• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Introduction: Rem 700 + Trigger Question

ASH556

Private
Minuteman
Mar 4, 2009
Braselton, GA
Hello Gents,
This is my first post on this forum. I've played around with long-range shooting on and off over the last 7 or so years. I began in college with a used 700 Varmint that had some work done to it, but I sold it (poor college kid). I've since graduated, gotten married, and have a "real" job now. The first firearm I purchased since then was a Rem 700 SPS Tac.
Here's Mine:
Rem 700 SPS Tac
Steel Bedded in HS LTR Stock
Nightforce 20 MOA Base
Nightforce Rings
Leupold LRT M3 3.5-10x40 Mil-Dot/308M cam
Badger Knob
Harris Bipod
Turner Sling
Added since pic - B.A.L.S. Stock Pack w/Sandbag - cool piece of kit, mobile sandbag!
Black Hills 175GR
IMG_1898.jpg

100yds - 2 rnds @ top of Dot to confirm zero, 5 rnds @ bottom for zero (after adjustment, gotta love full MOA Elevation:rolleyes:)
100yd.jpg

600yds/2" Dot: First 3 shots at 600 just by dialing the cam and pulling the trigger. Not bad, about a 2.75" spread. There was just a little wind that day. It showed up more when I went out to 700. The range I shoot at has trees on either side of the shooting lane until about 500, but then opens up, so you don't feel the wind from the shooting position, but it's there further out, so reading mirage becomes important.
600yd.jpg

Now I feel that I need to upgrade the trigger to something better. What is the general consensus on the Xmark trigger? The adjustment screw doesn't seem to change much, and it bugs me. What is a good, solid trigger to put in this rifle? How hard is a 700 trigger to change? (I've built several AR's from the ground up including barrels/rails. Is it more involved than that?)

Thanks, and I look forward to learning here!

Re: Introduction: Rem 700 + Trigger Question

Shooting is good judging by the targets. Is it an X-Mark or the X-Mark pro? Is the adjustment screw on the trigger shoe or the housing?

I posted this a couple of times in other places. I spent $6.00 on a spring from erniethegunsmith.com for the X-Mark pro, installed it, and did the final adjustment. The trigger on my SPS is breaking clean at 2.5# verified and consistantly. Before I get jumped on, I may have gotten a good trigger to start with, but now it is clean, crisp and consistant which I believe is the key. If you are having good results with the current trigger, why not adjust and get the most out of it?
jmho...

There's really nothing wrong with the x mark trigger, and a tuned stock trigger can be just as good as a aftermarket one. I don't much care for the adjustment screw hanging out of the top of the x mark, but even thats not a huge deal. You would probably benefit more from practicing trigger control over installing a new one. If you feel like you just have to upgrade, shilen, jewell and huber all make excellent triggers, there is also rifle basix and timney for the more economically inclined.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why do you feel you NEED to upgrade the trigger? </div></div>

To be honest, it's just the only part on the gun that I feel is sub-par. However, that is largely based upon heresay from others. If it's false, then it's false. I guess I was concerned with the screw falling out or the trigger breaking internally somehow. Probably not a concern from what I'm hearing here.

Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ASH556</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why do you feel you NEED to upgrade the trigger? </div></div>

To be honest, it's just the only part on the gun that I feel is sub-par. However, that is largely based upon heresay from others. If it's false, then it's false. I guess I was concerned with the screw falling out or the trigger breaking internally somehow. Probably not a concern from what I'm hearing here.

Thanks! </div></div>

Nothing to worry about with proper care and cleaning. After the trigger is set to no creep or overtravel and to a pull weight you are happy with then you will not be giving very much up to the aftermarket stuff. I will say however the aftermarket triggers feel nicer on the finger, but thats just personal preference I think.

