the info it's all been helpful. Mr. Dobbs thank you for pointing out the stickie I have seen them but never clicked on them. Now I will ALOT

Thank you kevin

One side effect you need to consider is that with light neck tension, you can pull the bullet out of the case when you eject a live round. This will dump powder into the chamber and it is a bear to clean out thoroughly (in the lug recesses) before you can chamber another round. This may not happen at .015" in, but is something to be aware of and test.

With my match rifle i'm jammed more than .015 in the lands but my bolt is still easy to close and I can easily eject a loaded round without dumping my powder in the chamber or having to force the bolt open. When doing load developement I worked the load up jammed so I know its still a safe load pressure wise. For this particular rifle/bullet combo it loves to be jammed. Groups open up when I pull it out the lands but the farthest i've tried it out of the lands is .020 so it might shoot great jumped more than that but it would limit me on powder capacity with these big bullets. Just be careful and watch closely for pressure signs.

Thanks guys for the help. I'm going to back off the powder charge and go .015 into the lands and work up the powder charge. Hope the tight groups show back up with a safe charge.

Thank you Kevin

Update: I went back and read the stickie up top on reloading and followed the instructions step by step to find max load with .010 into the lands and I have a four shot group with different charges that grouped 2 1/2" at 600 yds. Now I will take these four charges and break them down to more loads to find the one load I will keep as the stickie says to do. Thanks guys I would not have found it without y'all.

Thank you kevin