If you've just gotta change the trigger, both the Timney and Shilen triggers are nice single stages. It depends on what you like. The Timney trigger is WIDE and thick. I actually took 1/32" off of each side to make it more comfortable. The Shilen trigger is narrow and slim. I think the Shilen breaks more cleanly. If I had to choose between the two, I'd take the Shilen; although the Shilen model with the bolt stop and safety has been hard to come by.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ASH556</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why do you feel you NEED to upgrade the trigger? </div></div>

Thanks! </div></div>

Buy a Trigger pull scale, ignore the screw through the trigger and the engagement screw (back side), loosen the overtravel screw 1/2 turn (front top) turn in the trigger pull screw (bottom front) until you have reached your desired pull, or the best you can, snug the overtravel screw back down. (nail polish back over the screw so Remington won't btch)

Full directions below, but the sight is not up at this second.

http://www.quarterbore.com/library/articles/rem700trigger.html

I just replaced the trigger on my 5R Milspec with a 1.5# Timney.

The stock X-Mark pro was okay, but the "adjusting" screw only took it down to about 3# from the factory 3.5# setting - and then it stuck out too far.

I probably would have taken the X-Mark pro to a smith, but after running across a post with pics of one of these (cheap, cast aluminum) triggers breaking off at the adjustment screw, it had to go.

I sure don't mind getting a trigger job if a gun needs one, but I don't want to worry about a cheap part snapping in half.

Next part to go will be the bottom metal for a Williams drop-in steel floorplate. Same story. I don't want to worry about about the cheap cast aluminum part failing if I torque the stock to H-S Precision's recommended 65 in/lbs.

Those are the only parts I intend to replace, as the rest of the rifle seems to be pretty decent quality.

I honestly liked the older x mark triggers more than the improved. The older was easy to adjust and took little effort to turn it into a decent trigger given that it was fully adjustable. My newer "improved" x mark trigger always breaks heavy on the first pull at almost 5 lbs and then seeing 3 to 3.5 after. I cleaned it thoroughly which made it more consistant but still varied around a half pound. Just my experience. The trigger was pretty easy to change. Most will worn you about paying attention to the bolt release when taking it apart, but even if you don't its pretty simple. Just need the right tools. I changed the improved with a jeweled trigger which was awesome, but to me still lacked a little attention on the bolt release mechanism. The x marks was polished and operated very smooth, and the jeweled looked to be a slightly brushed stainless that you could feel hang when operating but over all the jeweled trigger was awesome.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bowhunter_0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sounds and looks like gun site hills... </div></div>

That it is. Do you shoot there much?

would love to shoot out there more. only problem it is just under 300 miles from my front door to there. really sucks because it is a nice range for what it is. very unique too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redirt78</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You guys have any gunsmith's around here to recommend? </div></div>

Thanks for the kind comments. As far as gunsmiths, it depends upon what you want done, and to what weapon. For bolt-guns, re-finishing, and general gunsmithing, Bullseye in Lawrenceville uses Dave Anderson, and he does some excellent work (did the work on my rifle).

Yeah sorry, bolt guns for the most part. One needs a good muzzle break (Rem 7mag Sendero reamed to STW). Looking to get one barrel crowned (T/C 7mm08). Might want a custom barrel fitted to a Rem 700 short action I got recently and maybe Duracoat or a quality finish for one or two of them (not all at once, I stay broke)

Sorry I junked up your thread, just saw a few of you from Georgia on here, should of just pm'd you. Hope somebody helped you out with your trigger questions

Thanks for the info, let me know if any of that sounds like it should go somewhere else.

there is one smith down around my area. dont know how close it is to you.

http://coastalgun.com/

clyde has done some work for me before. prices are good i will say that he is a very busy man so have patience when trying to get ahold and have work done by him.

i have been looking at a jewel hvr trigger for the rifle i am building. i have shot jewel triggers and i liked them alot but i have never owned one.
i have been shooting a tuned stock trigger in my 700p and have not complained about it but since i am building a new rifle from the ground up i decided on the jewel hvr.
just another opinion but i have high expectations.

bcpdshooter